Lafferty big interview, DW row, Coisty relationship, his rep' & on Neil Lennon

Boab

He still cringes at the thought of it - and can't believe he did it.

Kyle Lafferty reflects on his half-time blast at Davie Weir at Pittodrie 18 months ago as one of the low points of his Gers career.

Veteran captain Weir had stormed into the dressing room, with the home side winning 1-0.

He then lambasted the Northern Ireland striker for his attitude in a dismal opening 45 minutes in the Granite City.

Instead of accepting the flak from the team's senior figure, Lafferty chose to slam Weir too.

Unimpressed boss Walter Smith did not take kindly to this and subbed him straight away.

As Lafferty was left to stew it didn't take him long to realise that he had made a monumental error.

He views Weir, 41, as a massive influence and is desperate for him to stay at Ibrox for at least one more season.

He said: "Everyone knows we had an exchange of words at Aberdeen a while back.

"It's probably one of the biggest regrets I've had in my career.

"I've certainly never felt as depressed after any other game as I did that day.

"I was absolutely gutted. Really low. I still don't know why I did it.

"To say what I did to someone like Davie, the way I reacted, was totally out of order.

"Everyone respects Davie, but I think the way I reacted stunned a few people, including myself.

"But we soon put it behind us. Davie's always telling me what I should be doing both on and off the field of play.

"He's an absolute gentleman and I'd love him to stay at the club as a player or a coach.

"He's always providing guidance, whether it's about football matters or even about buying a watch or a car. Davie's there for you.

"I would definitely like him to stay at the club in some capacity.

"If he plays for another year then it's a big bonus for us. Davie's incredibly fit and also a fantastic professional.

"To have someone like Davie around the dressing room and the pitch, giving out orders, would just be brilliant.

"If he decides to hang up his boots - and I hope he doesn't - then I would like to still see him about the club.

"Every player at the club can learn a lot from him."

Read more: http://www.thescotti...l#ixzz1OFvUuR6a

Kyle Lafferty was convinced Ally McCoist didn't rate him as a player, or even as a person.

He was only a few months into his dream move to Rangers and suddenly the doubts were creeping in.

Gers No2 McCoist was on his case big time.

Screaming criticism, firing orders, demanding improvement.

And Lafferty - under intense pressure to prove himself after an eyebrow-raising £3.25million switch from Burnley - was finding it difficult to accept.

Fast forward three years and the striker whose goals have secured Rangers their last three titles now knows the truth.

That is, McCoist does believe in him, does like him - and was only trying to get the best out of him.

But Lafferty - in his most revealing interview yet of a controversy-filled Ibrox spell - confessed to SunSport he endured many anxiety filled weeks worrying about what legend McCoist thought of him.

Of the new Rangers boss, the Ulsterman said: "Our relationship is good. He'll give me a hard time if I'm doing something wrong, but he'll also be the first to call me over if I've done something good.

"He knows what I'm capable of and wants me to do really well.

"Coisty has given me the hardest time over the years of anyone on the backroom staff. The worst b**********.

"But he's done it for the right reasons.

"He'd speak to me after games and explain why he's shouted - and it's because he knows I can do better.

"But in my early days at Rangers it was hard for me to take Ally having a go.

"One moment he would give me the praise, the next he would give the blunt truth.

"At first I was shocked. I wondered why he was shouting at me, if it was because he didn't rate me or even like me.

"But when I finally realised why he was doing it I accepted it was only because he wanted me to do well. Now any criticism I get I try to take on board and work hard to cut out the things he hasn't liked or do them better.

"When I signed for Rangers I think he was happy. He'd heard about me. But later I wasn't too sure if he did like me or not.

"I did some stupid things, some young boy things.

He's still on my case, but I now know for sure that he does rate me. That he does like me. That he's got big expectations for me.

"I watched Coisty when he was a Rangers striker. His goals record for the club speaks for itself. Some people said he was lazy. But he was a striker and he came alive where it mattered - in the box.

"He's been assistant manager for four and a half years and been brilliant alongside Walter Smith.

"Now he's manager and I'm delighted for him. There's no question he's the right man for Rangers and he'll get everything I have.

"Coisty was a brilliant Rangers striker. My problem is that sometimes I work TOO hard for the team.

"I do a lot of running outside the box, but when I get in it I'm maybe not as calm and composed as I should be. A lot of the boys say that to me, Stevie Naismith, Davie Weir, the coaching staff.

"At half-time in games they talk to me about judging my runs better.

"It's never a bad thing working for the team. But I'm a striker and I want to be in the box and score goals. However, I can't see me ever playing football and not working hard for the team."

May 15, 2011, is the day most folk believe Lafferty truly arrived as a Rangers player.

Two goals in just seven minutes at Rugby Park set the Light Blues on their way to a 5-1 thumping of Kilmarnock and an against-the-odds three-in-a-row triumph.

Lafferty completed a sensational hat-trick eight minutes into the second half. Yet, even now the Northern Ireland sriker feels there are Gers fans still refusing to accept he's good enough for the jersey.

The 23-year-old - set to become a dad in December - finished an unforgettable campaign with a magnificent seven goals in the final six games.

But he said: "I still think there will be Rangers fans out there who'll remain convinced I'm not good enough for the club. I don't think it would even matter if I scored 30 a season.

"But I don't really care what they think. It doesn't hurt me, it doesn't affect me. I've just accepted it now.

"I know the true Rangers fans. They backed me all through the times I was doing the stupid stuff and when I wasn't playing well. Every goal I've scored, every title I've helped the team to win, is for them - the real supporters.

"The players know the proper diehards who want to come and watch the team, and those who just want to sing songs and put a dark shadow over Rangers.

"Rugby Park was my best moment in football. The way it all happened and the fact it sealed Three in a Row.

"To score three in the game that won us the league was amazing.

"I'll always have my critics. But the only opinions that matter to me are those of Coisty, Kenny McDowall, Durranty, the coaching staff and my team-mates.

"It wouldn't bother me if every single fan hated me.

"I'm playing for the team I supported since I was a kid."

Read more: http://www.thescotti...l#ixzz1OFvZXk6m

Rangers star Kyle Lafferty last night admitted he regrets taunting Celtic boss Neil Lennon on Twitter.

Lafferty also slammed the sickening hate campaign against Lennon which has seen him targeted by death threats and postal bombs.

The Gers striker - who is interesting Norwich City boss Paul Lambert - angrily clashed with the Hoops gaffer on the Ibrox touchline following a 2-0 win for the Celts on January 2.

Lennon gave Lafferty a verbal blast just a few months after the Light Blues idol had written a gloating Twitter message on the back of an opening derby win at Parkhead.

He tweeted: 'Sweet o very sweet. Hahaha lennon lennon. What's the score hahaha.'

But the Northern Ireland striker conceded that the Celtic boss was justified in retaliating.

And he sympathised with Lennon for what he's had to endure over the last five months.

He said: "I wrote something on Twitter about Neil I probably shouldn't have. I accept that.

"A lot of people saw it and the damage was done. So, I think he had a right to have a pop back at me. If it had been the other way around I would've done it.

"What's happened to Neil Lennon has been sickening. We've had our differences but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

"The guy's got balls. I wouldn't have been able to put up with that. I'd have cracked and left.

"The attack on him at Tynecastle was frightening and he was lucky it wasn't far worse.

"His heart's in the right place. He's got family and I think everything that's happened is WRONG.

"It should've been just about the football, but this season it's been about a lot more and we've all hated seeing it.

"I've never properly spoken to him. There's only been the incident at the start of the year."

Lafferty helped Rangers celebrate a third straight SPL title.

But he insisted: "If Celtic had won the league, and I'd seen Neil, I think I'd have shook his hand. That's because of what he's been through.

"He won the Scottish Cup and deserved it.

"I was pleased he got something for all that he's been through."

Read more: http://www.thescotti...l#ixzz1OFvcrZ9l

Keen on him for next season or would you rather we cut our losses?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always liked him, love it when he does well, criticise him when it's fair but back him when he needs backing and hope he continues to produce the goods for the club.

I actually think he has a fantastic attitude. He might be a bit of an idiot and he has had a history of embarrassing us but over the last season he seems to have grown up a lot and his heart is in the right place. There aren't many young strikers with humility to admit they've acted like a cunt and held their hands up like he has over the Weir thing. I bet Weir respects him for that and that's enough for me.

And at the end of the day, he had a massive part in the most incredible seven minutes I think I've ever had supporting this club. I will never forget the look on his face on the telly as he turned back towards the pitch after running to the fans after his second goal against Killie. It was a look completely free of ego. He looked as amazed as the rest of us.

And at the end of the day, he had a massive part in the most incredible seven minutes I think I've ever had supporting this club. I will never forget the look on his face on the telly as he turned back towards the pitch after running to the fans after his second goal against Killie. It was a look completely free of ego. He looked as amazed as the rest of us.

(tu) Great post

Talk is cheap, especially when you start talking about 'the true fans'.

We've heard this sort of stuff before from him, but raising your game in the last half dozen matches doesn't quite cut it. He needs to do it consistently throughout the season to be taken seriously.

There's something about Kyle I really like- but I can't quite put my finger on it.

If he can play like he does in title run-ins in every game, he'll justify his price tag.

Same (tu)

I remember the first time I had that feeling about him was in the London RSC bar before the Dundee Utd game in 2009. There was a guy at the bar moaning about Lafferty getting a game after the Mulgrew "headbutt" incident a couple of weeks before, saying he should never play for us again, and I just told him to shut up for a while and see what happened, and obviously he opened the scoring :)

Since then, even when he's wound me up, I've tried to cut him some slack.

Never liked him, never will, simply not good enough for us, hate people also that justify Lafferty's general shiteyness by claiming it's because he's being played out of position, you don't need to be playing in your preferred position to be able to pass a ball 5 yards, or have a touch without losing posession. Also, why are the people who think he's not good enough "not real supporters" any more? It's called having an opinion Lafferty

Talk is cheap, especially when you start talking about 'the true fans'.

We've heard this sort of stuff before from him, but raising your game in the last half dozen matches doesn't quite cut it. He needs to do it consistently throughout the season to be taken seriously.

I'm sure he's acutely aware of this.

He's the only player in recent years that I have liked, but haven't particularly rated.

Until the last few months of this season. Up front with Jelavic has brought out the best in Kyle.

Just seems like one of us, living the dream.

Never liked him, never will, simply not good enough for us, hate people also that justify Lafferty's general shiteyness by claiming it's because he's being played out of position, you don't need to be playing in your preferred position to be able to pass a ball 5 yards, or have a touch without losing posession. Also, why are the people who think he's not good enough "not real supporters" any more? It's called having an opinion Lafferty

Cool.

We sort of like, well, let's face it, we wouldn't have won the league without him though would we?

Opinions are like assholes, as they say.

I'm sure he's acutely aware of this.

I agree. He's got the talent to do well, I just don't think he's got enough between his ears to carry it through. Prove me wrong this season, Mr Lafferty and I'll be a happy man.

Quite a few pieces in that interview that will send the usual suspects into fury! :lol:

I like Big Kyle. I think he'll do the goods for us again this season up beside Jelavic.

Everything he has just said was put perfectly. Speaks volumes of how much he has matured in the past couple of seasons. I wasnt his biggest fan when he joined but since that winning goal against Hibs last season I have backed him every time he has pulled on that jersey. Keep it up big Kyle, WATP

Cool.We sort of like, well, let's face it, we wouldn't have won the league without him though would we?Opinions are like assholes, as they say.

Fair enough point, a won't deny that he seems to come alive in the closing games of the season but for me, that doesn't warrant the right to wear a royal blue jersey

I agree. He's got the talent to do well, I just don't think he's got enough between his ears to carry it through. Prove me wrong this season, Mr Lafferty and I'll be a happy man.

(tu)

This is all I fear. He knows what he has to do and has the will to do it but the one doubt I have remaining is with regards to his intelligence. He has made bad decisions in the past. Still, while I'd rather our players weren't talking to the press at all, if I have to read anything from the likes of Lafferty, humility and contrition are exactly what I want to hear.

Nah i don't like what he's got to say. "He doesn't care if every Rangers fan hate's him" well he fucking should, who's paying your wages.

And him talking About "NEIL" and how he regrets posting "lennon lennon whats the score" and how he would shake his hand because of what he's been through.

Why the fuck did Neil fucking Lennon even come in in that Interview. He was supposed to be talking about his time with Rangers, the Rangers coaching staff and players etc.

Fair enough point, a won't deny that he seems to come alive in the closing games of the season but for me, that doesn't warrant the right to wear a royal blue jersey

Sure, but a stated desire to improve, cut out one's own personal bullshit, impress the fans, impress the management and justify one's oft-mentioned price-tag are all encouraging and, along with actually playing well, are all he can do to try to get you onside. He's not going to say "ok, I won't play for Rangers because I'm not good enough" is he? He's here and he's doing what he can to justify that. We should commend him for that.