Hampden riot cup final

Rangers memories book update

I'm needing a wee story or two from the Hampden riot cup final Vs Celtic, preferably from someone who got some grass on their shoes if you get my drift!

Its too big an event not to cover.

PM here, or e-mail on rangers_memories@hotmail.co.uk

All proceeds of book going to the Scottish War Blind

www.its-off-to-the-match.co.uk

I was at this match and like most was gutted when Celtic scired. What happened at the end of time was terrifying for a 14 year old and my prevailing memory was of my father bundeling me out of the ground as fast as he could.

Luckily we got away without being involved in any violence and it wasn't until we got back home we realised how much it had kicked off.

Nowhere near as much as my maw did when we got home though :lol:

I was there as a young boy.

The game and result broke my heart more than any other in my lifetime.If i had the chance to change one result after going back in time it would be this match.

Davie Cooper was superb.Infact he did everything but score.Honestly if you ever get chance to watch this match ,Coop was unbelievable .Unfortunately we had Derek Johnstone and Gordon Smith on the park and both of them after a few good years playing for us were on the decline and missed very clear chances for us in 90minutes.The extra time was a non event other than Danny McGrains spawny shot that hit George McCluskeys leg and in past McCloy who incidently IMO was a very poor goalkeeper.

In later years i met George out working and i told him his goal broke my heart.He seemed a decent guy but appreciated how iconic the moment was for so many.

I was in the Rangers end and in the line of McGrains shot and it was one of moments when time stood still.It only happened in a second but seemed to last for ages as the wicked deflection sent useless McCloy the wrong way and every Bear in The Gers end knew we were going to be behind as the ball slowly bobbled into empty net ..Heartbreaking moment as the Celtic end went bonkers.

In those days in Old Firm match it was always special when you scored but if the rivals scored it was strange to see mass bedlam right in front of you with no sound.The sound came a split second later as the roar finally reached our end and on this occasion it was deafening.It just added to my pain.

The reason this game was so important??,Both sides were so poor throughout that season and whoever lost the game would not qualify for Europe for following season.

Infact Celtic had lost 5-1 to Dundee few weeks before and were playing with such a depleted squad we thought it would be a shoe in for a win.

They had a player who played out of his skin at the position of centre half who was around 5ft 8 ,cant remember his name but he was main reason we couldnt get the win.Just remembered Mike Conroy.

Will never forget standing in the Rangers end just before the game started as we sang God save the Queen .It was deafening as the dust rised up off the Hampden slopes as it did in those days.

It was a moment of pride i will never forget but unfortunately by the end of the match the riot had spoiled the match for most fans.

My bruv had taken me home early and the first i knew of the trouble is when i walked threw the door and My Mum said there had been trouble at the match.

It changed Football in Scotland forever sadly and the atmosphere at games was to go downhill gradually from that moment after...

Hope you liked my trip down memory lane :uk:

We were coming home from a holiday in Ayrshire that day, and getting on the northbound train from Queen Street in the morning, I was nearly in tears seeeing all the fans milling around, while we heading the other way. Got home just in time for the 2nd half on the TV.

:( Was only 11 at the time but it still feels like last week.

It changed Football in Scotland forever sadly and the atmosphere at games was to gradually go downhill gradually from that moment after...

Gave your rep one for that M8. Excellent recall and well narrated. Thanks.

I was not on the pitch after the game no matter what any chunt tells you :crabflute::crabflute:

One of my mates decided he wanted to join in the shenanigans on the pitch after the game, so he ran down to the front of the Rangers End and climbed the fence ready to join in battle with the mhanky hordes.

Unfotunately for him, as he sat astride to top of the fence ready to jump onto the track, a full Pomagne bottle was launched from the back of Section J and caught him flush on the napper, sending him flying off the fence and back on to the terracing :D

He said afterwards he was luckily too pished to feel anything.

The game and result broke my heart more than any other in my lifetime.If i had the chance to change one result after going back in time it would be this match.

Davie Cooper was superb.Infact he did everything but score.Honestly if you ever get chance to watch this match ,Coop was unbelievable .Unfortunately we had Derek Johnstone and Gordon Smith on the park and both of them after a few good years playing for us were on the decline and missed very clear chances for us in 90minutes.The extra time was a non event other than Danny McGrains spawny shot that hit George McCluskeys leg and in past McCloy who incidently IMO was a very poor goalkeeper.

In later years i met George out working and i told him his goal broke my heart.He seemed a decent guy but appreciated how iconic the moment was for so many.

I was in the Rangers end and in the line of McGrains shot and it was one of moments when time stood still.It only happened in a second but seemed to last for ages as the wicked deflection sent useless McCloy the wrong way and every Bear in The Gers end knew we were going to be behind as the ball slowly bobbled into empty net ..Heartbreaking moment as the Celtic end went bonkers.

In those days in Old Firm match it was always special when you scored but if the rivals scored it was strange to see mass bedlam right in front of you with no sound.The sound came a split second later as the roar finally reached our end and on this occasion it was deafening.It just added to my pain.

The reason this game was so important??,Both sides were so poor throughout that season and whoever lost the game would not qualify for Europe for following season.

Infact Celtic had lost 5-1 to Dundee few weeks before and were playing with such a depleted squad we thought it would be a shoe in for a win.

They had a player who played out of his skin at the position of centre half who was around 5ft 8 ,cant remember his name but he was main reason we couldnt get the win.Just remembered Mike Conroy.

Will never forget standing in the Rangers end just before the game started as we sang God save the Queen .It was deafening as the dust rised up off the Hampden slopes as it did in those days.

It was a moment of pride i will never forget but unfortunately by the end of the match the riot had spoiled the match for most fans.

My bruv had taken me home early and the first i knew of the trouble is when i walked threw the door and My Mum said there had been trouble at the match.

It changed Football in Scotland forever sadly and the atmosphere at games was to gradually go downhill gradually from that moment after...

Thanks for the reps chaps.Even after this i still have had more negative reps than positive in this day.Only in Rangers media do you have rivals coming on here bad repping you and they dont seem to be getting banned , then sheep following on doing the same .Totally astounds me..

I was there, I was in my late teens I never ventured on to the park not brave enough, not to mix it with the enemy but too scared to face the wrath of my old man for fighting :) It was not until recently I felt sorry for my poor mother watching that live on tv and knowing I was there, what a day :(

Living in england i had with no mod cons in those days radio scotland

I had to lift my radio aerial upwards in the air to achieve a signal !

and nowadays people complain about sky sports tv coverage :lol:

I listened to the game which on cup final day the fa cup final was live on tv at the same time

being a blue nose only one game mattered and it was on a radio that lost its signal.

I was hoping that it would kick off after the game dont know why just that

it was meant to be and it may sound daft but at the time our fans lashed out

and it was meant to be as that time football fans did all over Britain

i was not happy that they won the cup but we still at least -

or fans took the shite on and spoiled their moment.

Everytime I see that video, I think back to the police woman with the big massive batton, it looks like a 70s dildo from Ann summers

I remember there was a big feature about her in the Sunday Mail :pipe:.

I wasn't at the game didn't see the Old Firm until 85 (3-0 victory at Ibrox in the season from hell :crabflute:)

One of my mates decided he wanted to join in the shenanigans on the pitch after the game, so he ran down to the front of the Rangers End and climbed the fence ready to join in battle with the mhanky hordes.

Unfotunately for him, as he sat astride to top of the fence ready to jump onto the track, a full Pomagne bottle was launched from the back of Section J and caught him flush on the napper, sending him flying off the fence and back on to the terracing :D

He said afterwards he was luckily too pished to feel anything.

Football really was mental then the young ones now just don't realise how sanitised it has become.

Ger50champ's great post reminded me of how much dust there was at Hampden during the better weather :lol:

I was there... as were two of my mates.... celtic fans invaded... Gers fans were having none of it... we battered a few on our way to the centre circle... that woman (woman lol, she had a pair) attacked right in front of us... hitting one or two... my mate and I still frequented into the taig lines which deminished seemingly quickly enough ?

We had vanquished the taig hoards...The tims had NO RIGHT TO INVADE in the first instance... we chased em ALL OVER Hampden ! ... :crabflute: ... :uk: .

My next door neighbour got arrested at the match, he was 63 and was on the park having a go at the filth, his missus was mortified, she worked voluntary for the church - Auld Mr Hewitt was grounded after that.

I remember there was a big feature about her in the Sunday Mail :pipe:.

I wasn't at the game didn't see the Old Firm until 85 (3-0 victory at Ibrox in the season from hell :crabflute:)

kinda the same, but my first televised game (for me) was when woods got set off and roberts was leading the choir, seeing graham roberts doan the gloves and leading the choir while bears doing the bouncy was a sight to be hold.

i was there as well .i was in my late teens.i remember the gers had been the better team for most of the match.at the end the gers end was about half full as we sang our hearts out and waited to cheer the players for there efforts.meanwhile hundreds of timswere on the trackside at there side of the ground,as more piled on they started moving on to the park.the riot started when two tims were moving up the park towards the gers end.they had a ball and were moving near the rangers end goal with the intention of puting it in the net when two bears in the big enclosure opposte the main stand scaled the fence and ran on the park to attack these cunts,the tarriers on the park at the other end seen this and they charged up the park expecting tomaul the 2 bears.but by the time they got there the gers fans were clambering on to the park enmass and the tims made a hasty retreat.then it was running battles for about 15 mins before order was restored.with loads of casualties from both sides being treated on the park. p.s. i had grass on my boots

1341713849' post='1060200495']

kinda the same, but my first televised game (for me) was when woods got set off and roberts was leading the choir, seeing graham roberts doan the gloves and leading the choir while bears doing the bouncy was a sight to be hold.

Sorry mate I neg reppd you by mistake,( it was the iPad honest)

I read your post then saw you were neg repd and thought "who the fuck would negatively rep that" and saw my name doh.gif' alt='default_f_doh.gif' alt='doh'>.gif'>

i was there as well .i was in my late teens.i remember the gers had been the better team for most of the match.at the end the gers end was about half full as we sang our hearts out and waited to cheer the players for there efforts.meanwhile hundreds of timswere on the trackside at there side of the ground,as more piled on they started moving on to the park.the riot started when two tims were moving up the park towards the gers end.they had a ball and were moving near the rangers end goal with the intention of puting it in the net when two bears in the big enclosure opposte the main stand scaled the fence and ran on the park to attack these cunts,the tarriers on the park at the other end seen this and they charged up the park expecting tomaul the 2 bears.but by the time they got there the gers fans were clambering on to the park enmass and the tims made a hasty retreat.then it was running battles for about 15 mins before order was restored.with loads of casualties from both sides being treated on the park. p.s. i had grass on my boots

Would have been interesting to hear more stories of any bears that were on the park at this match and see how vividly they remember the goings on?