Cutting Edge - Gazzas Coming Home

scottjf82

Without a doubt he was one of the best players in the world of his generation and i still believe we were so lucky to see him grace his silky skills at Ibrox, it goes without saying that he was most definitely one of Walter Smith's best signings just a pity that the drink got on top of him as he has so much to offer the footballing world with his knowledge of the game !!!

Gazza :crabflute::praise: forever in our hearts !!!

Gazza coming home with all its "tim threatening to slash him in the throat" is like a fairytail compared to the channel 5 (i think) docu when he was in his mid 30s and he was playing in china.

I was almost in tears when I saw him sing karaoke in a empty Chinese hotel bar.

can anybody remember that one.

I always ask my dad about Gazza.

It's hard to understand just how good he actually was when I never had the privilege of seeing him play.

If you were to compare him to a player of today, in terms of ability, during his stay at Ibrox, who would it be? I want to understand just how good he was.

At this point in time Gazza was the best player in the world no one could touch him

And to think Ray Wilkins straight faced said that the only player that could come near to gazza in Britain as a box to box player was Ian Durrant.

There is a tragedy in the story of Paul Gascoigne going back to when he was a youngster, and he is possibly the most enigmatic British footballer for a long time. Everyone predicted that there would be problems in his ability to handle his state of mind when he quit football, and, alas, that has come to pass. An intriguing figure, and in his own way, a very classy individual

It's hard to understand just how good he actually was when I never had the privilege of seeing him play.

If you were to compare him to a player of today, in terms of ability, during his stay at Ibrox, who would it be? I want to understand just how good he was.

This game IMO was his best for Rangers

Laudrup was amazing, but my personal opinion is paul gascoigne is the gratest technical footballer to play in scotland and for the famous Glasgow Rangers.

To compare in terms of today all i can say is no central midfield player in Britain today can compare. in my opinion again obviously.

He was magical. I have seen all the greats play at ibrox and abroad with the rangers and even taking into account opponents no one player has given me the feeling he did with the ball at his feet.

Fabregas, iniesta, xavi mixed into one. He could simply play for any team in the UK.

Wee scholesy probably at the peak is the only player to compete as the best central midfielder Britain has seen!

Again, all opinions

He is someone i hated - due to being hyped up by the english media and after italia 90 .

Even then you can dislike a football player and yet have to see what skill he really has which you cant dislike .

When he signed for rangers it was like we had won the lottery a superstar with a reputation but a headline showman .

Seen this documentory before and I changed my mind an ordinary lad from the north east

a nutcase lad who liked nothing more than to show off his funny side and at football play for fun his way.

I,m proud he played for rangers and i appreciate the genius not since baxter in our midfield playing football on another level.

Dont know how he is doing with his battles with lifes distractions as since his car accident in newcastle hes been out the news

Hope hes sorting himself out and is getting the support from the people keeping him in check.

It was a bbc3 docu on him in china Im trying to find it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2003/dec/15/comment.martinkelner1

"I am not sure whether this was the most touching sequence or the one in an empty karaoke bar where Gazza bellowed mournfully into the microphone, "England, I miss you". The two songs he sang, with a tunelessness to shock even veterans of Pop Idol, were Against All Odds and I Don't Want to Talk About It, an ironic choice given his keenness to talk about every aspect of his current situation."

At this point in time Gazza was the best player in the world no one could touch him

And to think Ray Wilkins straight faced said that the only player that could come near to gazza in Britain as a box to box player was Ian Durrant.

Besides Roberto Baggio, I don't think I've ever loved a player's dribbling style more than Gascoigne's. His footwork at 1:00 in that video is incredible. With the ball at his feet he was like the classiest continental players, and with a microphone under his chin he was like some daft mouthy gobshite in the pub.

Most paradoxical player I've ever encountered.

Why is that then?

the simple fact that he is beyond help if he even wants it and the fact his numerous driving whilst drunk, he had the accident no long ago where he was in a bad way, yet he could have easily hit a kid or similar any of those times, i adored gazza but as i say that has changed ever so slightly as sad as it is

If Messi was a midfielder, or Ronaldo with out the diving and whinging.

Couldn't beleive it when he put that one past Andy @ euro 96 whit a tosser :)

Couldn't beleive it when he put that one past Andy @ euro 96 whit a tosser :)

I had a goldfish I won at a funfair and I called it Gazza. Then he scored that goal and I was so upset I changed the fish's name to Coisty :mad:

I changed it back after I calmed down :lol:

As much as I loved having Gazza at Ibrox and we were truly blessed to have had him.

He never truly fulfilled his potential,had he taken up Alex Fergusons offer and moved to Man Utd then under Fergies guidance I truly believe he could have been an all time great.

Gazza is still an icon to Newcastle,Tottenham,Rangers and England fans alike,but had the talent to be so much more he should have been up there with Bobby Charlton,George Best and Stanley Mathews as one of the greatest British players ever.

Maybe had he taken up Fergies offer he would have reached this legendary status and wouldn't be in the sad state he is.

Still though that would have meant he never played for the Rangers

ONE PAUL GASCOIGNE

LEGEND