Jock Wallace's Disastrous Start As Rangers Manager.

I consider Ally's start as our manager to be a bit of a disaster so far, mainly due to the European results, but also because I'm not encouraged by the way he has us playing. However, the jungle fighter himself also had a pretty inauspicious start to his reign, so there is always hope as long as we are patient.

Jock's first season started badly. After the early League Cup games, we managed to lose three times in the League before September was finished, to Ayr, the tarriers and Killie. During this time, Wallace dropped our 2 talismen Colin Stein and Bud Johnston, both of whom were about to be controversially sold on.

In a bold move, the manager had decided to go with a teenage rookie at centre forward, first using 18 year old DJ, then going with 19 year old newly born King of Ibrox Park Derek Parlane. He also brought in Cutty for Bud, but we were struggling for consistency.

October was not too much better than the previous month, as we managed to lose to Stenhousemuir at Ibrox (in the 2nd leg of a LC tie), and drop more title points with a couple of draws. The inconsistent form then continued through Novemeber as we tumbled out of the LC to Hibs, before we started December with a League another loss to Hearts.

Thankfully this proved to be a turning point, and we then went unbeaten for the rest of the season, winning 23 games (including the famous Scottish Cup final victory) and drawing 3. Unfortunately though, the bad first few months was to cost us the title as we finished second, a single point behind Celtic.

Sadly, the euphoria of the 1973 Cup win quickly wore off, and we had to endure another tough season the next year, winning nothing and not even being 2nd best in the League.

It was not until after this 2 year roller coaster ride that Big Jock finally brought home the bacon and replaced Celtic's dominance with a stranglehold of our own for a few years, and cemented his place as a Legend at Ibrox. I'd say that this goes to prove that a bad start doesn't always tell us a whole lot about how good a manager is going to be, and also that patience is often needed when it's not started well.

So, maybe we should learn the lessons and be patient with Ally, no matter how the next few months go...although I know fine well how sore it is while we do the waiting.

A Disastrous start for Ally? Top of the league? Hardly "disastrous" is it? If we had lost a few league games as well, maybe, but we haven't.

Being out of Europe at this point IS disastrous.

Davie White was sacked while we were top of the League, after we got pumped in Europe (I don't advocate that kind of reaction again, btw...I'm just saying).

Fortunately Ally is up against bugger all so he doesn't really have to be that good to deliver the championship.

I would love to know what is in Whyte's mind ... does he regret giving McCoist the job and is he waiting for the first opportunity to sack him?

I don't think Whyte has a clue what to do.

Around the mid 80s i saw him at Johnstone RSC player of the year dance, sitting at the top table getting stuck into the gold watch, after the dinner he made a speech which ended with him leading into " The cry was No Surrender" the place was bouncing.

I was also there that night. It was bouncing alright.

I am sure it was a week before the "battle fever" league cup final against the "beggars".

Near the end of the night (before the singalong) my mate went up to Jock at the top table and said. Jock we got to win next week (we had been at most games through the Grieg era - hence we were a bit starved of the taste of victory). Big jock grabbed him round the neck in a bear hug /head lock fashion and said "don't you worry son!).

Not long after the cry went out from Jock, and the battle fever/singing started started (in johnstone anyway).

The game was a week later one of the best for me.

Never seen most of it for the cloud of dust that went up in the rangers end when we scored.

I was also there that night. It was bouncing alright.

I am sure it was a week before the "battle fever" league cup final against the "beggars".

Near the end of the night (before the singalong) my mate went up to Jock at the top table and said. Jock we got to win next week (we had been at most games through the Grieg era - hence we were a bit starved of the taste of victory). Big jock grabbed him round the neck in a bear hug /head lock fashion and said "don't you worry son!).

Not long after the cry went out from Jock, and the battle fever/singing started started (in johnstone anyway).

The game was a week later one of the best for me.

Never seen most of it for the cloud of dust that went up in the rangers end when we scored.

Welcome to the site OzzieBear in Perth originally from Johnstone...!

Long time no see mate, like 5 weeks..!

Didn't take Sherlock long to suss you out pal...!

:sherlock: