Traynor asks the question.

bluechip

Having to fill the sports pages of the paper every day I suppose it makes sense for journalists to look for new ground to explore and so Traynor and the rest of them should be looking for other teams who have not followed the rules 100% (I'm sure there are plenty out there)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes me wonder if the SFA planned to speak to Charles Green before or after reading the article, possible that SFA damage limitation exercise has begun to avoid others within Scottish Football having the spotlight turned on them.

Having to fill the sports pages of the paper every day I suppose it makes sense for journalists to look for new ground to explore and so Traynor and the rest of them should be looking for other teams who have not followed the rules 100% (I'm sure there are plenty out there)

If they wish to fill columns mate, how about an indepth look into the association, and employment strategy of certain board members of the spl & sfa.

I think the Traynor is judging how to progress the story. We were the story (financial scandal, bhla bhla bhla) but a lot of it has calmed down. So to progress the story (to sell papers) he must widen it out. If the people who are trying to sit in judgement of Rangers have been doing the same things that they say Rangers were wrong to do, then bingo, the story writes it’s self. Drip feed it in the papers to keep the circulation high. A news paper story is of little use if it is a one hit wonder, so if you know something, keep it back, feed it out bit by bit, then it is a several hit wonder.

Just my thoughts.

Is this the story that he pieced his article from to ask the question?

http://www.harbottle.com/hnl/pages/article_view_hnl/6259.php they are lawyers for the media business.

"HMRC investigates legitimacy of Image Rights structures

Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs is currently investigating whether a number of professional football, rugby union and rugby league clubs and players owe the Revenue unpaid tax relating to image rights payments made by clubs to their players in addition to the remuneration which players receive under their playing contracts.

HMRC’s Civil Investigations Unit is considering whether more than 100 arrangements involving clubs paying their players in respect of their image rights – being the right to use, license and commercially exploit that player’s name, image and other personal attributes – are effectively depriving HMRC of income tax.

Historically, image rights payments have not been treated by the tax authorities as taxable because technically they do not constitute income and clubs do not have to pay national insurance or PAYE in relation to such payments as a result.

However it is believed that many professional clubs have attempted to exploit this tax regime by unfairly apportioning excessive payments in respect of image rights and reducing remuneration payments under playing contracts.

Such measures present an additional benefit to foreign national players playing in the UK, the majority of whom are non-domiciled and consequently are only taxed on foreign investment income and capital gains on a remittance basis although image rights tax regimes in France, Spain and Italy are better established and more developed. Last year HMRC abandoned plans to demand withholding tax from any foreign players appearing for English clubs who win prize money from appearing in European elite competitions such as the 2011 UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League.

It is understood that nearly half of all Premier League clubs are in the process of being investigated. The Premier League is attempting to broker a deal with HMRC on Premier League clubs’ collective behalf. In rugby union, a collective settlement has already been agreed between HMRC and Premier Rugby, the company which represents the collective of clubs participating in the Guinness Premiership.

In February, a representative of the Premier League stated that: "Discussions are ongoing with HMRC to try to reach a mutually acceptable position. Both sides agree that it is acceptable for the assignment of a proportion of income to image rights, however the question is how best to decide what is a reasonable level across a multitude of varying contracts and levels of player."

Nine years ago, HMRC lost a landmark case against the then Arsenal players Dennis Bergkamp and David Platt in relation to claims made by the tax authorities that image rights payments made to offshore companies controlled by the players constituted a form of tax avoidance. Platt and Bergkamp were able to take advantage of the offshore structuring because they were non-domiciled, having previously spent a substantial amount of time playing in Italy.

Since that decision, it has been common practice for many players’ representatives to establish offshore image rights companies to which the players assign or grant an exclusive licence of their image rights. In this way players benefit from the lower corporation tax paid by their companies.

Some stakeholders consider that HMRC is unfairly targeting the sports market to recoup additional taxes, and therefore placating the public at large by taking from those who can more easily afford to pay."

I'd vouch for NamibianBear - I probably stay the closest, I spend most of my life in SA, & we've been communicating for some time. So NB is certainly no a tim.

The 80 others that were prying in, and also the blight sympathiser, saddamghandi, they can gtf.

And who can vouch for you? :sherlock::P

But back on topic. The Bullnecked Trayknob has been Murray's pet poodle for almost two decades. He wrote not one disparaging article on Murray during his Rangers' tenure. Murray has resurfaced and Bullneck is asking questions of everyone except his puppet master.

If it smells like a haddock, swims like a cod and looks like a herring....it's probably fishy. :wanker:

PS. Bullneck (the Dunure Coast's notorious mad-shagger) worked for the rag that did more damage to Rangers FC's reputation than any other tome in Scotland.

Why anyone would believe anything an ex-employee of that rag says is, frankly, disturbing.

But back on topic. The Bullnecked Trayknob has been Murray's pet poodle for almost two decades. He wrote not one disparaging article on Murray during his Rangers' tenure. Murray has resurfaced and Bullneck is asking questions of everyone except his puppet master.

If it smells like a haddock, swims like a cod and looks like a herring....it's probably fishy. :wanker:

PS. Bullneck (the Dunure Coast's notorious mad-shagger) worked for the rag that did more damage to Rangers FC's reputation than any other tome in Scotland.

Why anyone would believe anything an ex-employee of that rag says is, frankly, disturbing.

Yes I would probably say I am disturbed. However, any hack that prints something even minutely positive about Rangers after all we've been through is definitely a bonus. Even if it is from a big, fat, two faced t****r like Traynor.

Im not saying I believe much I would see in a rhag, but it just makes a change to see something a bit positive about Rangers.

What I do find frankly disturbing is your fixation about who hes shagging, you never mention Traynor without going on about him shagging. I think youre maybe a bit jealous. :sherlock: