Hearts Announce Craig Thomson Is To Leave The Club

H72

Convicted defender Craig Thomson to part with Hearts

By Brian McLauchlin

BBC Scotland

Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov has told BBC Scotland that defender Craig Thomson will not play for the Scottish Premier League club again.

Thomson was placed on the sex offenders register last month after admitting to lewd and libidinous behaviour against young girls over the internet.

The 20-year-old had been told that he would be able to resume his career.

But, after speaking to Thomson last week, Romanov had a change of heart and decided his time at Tynecastle is over.

And the owner has now issued a statement on the Edinburgh club's website, saying: "Craig Thomson will leave Heart of Midlothian Football Club imminently.

"The club has considered all implications surrounding the issue and has decided to find a solution for the player to leave the club over the forthcoming days."

Thomson was convicted on 17 June at Edinburgh Sheriff Court following his behaviour towards two girls aged 12 and 14.

He initially resumed training with the club and issued an apology via Hearts' website.

Hearts' backing for the Edinburgh-born player was criticised from various quarters, including supporters' groups, the Children's 1st charity and sponsors.

However, Thomson was then suspended by the club and Lothian and Borders Police subsequently released a statement saying that they were making enquiries into fresh allegations against the player.

The Scotland Under-21 right-back first broke into the Hearts first-team in August 2009 and was a regular feature in Jim Jefferies' side last season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14099136.stm

Was always going to happen when the sponsors threatened to pull out

Though throughout the whole episode, i've actually found myself hating the 'how can i be sure my 5 year old son is safe at Ibrox if he's playing?' mob moreso than Thomson himself

At least I didn't change my username :crabflute:

I'm not new, I'm still the same.

*reaches out but pulls arm back quickly*

You're not...you'll never be the same. :alexander:

Was always going to happen when the sponsors threatened to pull out

Though throughout the whole episode, i've actually found myself hating the 'how can i be sure my 5 year old son is safe at Ibrox if he's playing?' mob moreso than Thomson himself

True.

It's not like he's going to run and jump into the Broomloan, grab him and pump him in front of 50,000 people. He's also not going to walk about with business cards that has his telephone number and MSN adress on it.