Jordan McMillans contract situation

I don't think Hutton will even be here in 2 years. Ness would be if he could stay fit, not confident that'll happen mind. Think all our young players can do us a job but not convinced they are gonna become anything other than decent SPL players, other than Ness

I think that say's more about our management team than anything else then, as I believe that Hutton, Fleck and co possess a good first touch, ability for passing and moving while also demonstrating an ability to play at a high tempo - if they cannot make it as anything other as decent SPL players in your opinion then what does that say about the likes of Edu, McCulloch and to a lesser extent Davis?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Hutton will even be here in 2 years. Ness would be if he could stay fit, not confident that'll happen mind. Think all our young players can do us a job but not convinced they are gonna become anything other than decent SPL players, other than Ness

Unless McCoist changes his ways, then I agree, Hutton will probably be gone. I think he is good enough to be playing now though. even if the young players do all work out to be simply decent SPL players, it saves us spending money on foreign dross who dont have the same understanding of the club. i just dont see why we are not putting all our focus on youth now, since we a) dont have the same revenues as the other teams in Europe and b) the tax case

I think that say's more about our management team than anything else then, as I believe that Hutton, Fleck and co possess a good first touch, ability for passing and moving while also demonstrating an ability to play at a high tempo - if they cannot make it as anything other as decent SPL players in your opinion then what does that say about the likes of Edu, McCulloch and to a lesser extent Davis?

Far too early to tell but I just dont think they look like outstanding talents, Ness apart. I don't think that says significant things about our management team, more about their own talent and the way Scottish kids are coached in general. Fact is, if we bring through someone who's a decent SPL player, that's not exactly a terrible thing, we do play in the SPL after all. Just feel that the previous post saying we should try to emulate the Man Utd team of the 90s is rather OTT. They were an exceptional bunch of kids at one of the world biggest clubs. We have a decent pool of young players, and that's fine.

As for the names you mention, Jig is over the hill but was a decent enough player a few years ago, probably had his better days before he was with us, Edu is a decent SPL player and Davis is a very good player who could comfortably play in a better quality league

Unless McCoist changes his ways, then I agree, Hutton will probably be gone. I think he is good enough to be playing now though. even if the young players do all work out to be simply decent SPL players, it saves us spending money on foreign dross who dont have the same understanding of the club. i just dont see why we are not putting all our focus on youth now, since we a) dont have the same revenues as the other teams in Europe and b) the tax case

I think Hutton would do ok, he'd probably be of McCulloch's level I reckon, certainly worth a look in. We could rely on him playing along side Davis in the SPL i'd imagine. Problem is simply that while they may turn out to be decent SPL players, they probably wouldn't form a decent enough team to beat Celtic's, and thats pretty much all we're playing for up here. I'd be happy to see us mix in the youth but I feel we are doing that. Gregg Wylde and Jamie Ness are both important members of the Rangers when fit and guys like Aluko and Wallace are still pretty young too, even if they didn't come from our youth set up.

Far too early to tell but I just dont think they look like outstanding talents, Ness apart. I don't think that says significant things about our management team, more about their own talent and the way Scottish kids are coached in general. Fact is, if we bring through someone who's a decent SPL player, that's not exactly a terrible thing, we do play in the SPL after all. Just feel that the previous post saying we should try to emulate the Man Utd team of the 90s is rather OTT. They were an exceptional bunch of kids at one of the world biggest clubs. We have a decent pool of young players, and that's fine.

As for the names you mention, Jig is over the hill but was a decent enough player a few years ago, probably had his better days before he was with us, Edu is a decent SPL player and Davis is a very good player who could comfortably play in a better quality league

I'm not advocating them as outstanding talents - far from it, however I'd argue that their qualities from a coaching point of view are beyond what we have seen from the more experienced members of our 1st team squad, hence my comment supporting your assertion that they may only be SPL standard but still being better than what we have at the moment! I'd rather have a mix of Davis - Hutton - Edu or Hutton - Fleck - Davis than Davis - Edu - McCulloch as a tight midfield 3 if we are going to deploy the team that way anyday of the week!

My ideal midfield with the current players signed would be (in a 4-2-3-1) Ness, Hutton - Aluko, Fleck, Wallace - Jelavic. Yeah thats harsh on Davis but it'd be up to him to compete for a place the same as I'd be expecting of anyone else!

I'm not advocating them as outstanding talents - far from it, however I'd argue that their qualities from a coaching point of view are beyond what we have seen from the more experienced members of our 1st team squad, hence my comment supporting your assertion that they may only be SPL standard but still being better than what we have at the moment! I'd rather have a mix of Davis - Hutton - Edu or Hutton - Fleck - Davis than Davis - Edu - McCulloch as a tight midfield 3 if we are going to deploy the team that way anyday of the week!

My ideal midfield with the current players signed would be (in a 4-2-3-1) Ness, Hutton - Aluko, Fleck, Wallace - Jelavic. Yeah thats harsh on Davis but it'd be up to him to compete for a place the same as I'd be expecting of anyone else!

I dunno about that, would really have to see these young lads on a regular basis. Edu has been very patchy at best but I think he offers us a decent amount in midfield while Davis is still excellent despite clearly having a dip in form recently. For me, these young lads take on a lot more credit because people percieve the players ahead of them as poor. Take McMillan, he's played virtually no football yet so many hail him as a great right back. Guarenteed that if he were a left back and behind the godly Sasa Papac, nobody would think he was that great. I'm not saying Hutton is a poor footballer, just saying, he's percieved as better cos Jig isn't upto much.

Have to say, Davis would still be in my midfield, without question. When the team plays well Davis plays well and vice versa. Think we'd be royally fucked with two water carriers in the centre of the pitch. Hutton is an able deputy but i've seen nothing so far to show me he'd be a starting midifielder. Ness would definitely start for me but I don't see him ever properly recovering, seems to just constantly be injured unfortunately.

For me, a future midfield would consist of Edu, Davis - Aluko, Naisy and one other

Agree with all of this bar the Davis bit, he would get found out in a better league, IMO.

Possibly, I don't know, I think, like I was stating about our young players, he could be a decent Premiership player. Would probably thrive amongst better players. Think his problem with us at the moment is that, as captain, he's expected to lead us, dig in and fight. It's really not his game. Far better when the onus isn't on him

I dunno about that, would really have to see these young lads on a regular basis. Edu has been very patchy at best but I think he offers us a decent amount in midfield while Davis is still excellent despite clearly having a dip in form recently. For me, these young lads take on a lot more credit because people percieve the players ahead of them as poor. Take McMillan, he's played virtually no football yet so many hail him as a great right back. Guarenteed that if he were a left back and behind the godly Sasa Papac, nobody would think he was that great. I'm not saying Hutton is a poor footballer, just saying, he's percieved as better cos Jig isn't upto much.

Have to say, Davis would still be in my midfield, without question. When the team plays well Davis plays well and vice versa. Think we'd be royally fucked with two water carriers in the centre of the pitch. Hutton is an able deputy but i've seen nothing so far to show me he'd be a starting midifielder. Ness would definitely start for me but I don't see him ever properly recovering, seems to just constantly be injured unfortunately.

For me, a future midfield would consist of Edu, Davis - Aluko, Naisy and one other

Even on fleeting appearances most footballing people can see values in players, for example I haven't seen more than a dozen games by Hutton but I can see he can take a pass into feet under pressure, keep it under control and play a pass onto a teammate - can the same be said of the other more experienced players? That to me says that he is a footballer while those who struggle with those basics are not - If you judge a player on being able to do things like that then imo age doesn't come into it and that's why I as well as others on here see some of the younger players and ask why they cannot be played ahead of some experienced guys who struggle with those basics.

Even on fleeting appearances most footballing people can see values in players, for example I haven't seen more than a dozen games by Hutton but I can see he can take a pass into feet under pressure, keep it under control and play a pass onto a teammate - can the same be said of the other more experienced players? That to me says that he is a footballer while those who struggle with those basics are not - If you judge a player on being able to do things like that then imo age doesn't come into it and that's why I as well as others on here see some of the younger players and ask why they cannot be played ahead of some experienced guys who struggle with those basics.

I'm sorry maybe i'm not a 'footballing person' then. I saw a decent kid who could take the ball in and play simple passes. That's fine. I just haven't seen any other evidence that he's better than what we have. Jig, i'll give you, i'm sick of him. But Davis has numerous assists this season, and he hasn't even been near his best. Edu has provided a lot of hard work for us which often goes unnoticed, again, he can be better. I think you are too harsh on the players we have. It's been a poor season of performances by our standards, but these players are all still more than capable of passing the ball about well, amongst other things. Edu and Davis are still very good football players who have played major major roles in us winning three title on the spin. You only have to look at the Motherwell game the other day to remind yourself what good footballers they are. I'm not saying Hutton isn't capable of being in and about the squad or replacing these players in the future, all i'm saying is that i've yet to see anything to convince me that he HAS to be playing in our first team