Office Staff Rumour

Mr Struth

Had a chat with an ex-council leader who dealt with council departmental outsourcing who had said there may be an advertisement in something similar to the European Journal for all our back office work to be outsourced.

Staff were today at a meeting discussing TUPE!

Had a chat with an ex-council leader who dealt with council departmental outsourcing who had said there may be an advertisement in something similar to the European Journal for all our back office work to be outsourced.

And for people who are not pen pushers. What the fuck does this mean?

I can't think of any other circumstance that would require TUPE.... oh hold on, hasn't someone mentioned something about a newco at some point?

I could be picking this up wrong, but why would you be advertising for an outsourcing service provider to take on your staff under a TUPE agreement if it was related to the 'Newco'. You wouldn't need to adverise as the TUPE would automatically apply to the 'Newco'.

The other alternative is that the club just wants the staff to come off their books, but keep their jobs, which is pretty common these days i.e. outsourcing. But I don't think you really save much short term as you are still paying the service provider for their services.

Why would it be outsourced if the office staff were TUPE'd to a newco?

I could be picking this up wrong, but why would you be advertising for an outsourcing service provider to take on your staff under a TUPE agreement if it was related to the 'Newco'. You wouldn't need to adverise as the TUPE would automatically apply to the 'Newco'.

The other alternative is that the club just wants the staff to come off their books, but keep their jobs, which is pretty common these days i.e. outsourcing. But I don't think you really save much short term as you are still paying the service provider for their services.

If you read the OP, I think he is making one comment about outsourcing, and then trying to back it up with the evidence, that the staff may have been discussing TUPE. The TUPE discussion is far more likely to be related to that.

Newco or outsourcing would both require the same TUPE legislation to apply.

You can save money on outsourcing if you move to lower cost areas or countries for staff, or if you hire a company who can provide better economies of scale with purchase agreements (that is why catering should work, I'm not saying it does)

Fucking hell, Admin, please rename this thread ' If you enter this thread, you won't understand one fucking word anyone is saying.'

Sounds like my kinda thread!

Seriously, if you don't know about TUPE, then you are a lucky person, it is no fun to go through.

would it not cost more, nursing agencies charge more per hour than a regular nurse is paid because the agency wants to make its own money also

They do, but then you have to take into account the cost of employment, pensions, training, sick pay, etc, in these sorts of deals. They can work, I'm not saying they always do.

Whit... the tea lady's going to be outsourced??

I'm going through it just now with my work, all terms conditions stay the same, only difference is in pensions, so nothing to really worry about for the staff. Just someone else paying their wages".........

Re the above, well it could be that they are ready to name a preferred bidder. They did say a number of weeks ago that when they named the preferred bidder that they would look to them to come in and run the club, financially that is.

would it not cost more, nursing agencies charge more per hour than a regular nurse is paid because the agency wants to make its own money also

Its much cheaper to use an agency. No sick/holiday pay, no pension or health insurance to pay.

The bad thing would be that TUPE only protects workers for a set period. The staff will recieve the same pay and conditions for say 6 months, then the other company can impose any wage cuts, contract changes it wants.