Next statue outside Ibrox..

ScottBogle

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see a monument put in place to celebrate all 54 major league titles won (Or 55) with some of the key players that had a major influence in achieving this for Rangers along the way. A great mark of respect that would be.

I would like to see a monument put in place to celebrate all 54 major league titles won (Or 55) with some of the key players that had a major influence in achieving this for Rangers along the way. A great mark of respect that would be.

That is a cracking suggestion :praise:

Good idea. The do this in a lot of American Sport stadiums. For example at the new Yankees stadium they have a Hall Of Fame tribute garden outside. It's amazing and really gives you a sense of the history of the team

We have a statue of the Greatest Ranger of the last 50 years, so why not one of the Greatest Ranger of the first 50?

John Kitey McPherson.

I'll ask the obvious, here, Colonel.....Why John McPherson, specifically? Was it it his splendid scoring record for us? or perhaps he was the forerunner of what we later called, the "Mr versatile" footballer who could play anywhere on the park,including Goalkeeper (which he did) ? Or was it perhapse his oustanding contribution as a director of our club for 19 years after he retired from playing?

Or is there another reason you selected this fine gentleman ahead of other notable contemporaries of his?. Interesting choice, no matter your reason. :sherlock:

I'll ask the obvious, here, Colonel.....Why John McPherson, specifically? Was it it his splendid scoring record for us? or perhaps he was the forerunner of what we later called, the "Mr versatile" footballer who could play anywhere on the park,including Goalkeeper (which he did) ? Or was it perhapse his oustanding contribution as a director of our club for 19 years after he retired from playing?

Or is there another reason you selected this fine gentleman ahead of other notable contemporaries of his?. Interesting choice, no matter your reason. :sherlock:

Kitey was officially honoured as the Greatest Ranger of the first 50 years in 1923 I believe (the erroneous 50th anniversary of the club), so I wasn't putting him up as the greatest of the era off my own back.

However, as you've pointed out in your post, his achievements are massive for Rangers, and you can see why he got the distinction at the time.

I might add to your list of Kitey's achievements that his goals helped us win our first ever Scottish Cup, he played in our first League title win (scoring the first ever Scottish League hat trick), helped us set a world record by winning all League games in a season, and was part of a 4IAR streak...which many a great Rangers team has not been able to accomplish.

Kitey was officially honoured as the Greatest Ranger of the first 50 years in 1923 I believe (the erroneous 50th anniversary of the club), so I wasn't putting him up as the greatest of the era off my own back.

However, as you've pointed out in your post, his achievements are massive for Rangers, and you can see why he got the distinction at the time.

I might add to your list of Kitey's achievements that his goals helped us win our first ever Scottish Cup, he played in our first League title win (scoring the first ever Scottish League hat trick), helped us set a world record by winning all League games in a season, and was part of a 4IAR streak...which many a great Rangers team has not been able to accomplish.

You're quite right in what you say, CM, but the reason I asked the question, was because I thought you may have had a personal preference of a certain aspect of his varied and illustrious career with Rangers that may have stood out for you more than another.

For me, of all his contributions to Rangers, the one that stands out was the fact that he apparently could, and did play with great versatility and talent in positiona all over the park, including Goalkeeper...Sort of like a combined Andy Goram / Ally McCoist type player of his era.

I certainly wasn't decrying your comment, more the point I was quite surprised to see that name crop up in answer to the OP.

You're quite right in what you say, CM, but the reason I asked the question, was because I thought you may have had a personal preference of a certain aspect of his varied and illustrious career with Rangers that may have stood out for you more than another.

For me, of all his contributions to Rangers, the one that stands out was the fact that he apparently could, and did play with great versatility and talent in positiona all over the park, including Goalkeeper...Sort of like a combined Andy Goram / Ally McCoist type player of his era.

I certainly wasn't decrying your comment, more the point I was quite surprised to see that name crop up in answer to the OP.

I didn't think for a second you were decrying anything Ozblue. I knew where you were coming from, and for me it was just a combination of everything he contributed both on and off the park...and the significance of a lot of the trophies/achievements he helped gain. All of this, plus those who were there at the time thought he was the greatest.

On the point of his versatility, the very last league game of his career was the one game in which he had to stand in as goalkeeper.

It was the 2nd last game of the season, a must win, and effectively won us the league. We beat St Mirren 3-2 to go into the last game of the season 2 points ahead.