One thing I don't understand

Thermopylae

Why we (apparently) didn't include the EBTs in the individual players contracts that were submitted to the SFA but we did include the them in the accounts they got at the end of each season.

If true it was a staggering omission that has really left a lose end for liewell and his lackeys to exploit :anguish:

If they were included in the contract then they are not an EBT, they are wages and taxable. And the accounts and seasons are not related. The accounts are for the company's accounting year (which for convenience sake I would imagine relates to the football season. The accounts don't come immediately following the end of a season. It can be 9 months later before they are published.

If they were included in the contract then they are not an EBT, they are wages and taxable. And the accounts and seasons are not related. The accounts are for the company's accounting year (which for convenience sake I would imagine relates to the football season. The accounts don't come immediately following the end of a season. It can be 9 months later before they are published.

Well how can the sfa complain about them not being in the players contracts then?

Please!

Just stop giving oxygen to the dreams of idiots.

We won everything fair and square, end of story.

Its been discussed ad nauseum, and proven beyond any doubt already on here by various people.

Exacto ,this is the Key issue even if we had no EBT's Murray would still have went out and bought the Players we had.

It realy would not have made one jot of differance , and for any one to say otherwise is purely conjecture ,and hypothetical and clutching at Straws to make Rangers look bad.

It is quite simply one upmanship.

We all know Murray would have done it the way he was running the show.

He is a Gambler trust me.

Why we (apparently) didn't include the EBTs in the individual players contracts that were submitted to the SFA but we did include the them in the accounts they got at the end of each season.

If true it was a staggering omission that has really left a lose end for liewell and his lackeys to exploit :anguish:

Employee Benefit Trusts are non contractual.

They are discretionary payments.

HMRC have not got a leg to stand on unless a contractual 'side letter' stipulates that the player receives the same payment, regardless of performance.

But my thought on the matter are;

QJ

Eh? <cr>

If they were included in contracts they couldn't have been EBTs. Have you misunderstood the whole situation? :unsure:

Tax avoidance schemes are - autonomously - schemes used to avoid tax. If you earn money as part of your wages, you pay PAYE on that money. If it's a separate - and legitimately non-taxable- income - you don't pay 40% (or more nowadays) tax. Especially if it's a loan.

The fact they were included in the accounts shows two things:

We didn't know we were doing anything wrong;

The SFA are as culpable as we are, they accepted these accounts for a decade...

Eh? <cr>

If they were included in contracts they couldn't have been EBTs. Have you misunderstood the whole situation? :unsure:

Tax avoidance schemes are - autonomously - schemes used to avoid tax. If you earn money as part of your wages, you pay PAYE on that money. If it's a separate - and legitimately non-taxable- income - you don't pay 40% (or more nowadays) tax. Especially if it's a loan.

The fact they were included in the accounts shows two things:

We didn't know we were doing anything wrong;

The SFA are as culpable as we are, they accepted these accounts for a decade...

Exactly, so if any club had used EBTs (which were legal) they must have had "duel contracts" so what was the problem?

Basically I just can't believe that the sfa would go to so much trouble when they apparently don't have a leg to stand on

Ive said many times on here in the last 2 months, they have over-reached with use their use of the EBT issue, they have exposed themselves to the point that no amount of sweeping (not even Triggers broom) could hide it.

HMRC are trying to make an example, if we fall all of MIH falls.

We never defended the EBT issue, MIH did.

Your use of 'they', 'their', 'themselves' and 'sweeping' only means one thing.

QJ

HMRC are trying to make an example, if we fall all of MIH falls.

We never defended the EBT issue, MIH did.

Your use of 'they', 'their', 'themselves' and 'sweeping' only means one thing.

QJ

That I'm talking about the SPL and their lackeys and their use of the issue to batter us over the head with? That there was no wrong doing on our part and they know it, but yet choose to go on with it, exposing how corrupt and bigoted they are? Thus, no amount of sweeping it under the carpet is going to stop people seeing this for what it is, just what Charlie said: a witch hunt.

Discretionary not contractual.

Exactly so if any club had used EBT (which were legal) they must have had "duel contracts" so what was the problem?

Basically I just can't believe that the sfa would go to so much trouble when they apparently don't have a leg to stand on <cr>

Some facts:

EBTs are legal;

EBTs cannot be used as salary;

The SPL say we used EBTs as salary (but celtc used them as a cuddly incentive with nothing to see here and no case to answer);

If we (or any club) have players contracted under two contracts (salary + EBT) we're in trouble. Unless it's celtc (no case to answer).

I can't see how the SPL can say they accepted accounts each year with the EBTs clearly displayed in them but now realise they are illegal so we are to be punished. I await an explanation of that one.......

Been doing a bit of digging for them have we? Why mention something like that on a public forum?

The only real problem for me, as a Scot who has lived in England for nearly a decade, is that Scotland as a nation seems to have moved beyond all sense of logic and reason, therefore, I suspect that no matter what the facts are and the evidence says, the ruling will be the one that our enemies clearly want.

The only real problem for me, as a Scot who has lived in England for nearly a decade, is that Scotland as a nation seems to have moved beyond all sense of logic and reason, therefore, I suspect that no matter what the facts are and the evidence says, the ruling will be the one that our enemies clearly want.

I think there is probably something in that ... it seems to have come this far on very little substance so there is obviously something driving it along

The fact is, if the SFA/SPL knew about them and signed it off, allowed us to play then they really shouldnt be coming back now and trying to punish us. They can wait for the big tax case result but they are not interested in this from a tax point of view. They are interested in it from a player point of view and if we bought players we couldnt afford thus them being ineligible. Thats always been my take on it anyway. They will try and punish us regardless of what the HMRC outcome