Steven Whittaker Sealed His Rangers Future At The Club's Title-winning Party

Broxi1872

STEVEN WHITTAKER has revealed he sealed his Rangers future at the club's title-winning PARTY.

The Ibrox star has penned a bumper new five-year contract - ending Bursaspor's bold mega-bucks bid to lure him to Turkey.

But Whitty insists he was NEVER in danger of quitting the SPL champs after boss Ally McCoist cornered him at the end of the season.

He said: "It was after it was all done, at the end of season bash. The manager came to me, took me aside and had a quiet word.

"It was nice to hear, and I was confident then that we could get something sorted.

"It was later on that night, when we were all back at Ibrox.

"Since I've joined it's been a tremendous four years - and it makes you want more.

"We all want it to continue and that's why I've signed."

Bursaspor were desperate to land Scotland star Whitty and were convinced they would be able to tempt him to Turkey with a deal worth around £30,000 a week.

He said: "Bursaspor kept putting bids in, but the club stressed anything that came in was going to be knocked back as they wanted to tie me up.

"I never got the chance to think about going to Turkey.

"I'm enjoying my football here and I was quite happy to commit my future to the club.

"That was the first thing I wanted to be done, it was my first choice."

Whittaker now hopes that team-mate Steven Davis is next to put pen to paper on a new deal.

He added: "Davo is a big player for us so hopefully he'll get something sorted out.

"Hopefully the boss can add to the squad as well and bring in some fresh faces.

"We had a lot of boys join us on loan last year and they all did fantastically well.

"But they've gone back to their own clubs so the squad is even smaller now."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3677366/Party-chat-was-key-to-Whittaker-deal.html#ixzz1RBLTYNUC

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His agent has just secured him a £1m a year deal if the £20k a week reports are true, and earned himself a healthy chunk of money as well, he played the game superbly well getting his client a weekly wage way above his wildest dreams.

Glad it is all done and dusted. Whittaker is a very important player for us, he is exactly the type of player we need. Versatile and with a fantastic attitude, and he can chip in with a number of goals.

His client (Whittaker) wanted to stay at Rangers, i believe that the agent used Bursaspor as the stalking horse to beat up Rangers.

It's a tactic I use in business all the time, using one persons price to force down another except here the agent used one teams offer to drive UP the others.

The agent was doing his job, his client wants to stay but wants his salary increased, the first is apparent, the second is presumed due to the first ... job done !!

A wee point for all those who are slagging the agent here and believing that Whittaker was going nowhere.

If Rangers had told him to stick it after he rejected their offer(s) he would have either had to climb down, play out his final year or move on straightaway. At no point were Bursa discouraged from making steadily increasing bids which also put added pressure on Rangers to increase their bid in order to keep him.

The agent has played a blinder for his client, that is his client who instructs him on what he wants, not the other way round. Stop being so gullible and realise that far from getting booted, he'll be getting a big fat bonus and him and the player will have the cigars out.

The only ones mugged here are Rangers , Whittaker and his agent have screwed us for a fortune for a very average player . He was always going to come out with the ........i was never going to leave .......line , the guys a liar and will be found out again this season ..........

The only ones mugged here are Rangers , Whittaker and his agent have screwed us for a fortune for a very average player . He was always going to come out with the ........i was never going to leave .......line , the guys a liar and will be found out again this season ..........

What like the last 3 seasons with a couple of winners medals tucked away in the cabinet ?

Orange

Thats good for him . Not for Rangers , the guys been a nightmare most of the time and even worse in big games and we throw more money at him !

He should have been booted out . Another joke resigning by McCoist ..........

Really ? So winning 3 in row along with some cups on the way hasn't been good for Rangers ? strange thing for a fan to say ...

and thats down to WHITTAKER ??????????

You wonder if some on here have actually watched this bombscare of a player .......

Well eh YES considering he was part of the 16 players that won the title , your not the brightest bulb in the box are you ...