Best ever goalkeeper

Who is the best goalkeeper ever. In you opinion. Give a reason why.

I think my generation (guys 35-45) have had a truly golden era of Keepers, older guys may argue keepers in their day where the best. For me the best ever was Peter Schmeical. The guy had everything. Wonderful keeper. Some other crackers from around the same time. Top 5 for me would be:

1. Peter Schmeical

2. Buffon

3. Walter Zenga

4. Casillas

5. Van Der Saar

Before my time, sadly.

Before my time aswell but it doesn't mean I can't look back objectivley going by reports from people who have seem him about how good he was and goalkeeping is one aspect of the game that hasn't changed over time infact it's got easier with the introduction of gloves and softer footballs. He is the only keeper to win European Player Of The Year, Voted by FIFA as the best goalkeeper in the last century, saved 150 penalties.

Before my time aswell but it doesn't mean I can't look back objectivley going by reports from people who have seem him about how good he was and goalkeeping is one aspect of the game that hasn't changed over time infact it's got easier with the introduction of gloves and softer footballs. He is the only keeper to win European Player Of The Year, Voted by FIFA as the best goalkeeper in the last century, saved 150 penalties.

Ah, okay, well although the original poster did say "ever" I read his post to mean the era that guys 35-45 would remember.

Ah, okay, well although the original poster did say "ever" I read his post to mean the era that guys 35-45 would remember.

What I said was "best ever, in your opnion" I also asked why. Im using keepers from my era because they are the keepers IMO who where the best. I can see why he would go for Yashin. On paper he is the best ever.

Im expecting the reply's regarding Michael Mols, but I thought Oliver Kahn was incredible.

(tu) Him and Ballack dragged a mediocre Germany to a World Cup final in 2002, he was player of the tournament for me.

Im expecting the reply's regarding Michael Mols, but I thought Oliver Kahn was incredible.

(tu) Him and Ballack dragged a mediocre Germany to a World Cup final in 2002, he was player of the tournament for me.

world keeper of the year 2001 and 2002 and deservedly so!