Value of players - us v them

Danny

I know Laudrup did a value of our players thread, and what we found was the only players we have of significant value are probably Barry, Hemdani, Boyd and maybe Buffel, with Boyd and Hemdani being guesswork given they were both free or very cheap.

So, what exactly are we up against in terms of the tims? How much ground do we need to make up?

Their first 11 is probably Boruc (£3M+), Naylor (£1M), Wilson (£1M), McManus (£1M), Pressley(£1m), Lennon (0), McGeady (£2.5), Nakamura(£3M+), Hartley(£1M), JVOH(£4M), and maybe Zurawski(£1.5M)?

Plus they have Gravesen at £2M and Jarosik at £1.5M.

When you look at our squad, we have too many players worth literally half a million and no more, and not enough up at £3M etc.

The tims have at least 3 £3M value players, where we really only have the one for sure.

When you look at it head to head like this, it forces the issue of major squad surgery on our part imo.

I know Laudrup did a value of our players thread, and what we found was the only players we have of significant value are probably Barry, Hemdani, Boyd and maybe Buffel, with Boyd and Hemdani being guesswork given they were both free or very cheap.

So, what exactly are we up against in terms of the tims? How much ground do we need to make up?

Their first 11 is probably Boruc (£3M+), Naylor (£1M), Wilson (£1M), McManus (£1M), Pressley(£1m), Lennon (0), McGeady (£2.5), Nakamura(£3M+), Hartley(£1M), JVOH(£4M), and maybe Zurawski(£1.5M)?

When you look at our squad, we have too many players worth literally half a million and no more, and not enough up at £3M etc.

The tims have at least 3 £3M value players, where we really only have the one for sure.

When you look at it head to head like this, it forces the issue of major squad surgery on our part imo.

not to mention all their CL £££££££ :(

not to mention all their CL £££££££ :(

Aye, fair old point. We would have made a few quid from the Uefa cup, but compared to their £15M from the CL, our income was pocket change.

JvOH was signed for £2.5million and considering he's not been a great success I wouldn't say he's worth any more than than. Similarly no-one will pay £2million for Gravesen or £1.5million for Zurawski.

Actually where did you get your figures? Pressley £1million! Hartley £1million! Mcgeady £2.5million! Jarosik £1.5million!

If they are worth that then you can triple some of the values I gave for our squad the other week!

man for man they are better than us ..maybe 2 or 3 exceptions. But they now have the money and the quality that easily has the better of us.

i just dont know how we are going to compete...we wont get alot of money.. probobly around 3M tops. Celtic will have at least triple that.

We have OK players where they have Good players.

We cant compete with them on any level IMO..until serious money is invested..which it wont be

man for man they are better than us ..maybe 2 or 3 exceptions. But they now have the money and the quality that easily has the better of us.

i just dont know how we are going to compete...we wont get alot of money.. probobly around 3M tops. Celtic will have at least triple that.

We have OK players where they have Good players.

We cant compete with them on any level IMO..until serious money is invested..which it wont be

That's the criminal thing. They're nothing great. They have some good players, but our players are so mediocre by and large that we can't challenge them

How depressing.

JvOH was signed for £2.5million

No. Add a million to that and you're closer.

Ok, I was maybe a bit light there - no matter he's not worth £4million now - that would suggest he has improved at Ce;tic which isn't true.

Care to expand on the other points I made?

JvOH was signed for £2.5million

No. Add a million to that and you're closer.

Ok, I was maybe a bit light there - no matter he's not worth £4million now - that would suggest he has improved at Ce;tic which isn't true.

Care to expand on the other points I made?

You made no points. You pretty much dismissed mine with conjecture. And the fact you're saying now you were light about JVOH suggest there's little point in me taking your other notions seriously either (tu)

:D:D

Your thread was all about conjecture. The fact you have got so many values way out means your notions are pointless as well.

But just in case I am wrong, care to tell us where you got your values from starting with JvoH.

We are not that much worse than Celtic in terms of our strongest 11. They are only noticably stronger in goals, and on the wings IMHO.

We keep hearing about all this money that they will spend, but the truth of the matter is that Celtic's best players this year have been their cheaper buys: Boruc, Naylor and Sno and not the expensive guys. I would rather we were spending less on effective players than millions on guys who will have little impact.

We have to spend money for RFC's sake, not just to match Celtic's spending.

At the end of the day they are far better off in terms of squad depth, however they sign lots of their squad players from the other SPL sides: Riordan, Hartley, Pressley, Caldwell and their fans accept that. Walter is doing that now with Gow, Broadfoot and whoever else he opts to go for. By signing the best players outside the Old Firm it improves our squad dramatically, although some people can't see that.

:D:D

Your thread was all about conjecture. The fact you have got so many values way out means your notions are pointless as well.

The fact you're claiming it's fact that these figures are wrong implies temerity in estimation on your part too (tu)

But just in case I am wrong,
GOD FORBID! :lol:
care to tell us where you got your values from starting with JvoH.

I'll give you a bone:

JVOH - BBC.

Hartley - BBC.

Jarosik - BBC

Gravesen - BBC

Noticing a pattern here ;)

Naka was £2.5M - and has definitely grown.

McGeady is perhaps the only one where I employed real guesswork.

Yea, that's the value they were bought for. I'd say none of them (OK maybe one) have went up in value and I'll give reasons for my educated guesses:

JvOH - £1.5million (constantly injured and goal return poor)

Hartley - £500K (poor since he signed and getting on)

Jarosik - £500K (disappears and has ben very poor at Chelsea and Celtic)

Gravesen - £500K (disppears and has been very poor)

Nakamura - £3million maybe a wee bit more than they signed him - the odd free kick doesn't merit a huge price tag

McGeady - £1million (what has he done for such an inflated value?)

Pressley - £100K (an old man with minimal worth!)

Wilson - £500K (been injured and not as successful as many though)

Zurawski - £300K (he disappears when challenged more often than you!)

All conjecture (not fact obviously) but much more realistic figures than simply saying because they were bought for a certain fee they are still worth that or more despite very ordinary performances (or disappearing for games at a time like a lot of them)!!! :D:D

Jarosik 500K?

people said Sebo was about that value..

What has he done to be worth more?

A failure at Chelsea and a lazy misfit who the Celtic fans I know can't wait to see the back of. As bad as Sebo in that respect (although obviously different players).

dont agree with all your values danny but the main point is celtic have spent money on players and therefore have a lot of players worth £1m+ Look at our side against st mirren at the weekend

Mcgregor - youth

hutton - youth

ehiogu - free

weir - free

papac - £450k

burke - youth

hemdani - free

ferguson - £4m???

adam - youth

boyd - £500k

novo - £450k

prso - free

thomson £2m

Out of the 13 players that played 5 of them cost money and 3 of these only cost half a million or less. Of celtics 13 players that played at the weekend 8 of them cost money, all over 500k and they had a £2m player that didnt even play. If you are going to spend money like that then obviously your team will be worth more.

Jarosik was rated unbelievably high when he played for CSKA Moscow ( i think it was them anyway..? ) theres no way he has dropped all the way to 500K...IMO anyway

Ok, he signed for Celtic for a supposed £1.5-2million after being a failure at Chelsea.

Why would he still be worth more than £1million after also doing nothing at Celtic also bearing in mind he turns 30 this year?

dont agree with all your values danny but the main point is celtic have spent money on players and therefore have a lot of players worth £1m+ Look at our side against st mirren at the weekend

Mcgregor - youth

hutton - youth

ehiogu - free

weir - free

papac - £450k

burke - youth

hemdani - free

ferguson - £4m???

adam - youth

boyd - £500k

novo - £450k

prso - free

thomson £2m

Out of the 13 players that played 5 of them cost money and 3 of these only cost half a million or less. Of celtics 13 players that played at the weekend 8 of them cost money, all over 500k and they had a £2m player that didnt even play. If you are going to spend money like that then obviously your team will be worth more.

good point (tu)

however celtic are where they are today because they have spent money..we have to compete with them in the transfer market to really go for the title next year

Jarosik was rated unbelievably high when he played for CSKA Moscow ( i think it was them anyway..? ) theres no way he has dropped all the way to 500K...IMO anyway

Ok, he signed for Celtic for a supposed £1.5-2million after being a failure at Chelsea.

Why would he still be worth more than £1million after also doing nothing at Celtic also bearing in mind he turns 30 this year?

I agree with this. Isn't getting any younger and people such as Kenny Miller and Zurawski are getting chosen in front of him. 500-750k maximum.

Exactly, as shown by players like Dragan, Fanfan and J-Rod; values don't stay the same when wages are high and performances low.

If anything £500K for the likes of Jarosik and Gravesen is very generous. I'd imagine that like we have been in previous years, Celtic will accept low-ish fees to get them off the wage bill to ensure they can buy new players in the summer.

What's the point of trying to put a value on a player? The value of a player will fluctuate depending on how well the team is doing and how successful that team is. That is one of the reasons why Celtic players are supposedly valued more than ours, but in reality there isn't much difference.

About the only two Celtic players I would actually rate fairly highly are Boruc and Nakamura (think it's spelt right), the rest are only average and this is shown when teams have a go at them, look at their recent results they just scraped a win against Motherwell at the weekend.

Last game at Parkhead we won, and the game before that at Ibrox we played them of the park and should have won comfortably but had to settle for a draw in the end.

Exactly, as shown by players like Dragan, Fanfan and J-Rod; values don't stay the same when wages are high and performances low.

If anything £500K for the likes of Jarosik and Gravesen is very generous. I'd imagine that like we have been in previous years, Celtic will accept low-ish fees to get them off the wage bill to ensure they can buy new players in the summer.

Christ i forgot about the dragan! He never did come out of his lair! :lol:

Transfer fees are all conjecture. BF - worth how much? - not a lot in his last two games thats for sure - my guess 3m max.

MacGregor - 1m

Hutton - 1.5m

UGO - 0

Weir - 0

Murray - 500k

Burke - 750k

BF - 3m

Hemdani - 1m

Thomson - 1.5m

Adam - 750k

Prso - 0

Novo - 500k