Super Ally

minstral

A goal machine who bleeds blue!

We will never have another McCoist in our ranks and I'm just glad I was around to watch him in his pomp!

Even the tarriers couldn't dislike him and that just goes to show what a genuine good guy he was.

Legend...

I think there was a dispute about the Golden Boot awards though... Not sure if he actually physically received an actual award both seasons. I can't remember the exact details...

And for some reason I am also thinking Hristo Stoichkov was involved somehow.

Anyone expand on this and clear up the details?

Legend...

I think there was a dispute about the Golden Boot awards though... Not sure if he actually physically received an actual award both seasons. I can't remember the exact details...

And for some reason I am also thinking Hristo Stoichkov was involved somehow.

Anyone expand on this and clear up the details?

I don't think there was a dispute over Ally's awards per se, it's just that he won them during a period of a few years when L'Equipe, the French magazine that usually awarded the trophy, was criticised for awarding it to the top scorer from European top divisions without making provisions for differences in the strength of the leagues. I think another sponsor took up the role of awarding it during that period until L'Equipe came up with the current points system.

I think during both years when Ally won it, at least one other player from some piddly little country had scored more goals than him but wasn't considered for inclusion.

The amount of goals he scored, when you think that he won the Golden Boot Award, and became the first player in history to retain it the next season.

I still maintain that UEFA changed the Golden Boot rules because of Super. This silly point system where a tap in in La Liga is worth more points that a 30 yard rocket into the top corner in the SPL.

I understand why they want to do it.. but a goal is a goal.

EDIT: WIKI Link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Golden_Shoe

I don't think there was a dispute over Ally's awards per se, it's just that he won them during a period of a few years when L'Equipe, the French magazine that usually awarded the trophy, was criticised for awarding it to the top scorer from European top divisions without making provisions for differences in the strength of the leagues. I think another sponsor took up the role of awarding it during that period until L'Equipe came up with the current points system.

I think during both years when Ally won it, at least one other player from some piddly little country had scored more goals than him but wasn't considered for inclusion.

Someone from Welsh league? Might have been after Ally's wins.

Amazing striker - but why why why are our team so scared to shoot with him as manager.

Davis has a cracking right foot but wont shoot form outside the box and healy couldn't hit a coos erse with a banjo!

I still maintain that UEFA changed the Golden Boot rules because of Super. This silly point system where a tap in in La Liga is worth more points that a 30 yard rocket into the top corner in the SPL.

I understand why they want to do it.. but a goal is a goal.

EDIT: WIKI Link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Golden_Shoe

Nothing to maintain here pal you are spot on. It was going the way were playing in leagues like Scotland made it a lot easier to score than the top leagues. The point system was their way to try and ensure big name players got the award.