Messi

What's amazing is that he has come along at the same time as a player who would have been a standout statistical marvel in any other era - Cristiano Ronaldo, who is just getting overshadowed by the little man.

:lol: :lol:

I did actually mean to say Madrid there. Ye's are aw dicks.

Aye, but what was Puskas record for one season?

Wikipedia reckons 52 goals in 1959/60 (the year he scored four in the European Cup final at Hampden)

Wikipedia reckons 52 goals in 1959/60 (the year he scored four in the European Cup final at Hampden)

Messi will beat that easily.

I love the story about Jim Baxter taking Puskas out after a match at Ibrox in Europe, both getting shitfaced and upto their necks in clunge.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't know that story.

It's in a book I have upstairs. I can't remember which one. It might be in Ten Days That Shook Rangers.

It was within the chapter about Baxter's broken leg in Vienna and the effect it had on Rangers in their quest for European glory in the 64/65 season. They still went onto win the game but, despite fighting bravely, lost against Inter Milan in the Quarter Finals.

That chapter focuses around Slim Jim's incredible influence on the squad as a whole and his world-renowned ability on the pitch.

Within hours of his leg break in Austria, another player went to his hotel room after the match to see how he was only to find him with his broken leg, in a cast, over some Austrian bird with the champagne on ice. :lol:

It's in a book I have upstairs. I can't remember which one. It might be in Ten Days That Shook Rangers.

It was within the chapter about Baxter's broken leg in Vienna and the effect it had on Rangers in their quest for European glory in the 64/65 season. They still went onto win the game but, despite fighting bravely, lost against Inter Milan in the Quarter Finals.

That chapter focuses around Slim Jim's incredible influence on the squad as a whole and his world-renowned ability on the pitch.

Within hours of his leg break in Austria, another player went to his hotel room after the match to see how he was only to find him with his broken leg, in a cast, over some Austrian bird with the champagne on ice. :lol:

:lol:

I briefly met Baxter (more of a I saw and he waved than met really) a couple of years before he died. Would love to go for a drink with him now. Although I suppose that's terrible to say.

:lol:

I briefly met Baxter (more of a I saw and he waved than met really) a couple of years before he died. Would love to go for a drink with him now. Although I suppose that's terrible to say.

Pele's infamous quote sums it up for me. Although everyone's heard it before: "I wish he had been Brazilian!"

It really drills home just how great he was.

Even looking back on 9IAR, I still can't get it into my head just how good Laudrup and Gazza were. I wish I'd have been able to watch Baxter, Laudrup and Gazza at Ibrox.