Smith Steps Up Interest In Koevermans

Craigy

RANGERS have stepped up their interest in Dutch strike star Danny Koevermans.

Boss Walter Smith is believed to have travelled to Holland in person on Sunday to spy on the 28-year-old ace in AZ Alkmaar's 1-0 win over Vitesse Arnhem.

Over the past two months, Smith has dispatched scouts to look at the player who has banged in 25 goals for Alkmaar this term.

Ian Durrant watched him in the Dutch club's recent Uefa Cup tie against Werder Bremen and reported back favourably.

advertisementAnd it now looks as though Koevermans is emerging as Smith's main target to replace the outgoing Dado Prso next season.

It could, however, be a struggle to prise him away from Alkmaar as boss Louis van Gaal is a big fan of the player he has transformed after taking him from Sparta Rotterdam. Also, the transfer fee could also be a major problem.

Figures of around £2million have been mentioned, but sources in Holland say there is no way AZ will allow him to go for that and Rangers could well try to put Thomas Buffel into any deal as van Gaal has expressed an interest in the Belgian in the past.

Smith knows that Prso has to be replaced and finding that man, as well as the on-going pursuit of Hibs midfielder Scott Brown, will be the major priorities of the summer.

I know but Van Gaal rates him highly. £500k max and Buffel hopefully (tu)

He may be rated highly but couldn't he buy out his contract if he wanted or something.

I doubt Smith would watch him if he didnt think we had a chance. Fingers crossed.

I think it would cost £2 million plus Buffel to even tempt Gaal to let him go, impressive scoring record so far:

Sparta Rotterdam - 110 appearances 71 goals

Alkmaar - 39 appearances 23 goals

Edit: Just reading another report and he might be tempted with a straight swap for Buffel.

I know but Van Gaal rates him highly. £500k max and Buffel hopefully (tu)

He may be rated highly but couldn't he buy out his contract if he wanted or something.

I doubt Smith would watch him if he didnt think we had a chance. Fingers crossed.

Wont be able to as hasnt reached the clause yet.

I think it would cost £2 million plus Buffel to even tempt Gaal to let him go, impressive scoring record so far:

Edit: Just reading another report and he might be tempted with a straight swap for Buffel.

Evidence :pipeguy:

Evidence :pipeguy:

Slightly out of date for this season, it is now 25 goals out of 41 appearances (7 appearances as a sub)

http://soccernet-akamai.espn.go.com/player...379&cc=5739

hope the link works

Everton, Bolton and Newcastle have been looking at him too.

Is that no Brown?

No, Danny Koev. Read it in the Newcastle on-line evening paper. Since playing them in the UEFA, there assistant(think its Nigel Pearson??) has watched him and Jaliens on 3 occassions.

If he's thriving in the Dutch league, for a side who may win it, and is second top scorer in the whole league - it's surely pie in the sky to get him for £2M.

If Ribery is worth £15M in an equivalent quality league, why would anyone think a star striker like Koevermans would go for anything less than £5M (and I'm being optimistic there).

If he's thriving in the Dutch league, for a side who may win it, and is second top scorer in the whole league - it's surely pie in the sky to get him for £2M.

If Ribery is worth £15M in an equivalent quality league, why would anyone think a star striker like Koevermans would go for anything less than £5M (and I'm being optimistic there).

Yer Vingeer of Castlemilk only cost 3.5, I think you can bring down the million a notch or two. :rolleyes:

B)-->

QUOTE(Ted I B @ Apr 17 2007, 04:42 PM)

Yer Vingeer of Castlemilk only cost 3.5, I think you can bring down the million a notch or two. :rolleyes:

Van Gaal rates Koevermans higher than JVOH.

I think we are more likely to end up with guys like Killen, Langfield, McCulloch, Gary Naysmith, Graeme Alexander, Gary Teale etc

Gave a wee chuckle to myself, because you are probably right. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised though.

-------------KOEVERMANS--BOYD------------

McCULLOCH--HEMDANI--FERGUSON--TEALE

NAYSMITH----WEIR---WEBSTER-----HUTTON

------------------McGREGOR-------------------

LANGFIELD

ALEXANDER

BROADFOOT

THOMSON

GOW

ADAM

FURMAN

NOVO

Another ST

I can just see it now, punt after punt after punt, shocking balls into the box and no creativity.

Did you all fall out the negative tree.

Koevermaans is 28 and is playing with a small club in a small league.

Boyd is playing with a massive club in a small league and has scored more than Koevermaans........how much realistically for Boyd.....£2.5maybe £3m and he is 23

£1m + Buffel will do it

Did you all fall out the negative tree.

Koevermaans is 28 and is playing with a small club in a small league.

Boyd is playing with a massive club in a small league and has scored more than Koevermaans........how much realistically for Boyd.....£2.5maybe £3m and he is 23

£1m + Buffel will do it

You are forgetting Kovermans maintains his league form with European something Boyd doesn't :pipeguy:

Koevermaans is 28 and is playing with a small club in a small league

Maybe small but almost everyone of their players are better than ours, their standards are higher and they have money, so dont need to sell. They'd also thump us.

And thr Dutch league is miles better than the SPL.