Some truths following our opening day in Division Three

papaguy51

I feel when we play teams we should be beating when the just start heavy defending players rarely

going into our half our boys seem to run out of ideas on what to do and just keep banging away at

the same tactic, we keep doing short passes or try stupid through balls that won't work then as

time starts ticking away we end up with long balls, we need to start mixing up our passing, when

we are attacking we need players going down the middle with 2 at either side supporting and waiting

for a possible pass to give us more options but we also need players who can play the balls out wide.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Ally the man, but as a manager I am really sceptical about his, and indeed our coaching staffs abilities... and have been for some time. I see the facilities we have, and calibre of player we have, and have to wonder why we really struggle with basics at times, let alone more complex play.

However, Ally is manager of Rangers football club, and after all the shit of the last 12mths, he deserves a bit of slack and time to get it right. Time will tell if he does or not.

Nail on head re coaching staff.

Gregg Wylde in The Liam yesterday said he hadn't spent enough time in the gym while at Ibrox.

At Bolton, there's more emphasis on upper body strength, technique, quick feet, high tempo & the ability to go box to box.

If these are the kind of things we're not doing in training, makes you wonder what we DO do?

• We will still absolutely piss this league.

• A draw wasn't a horrible result - it might actually help us in the long run.

• Ally McCoist is incredibly naive tactically and really has to start imposing our authority on inferior teams.

• We are in dire need of some real width.

What do we think?

I don't think we'll 'piss this league' although I do think we'll go on to win it - going to be ugly at some points though.

McCoist needs to pick a team, 4-4-2 preferably and stick with it. Additionally he needs to realise that we won't win SFL football playing as thought we are still in the SPL. But McCoist alone isn't solely at fault and the players need to shoulder some of the blame.

Goian needs to be sold at the first opportunity - he's a walking liability.

What have you seen on the pitch to suggest this?

While this question was not directed at me I'll try to provide a few comments in support of Ally:

1. Last season he managed to get a 15 point lead over Celtic before we wobbled - but a lot of that had to do with Whyte - behind the scene shit and so on

2. All the old firm games were creditable performances and the wins superb and the first one at Ibrox great tactics.

3. When we hit administration he managed to stabilise the team and provide victory after victory despite the most trying of circumstances (which shows both tactical and motivational skills)

4. He is trying to get the team playing a 3-5-2 - which is a modern outlook on the way the game is played.

5. He makes substitutions much earlier than Smith ever did (but not always) but when he does so it is usually with tactical changes to secure or chase a win - often succeeding.

6. (and yes circumstances may have dictated some of this) but last season he blooded a lot more youth players than we have ever seen before.

McCoist did NOT get the players he wanted last season - this season he has had no pre-season to help blend a team and in fact is having to make a team while trasitioning the squad in great depth. Ally has NEVER had the luxuary of a period of stability in order to prove his capabilities but he has more than demonstrated enough tactical and motivational abilities to be allowed some stable tiime to really prove his worth.

What seems very clear to me is that McCoist needs to drill into the players that they are no longer playing in the SPL, division 3 is a different style of play and we need to adjust to that.

I have no doubt that we will face another draw or 2 this season but i honestly believe that another 2 games should see the team settled and aware of the style of play they will be coming up against this season.

Now is the time for Ally to make his mark on the team, be his own man and move away from Walter Smiths tactics. Division 3 teams have nothing to lose going against us - lets be honest they will be hoping for a draw at best - so they will be going in hard against us, they won't shy away and neither should we. If we find ourselves 3 nil up in games after 20 minutes we must keep the pace going and look to double that score line.

We were caught cold on the first game of the season against a team fired up in front of the cameras.

Whilst a draw against that level of player is not acceptable, once we get a few more of these games under our belt we'll start to motor.