Willie Henderson

Those are the remarks thrown at those on this forum that speak out against the bigots, so does that mean a man that made 426 appearances for our club is to be tarnished with the same brush? What if our manager comes out and speaks against it, or our incoming manager and greatest ever goalscorer? Will they be labelled as no longer being true Rangers men just so the deluded bigots can keep on thinking they're the ones in the right.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/rangers/do-these-people-not-take-on-board-how-serious-the-repercussions-will-be-1.1095267

‘Do these people not take on board how serious the repercussions will be?’

GRAEME MACPHERSON

8 Apr 2011

Now aged 67, neither the brain nor the body of Willie Henderson seem to be slowing down.

His physical attributes will be pushed to the limit later this year when he sets off, along with a group of 20 or so football fans, on a trek across the Gobi desert to raise money for charity.

The 100-mile journey across unforgiving landscape will be made even more arduous by a weather range that will go from a scorching 40°C during the day, before plummeting below zero at night.

Henderson’s motivation during the tough times will be to recall the reason he is putting himself through it all, to raise money for the Davie Cooper Centre and Motor Neurone Disease Scotland, the illness that claimed the life of Jimmy Johnstone, the former Celtic winger who was a close friend of Henderson’s up until his death.

“I used to go and see Jimmy and motor neurone is a brutal, brutal disease,” said the former Rangers player. “Jimmy had the heart of a lion and the strength of an ox – but he could not get a punch at it. So when I was thinking about who I was going to do this for, he was the first one that came into place. I also knew people were trying to raise funds for the Davie Cooper Centre for people with disabilities, and I thought that was ideal again.

“I have been training on a daily basis, on the treadmill and lifting weights. I have to get a good hit at it.”

Mental toughness will not be a worry. Whatever Henderson lacks in terms of physique – he barely measures 5ft 5in on his tiptoes – he makes up for in determination and doggedness. When you’re that size and a winger, you soon learn how to roll with the punches, and the kicks, and the fouls.

Neither has Henderson ever been slow to speak his mind. His forthrightness has occasionally caused him problems – his fall-out with then Rangers manager Willie Waddell in 1972 cost him the chance of playing in his second Cup Winners’ Cup final – but few can deny he speaks from the heart. On the subject of his former club being possibly fined and supporters banned from away games by Uefa after fresh allegations of sectarian singing, Henderson sighs before offering his damning verdict.

The inspiration for the Mongolia trek was Barney Curley, a gambler and horse owner who learned from his mistakes to turn around his life. Henderson believes, though, that there are some in the Rangers support so entrenched in their ways that they will never change.

“Thousands of fans throughout the world love Rangers,” he said. “And there is a minority spoiling it for them all. What are they waiting on before they stop it? Are they waiting for UEFA to say that this game is going to be played behind closed doors?

“These people actually don’t realise this isn’t going to end well. Do they not take on board how serious the repercussions will be? Do they actually think it can’t happen? If you get people like Walter Smith speaking out . . . well, if they’re not going to listen to him, what chance have you got?

“The club is in a very difficult situation financially now. Surely the fans have got to understand that, if you get banned from games or have games played behind closed doors, that’s going to make it a hundred times worse. What I would say to people out there is just behave and respect one other.”

Henderson, a publican in West Lothian, believes the demon drink may have a large part to play in some supporters’ behaviour on away trips.

“I sometimes think alcohol doesn’t know about [the right way to behave] and that’s a part of it. There will be some people caught up in it all, singing at these games. When they sober up in the morning, they don’t realise they’ve been involved to that extent. It’s not an excuse but drink changes people’s behaviour. Some of the songs are just way over the top, really nasty and that’s on both sides of the fence, by the way. I know tons of Celtic supporters who are disgusted with their own supporters.”

Henderson was in the Rangers team that reached the 1967 Cup Winners’ Cup final and said he couldn’t have imagined getting there without the backing of a noisy away support along the way. And while he believes that the prospect of banning Rangers fans from attending matches in Europe next season is somewhat draconian, he concedes it may be the short, sharp shock that the more boorish supporters need.

“Having your fans with you away from home in Europe is very, very important,” he added. “The repercussions across the board would be enormous [if the supporters were to be banned]. I don’t think anyone wants that. But, if it’s going to take that to sort them out and realise the real damage they’re doing to the club, maybe it would be worth it.”

They can't exactly come out and say "carry on" can they when quizzed with a loaded question like that? I'm amazed at the stupidity of some people on here.

A loaded question like what? There's the problem right there, you right away assume that the media have twisted his words so that he's forced to give an answer that goes against the bigots. Maybe he's simply a decent human being and Rangers man and feels that bigotry is wrong. I'm also amazed at the stupidity of some people on here!

A loaded question like what? There's the problem right there, you right away assume that the media have twisted his words so that he's forced to give an answer that goes against the bigots. Maybe he's simply a decent human being and Rangers man and feels that bigotry is wrong. I'm also amazed at the stupidity of some people on here!

Nice way to dance around it.

Do you honestly expect him to come out and say "just carry on Bears" ... anything else the man might have had in the pipeline media related, after dinner speaking or Rangers related would be out the fucking window.

And again, your another that's no better than a taig. Bigotry you say? tell me what bigoted songs we sung in Eindhoven or any other time for that matter. You've fallen for the same trap hook line and sinker.

Come back to me when you know the meaning of a few words/phrases such as "loaded question" and "bigotry" .. thanks.

Why don't they ask Willie Henderson, Walter Smith, Barcelonabear, StevieJ et al the following question

"What is more detrimental to Scottish society, a couple of hundred Rangers fans singing the Billy Boys in Eindhoven or segregating generation after generation of children at the age of five on sectarian grounds?"

Why don't they ask Willie Henderson, Walter Smith, Barcelonabear, StevieJ et al the following question

"What is more detrimental to Scottish society, a couple of hundred Rangers fans singing the Billy Boys in Eindhoven or segregating generation after generation of children at the age of five on sectarian grounds?"

:clap:

Jimmy had the heart of a lion , and the strength of an ox - but he couldn't get a punch at it.

He would have done had it been a woman!

Henderson castigates those who sing bad songs, whilst singing the praises of that wee alky wife beater.

Fuck off, Willie.

He was quite happy when the so called bigots were helping pay his wages.

This. :clap:

I often see the wee man pre-match as he heads in (early doors) to one of the hospitality suites in the Bill Struth Stand.

I've never uttered a word in his direction.

That may change. :angry:

Willie used to let a Celtic Supporters Club run out his pub in Broxburn too, i'm not going to criticise his place in our clubs history but that says a lot for me.

It confirms to me what I have been hinting at mate. Money and earnings first, the truth second.