Why is Davie Cooper revered more than greater Rangers?

Colonel Mustard

Nobody alive has any emotional attachment to Vallance or McPherson, and few will have seen Morton and Meiklejohn.

As for Johnston and Henderson, they didn't play for us when were shite and they weren't one of precious few things worth coming to see at Ibrox.

It's not hard to see the answers to your question to be honest.

After the 1966 Cup victory, Henderson won 1 LC winner's badge before he left Rangers in 1972.

After the 1966 Cup Victory, Bud also won 1 LC winner's medal in the next 5 years.

During this period, there were times when we were shite.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets look at it from another angle..... who would we name the training ground after?

Do we really need to name it after a player ar all?

Or should we just name it after Rangers in some way... Rangers Park or just the name of the area, Auchinhowie?

Last option I can think of........ could we gain income by getting a sponsor ...... ???????? Park etc? God knows we could do with the money!

He was, and still is, im my eyes, the best player ive seen play for us. He was my idol when growing up and every top i have ever bought has had the number 11 on it, in respect/tribute to the great man, irrespective of who is playing in the team at the time.

I did the same for a while because of albetz , there's something about that number!

Lets look at it from another angle..... who would we name the training ground after?

Or should we just name it after Rangers in some way... Rangers Park or just the name of the area, Auchinhowie?

Last option I can think of........ could we gain income by getting a sponsor ...... ???????? Park etc? God knows we could do with the money!

This isn't about sponsors. It's about why DC's name comes up before others when it comes to discussing naming things.

Might be his tragic and untimely death?

Spot on.

Its the same when players retire early through injury. They inevitably attract more sympathy and are remembered more fondly as a result.

As my username infers, I loved David Cooper but whether he is an all time great is a very subjective issue.

This isn't about sponsors. It's about why DC's name comes up before others when it comes to discussing naming things.

I understand that - that is why I said lets look at it from another angle. I also asked who would be the preferred name, if not Cooper. As for me, I loved DC but he was very inconsistant although that tends to be a trait of most wingers....... no doubting his love of Rangers however. As for who else, I would struggle to pick any one player out, hence my point about not naming the place after one person.

The sponsorship thing was simply an additional point to consider.

CM, you are a grumpy shit eh?? :D

He had something special about him, not only as a player, but as a human being. He was only at Motherwell for a few seasons and they named a stand after him.

People say he wasn't as good as Best and I agree, but he was just as special to us as Best was to United, and he loved thumping the scum.

He was one of us who lived the dream, playing for the club he loved, taken from everyone to soon.

Good discussion. There are many worthy names in our history.

To me Cooper shone brightly at a time when we were struggling as a side- the early 80s was grim. He lit us up.

I guess our points of reference will differ because of age, but when I was a boy Davie Cooper was the epitome of a Rangers player. I was glad he had the chance to play in a better side when Souness rolled into town.

I saw him go through Hearts at Tynecastle many moons ago and it was breathtaking. Laudrup and Gazza might have done similar, but thats not the point. They might have been blessed with outrageous talent, but Davie Cooper was a bear touched by magic.

What about a sign over the gates simply saying......................

Your Children Are Safe Here.

After the 1966 Cup victory, Henderson won 1 LC winner's badge before he left Rangers in 1972.

After the 1966 Cup Victory, Bud also won 1 LC winner's medal in the next 5 years.

During this period, there were times when we were shite.

Well, this is before my time. It was my understanding that Celtic were outstanding, rather than we were shite.