Atlantic League V The Rest (facts)

Without Portugal it's more like a North Sea League. :) Personally I think we should still play in our own countries: (reduced fixtures), and UEFA's competitions, as well as an 'Atlantic League'. Maybe something like the Scandinavian Royal Cup.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how the TV audience is put as every person in the country watching it :lol:

That leauge and set up has no appeal to me. We need to improve in our own back yard, not a leauge that in fairness will still have mickey mouse teams in it. I know Malmo beat us but had we been as match sharp as them and Ally had the team out we have had recently we would fuck them

TV audience is (potential) - the figures were merely being highlighted to show the size of the AL to the EPL (England has a population of exactly 50 million). Stadium sizes, quality and capacity also dwarf the EPL - those were the points I was trying to make.

The Parken or Craven Cottage?

Amsterdam Arena or Goodison Park?

De Kuip or Ewood Park?

Ibrox or The JJB Stadium?

And that's me not mentioning the worst of their middens down there. In these countries they also have 'standing' areas which a lot of clubs create by removing seating for specific games - there would be Summer Football and I'd bet you that 'IF' UEFA 'did' want to have representation from the AL - the clubs would be banging at the door of the super powers of European football for winning it.

There are so many positives and so little negatives to the idea. Attracting top players and the standard of football being the main ones! Not to mention the potential worldwide markets it would appeal to...

I still stand by my belief that if the current package is better and the overall quality improves in Scottish Football there is no need for an Atlantic League. And as others have said ...does that mean the CL then becomes the exclusive toy of the big 4 countries (Nearly there as it is)

And if the best talent does get poached by the EPL clubs then it will be no different to the 70's and 80's but funnily enough our football was of a much better standard and we still had quality players in teams like the Old Firm and Dundee Utd and Aberdeen.

Then you have the expense of attending these away matches and i cannot be alone when i say that it is a struggle to even attend one away game in Europe a season never mind 10 or 12.

Nope in my opinion it will never happen just like we will never get in to the EPL.

Without Portugal it's more like a North Sea League. :) Personally I think we should still play in our own countries: (reduced fixtures), and UEFA's competitions, as well as an 'Atlantic League'. Maybe something like the Scandinavian Royal Cup.

The European competitions are so corrupt in their format that I don't want to participate in them. Champions League!!! We've now had same country finals from 3 countries:

Real v Valencia 2000

AC Milan v Juventus 2003

Man U v Chelsea 2008

And don't bet against another this year - it's a fucking joke - oh and who competed the Europa League final in Paddy Land this year? A couple of teams from Portugal...

On a positive note I like the idea of The Royal Cup!!! Up until 1904 Norway and Sweden were The United Kingdom of Norway and Sweden, and with The Dutch, ourselves and teams like Royal Antwerp and Royal Standard Liege, there would be a fairly uncomfortable theme running through it for a certain team!...

Man U sell their stadia because season ticket holders MUST purchase all CL home games... no exceptions. The CL is dying and will be revamped soon.

Yes and that's Platini's fault for making an already rocking ship let in more water - and pish water at that... These bastards are allowing stolen oil and gas money to dictate who's successful in Europe - time to leave!...

Bati, Anzhi, Shaktar et al - who the fuck are these people? - We had to play that Anzhi mob near Auschwitz their place is that much of a war-torn midden!!!...

You mention attendances etc. The german league is the best supported in europe but, i guarantee worldwide, the epl is far superior for viewing figures on telly. Who's to say we dont end up (as someone mentioned) in the europa league of europe with 50000 watching for a few years then bored?

Still not sure about joining the epl but i would prefer it to this league anyday

I'm just happy that different league formats are being talked about and explored. Things have to change and the possibility of Rangers v Ajax/Copenhagen/PSV/Anderlecht every other week as opposed to St Johnstone/St Mirren/Dunfermline etc would be exciting for us fans and in turn the tv companies, meaning more money for us. I agree with some of the concerns on here about travel but I'm just wondering how things like this work in America. Do fans travel to away games in MLS/NBA/NHL/NFL ?. Obviously the reason I ask is the travelling distances involved I imagine would be longer than the proposed Atlantic League, so does anyone know do fans travel to away games in America and if they do are there schemes to help out travelling fans ?

They dont travel in numbers to most of the american sports. Been to baseball match, mates have been to american football matches. Next to no away fans. May be different if they are right beside each other but even on tv, u never really see away fans (apart from football? (Real football)

They dont travel in numbers to most of the american sports. Been to baseball match, mates have been to american football matches. Next to no away fans. May be different if they are right beside each other but even on tv, u never really see away fans (apart from football? (Real football)

Cheers man, I wasn't too sure if they travelled in large numbers or not. I think travel for away fans is the main problem with the Atlantic League idea.

AL1 1st place to 4th gets champions league places.

3 botttom of AL1 go to AL2...

3 top of AL2 promoted to AL1....

3 bottom of AL2 goes back their respective leagues...

3 champions of the respective league go to AL2

Relegation parachute payments to ease financial blow

This is the way forward

AL1 1st place to 4th gets champions league places.

3 botttom of AL1 go to AL2...

3 top of AL2 promoted to AL1....

3 bottom of AL2 goes back their respective leagues...

3 champions of the respective league go to AL2

Relegation parachute payments to ease financial blow

This is the way forward

Well said Rod! Some people are saying it would be a sore head! I don't think so... your format makes that clear.

I'm just happy that different league formats are being talked about and explored. Things have to change and the possibility of Rangers v Ajax/Copenhagen/PSV/Anderlecht every other week as opposed to St Johnstone/St Mirren/Dunfermline etc would be exciting for us fans and in turn the tv companies, meaning more money for us. I agree with some of the concerns on here about travel but I'm just wondering how things like this work in America. Do fans travel to away games in MLS/NBA/NHL/NFL ?. Obviously the reason I ask is the travelling distances involved I imagine would be longer than the proposed Atlantic League, so does anyone know do fans travel to away games in America and if they do are there schemes to help out travelling fans ?

Yes, fans travel to away games in America. Some teams have fan groups that organize trips to away games. Busloads of Maple Leafs fans travel to Montreal (5 hours) for games but doubt there are 3-5000 fans travelling to away games.