***The Open Championship***

pols59

Even harder when you've not got the cash to fork out for clubs, golf lessons, golf academy's etc if my son said he wanted to take up golf seriously I'd find it difficult to constantly come up with money for him to continue, you'll never see a boy from a council house winning a major same goes for tennis

Depends how much the parents are willing to support them. Venus and Serena Williams came from Compton, LA. Or, as they say in the films and songs, "The Hood". Apparently their older sister was gunned down in a drive-by shooting near the courts they learned to play on. If that isn't a difficult background to overcome I don't know what is.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how much the parents are willing to support them. Venus and Serena Williams came from Compton, LA. Or, as they say in the films and songs, "The Hood". Apparently their older sister was gunned down in a drive-by shooting near the courts they learned to play on. If that isn't a difficult background to overcome I don't know what is.

According to wiki the Williams family MOVED from Compton, California to West Palm Beach when Venus was 10 so she could attend the Tennis Academy of Rick Macci, so I dont really go along with the Williams family difficult background theory Jamie but its just my opinion my main point was on golf even though I did mention tennis, I agree with you that EVERY parent should support their kids in what they want to do but if you've not got the money especially when it comes to golf which is an expensive sport to take up what can you do

According to wiki the Williams family MOVED from Compton, California to West Palm Beach when Venus was 10 so she could attend the Tennis Academy of Rick Macci, so I dont really go along with the Williams family difficult background theory Jamie but its just my opinion my main point was on golf even though I did mention tennis, I agree with you that EVERY parent should support their kids in what they want to do but if you've not got the money especially when it comes to golf which is an expensive sport to take up what can you do

You don't get to go to a top tennis academy unless you're a young tennis prodigy :lol: Obviously they had to play and learn before they got there.

I'm sure the dangerous, abject poverty story is exaggerated, but they're still an example of how with enough talent and driven (read: pushy) parents, a child can excel no matter how restrictive their environment.

Obviously golf is harder, since the kit is more expensive and the clubs more exclusive.

You don't get to go to a top tennis academy unless you're a young tennis prodigy :lol: Obviously they had to play and learn before they got there.

I'm sure the dangerous, abject poverty story is exaggerated, but they're still an example of how with enough talent and driven (read: pushy) parents, a child can excel no matter how restrictive their environment.

Obviously golf is harder, since the kit is more expensive and the clubs more exclusive.

Of course you dont get to go to a top tennis academy unless your a young tennis prodigy I agree with you on that one Jamie but I still disagree with your point that a child can excel no matter how restrictive their enviroment is, as I said before if my son said he wanted to take up golf for instance I would do my very best to support him but money would be the problem the further he went on, thats why I originally made the point of the council house boy winning a major golf or tennis tournament, we'll kind of agree to disagree on this one ;)