What Is Most Likely

TheLawMan

112 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more likely to be drawn out

• 11 Red balls and 0 White balls
    • 10 White balls and 1 Red ball

the probability of having 11 red balls and 0 whites is around 17% which i imagine is greater than having 10 red balls and 1 white (my head started hurting too much to work it out). it also implies that the probability of having at least one white ball making up your 11 is 83% (100-17). which may or may not screw this thread up.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the probability of having 11 red balls and 0 whites is around 17% which i imagine is greater than having 10 red balls and 1 white (my head started hurting too much to work it out). it also implies that the probability of having at least one white ball making up your 11 is 83% (100-17). which may or may not screw this thread up.

Just to be clear. You are aware that option 2 is 10 WHITE and not 10 RED ? (tu)

See the people who have voted for the second option - you did notice it said 10 white balls and one red ball, did you? :unsure:

So it's more likely, in a bag with 86 red and 14 white balls to draw 10 of the 14 white balls and only one red ball than it is to draw 11 red balls...?

Lets us know lol

Not yet my friend.

Need to get a bigger amount of votes on the go.

It seems that one option is looking the most favoured so far so it would be interesting if anyone could explain why they plumped for Option 2 please which may give others reason to moving forward. (tu)

I know on the face of it, this might not appear to be Rangers related but it is and its something im just keen to get a view on. Admin, if you are unsure of why this is in the Bears Den, please PM me rather than move it for now.

Scenario

There are 100 balls in a bag. 86 of them are Red. 14 of them are White.

You have to draw out 11 balls at random and you are blindfolded.

Which of the 2 combinations above is the most likely to happen ?

Are the 86 red balls 'red hot' whilst the 14 white balls 'chilled to the bone'? :D

(It's an old SFA trick) ;D