Bishop with his head in the sand.

five stars

There is an article in the sun today detailing arrests made for sectarianism since 2010. The figures show 909 arrests for abuse against catholics and 606 arrests for abuse against Protestants.

The bishop tartaglia is quoted in the article saying " It seems incontrovertible now that our problem is not so much sectarianism but anti Catholicism. This is regrettable because popular culture is inventing all kinds of new reasons to marginalise and hate catholics. "

So let's look at the figures again, 909 offences against catholicism which we can assume were committed by those from a protestant background. And 606 offences against protestantism by those from a Catholic background. Now we need now to take in to consideration that there are around 800,000 catholics in Scotland and around 3,500,000 from a protestant background.

My statistic skill aren't great but it seem that going by the figures that someone from a Catholic background is three times more likely to commit a sectarian crime than someone from a protestant background. 909 offences from a group of 3.5 million as opposed to 606 offences from a group of 800,000.

The bishop seems to want to put this head in the sand and pretend that there is no such thing as sectarianism just anti Catholicism. In my opinion not a good start by the new communications mouth piece of the Catholic church in Scotland after cardinal Keith O 'Brien gave up frontline duties after his bigot of the year award.

Boring! Sorry always the victim card. If its not the Hokey Cokey , it's anti this , anti that. That chip on the shoulder must be getting passed down the line . Same old tosh. Please remove from BD and stick under 'one liners - Comedy'

The other significance is that despite what the permavictim says, 909 offences in a nation of this size is hardly indicative of rampant anti-catholocism, it's indicative of a minute problem which the majority of people, regardless of background will never experience.

There is an article in the sun today detailing arrests made for sectarianism since 2010. The figures show 909 arrests for abuse against catholics and 606 arrests for abuse against Protestants.

The bishop tartaglia is quoted in the article saying " It seems incontrovertible now that our problem is not so much sectarianism but anti Catholicism. This is regrettable because popular culture is inventing all kinds of new reasons to marginalise and hate catholics. "

So let's look at the figures again, 909 offences against catholicism which we can assume were committed by those from a protestant background. And 606 offences against protestantism by those from a Catholic background. Now we need now to take in to consideration that there are around 800,000 catholics in Scotland and around 3,500,000 from a protestant background.

My statistic skill aren't great but it seem that going by the figures that someone from a Catholic background is three times more likely to commit a sectarian crime than someone from a protestant background. 909 offences from a group of 3.5 million as opposed to 606 offences from a group of 800,000.

The bishop seems to want to put this head in the sand and pretend that there is no such thing as sectarianism just anti Catholicism. In my opinion not a good start by the new communications mouth piece of the Catholic church in Scotland after cardinal Keith O 'Brien gave up frontline duties after his bigot of the year award.

Excellent points. I made this general observation relating to their very specific and distorted interpretation of the facts.

This statistically significant fact will be portrayed as the victim retaliated, but revenge isn't very Christian, as I recall.

Obviously you're no a kafflik - because a kafflik would never question one of those cunts. Anyway, you are very close, actually a kafflik is 3.43 times more liable to abuse a Protestant, than a Protestant is to abuse a fenian fucker. (suppose i'm a lucky one, should be 910).

Sectarianism's a bit of a joke. Combined we have around 1500 sectarian offences per year, compared to something like 6000 racist offences, yet it's the former that gets the media attention and the governmental committees.

Too embarrassed to confront racism that they decide to declare superficial war on a lesser problem in order to appear dynamic: a big failing of the Scottish Government since the days of Jack McConnell.

I've made this point to so many people and none believe me. Scotland is one of the most Racist countries in western Europe and one of the most racist regions in the UK. There were 1500 racist attacks on Asians, mainly Pakistani and yet they make up only about 50,000 of the population. The English are another big victim group. The sectarian thing is convenient. Its just a little local problem centered around football. Much better message than "Come to Scotland because we hate you"

Sectarianism's a bit of a joke. Combined we have around 1500 sectarian offences per year, compared to something like 6000 racist offences, yet it's the former that gets the media attention and the governmental committees.

Too embarrassed to confront racism that they decide to declare superficial war on a lesser problem in order to appear dynamic: a big failing of the Scottish Government since the days of Jack McConnell.

Furthermore, when racism is mentioned, real racism makes it into the headlines far less than the faux racism of "anti-Irish racism" which actually doesn't exist outside the minds of certain bigots.(You know that strange form of racism where one set of white Scottish and Irish people aren't allowed to sing about the other whilst the second can do what it wants in song and image.)I think that there are other groups being unjustly overlooked in favour of the same old tired agenda.

Furthermore, when racism is mentioned, real racism makes it into the headlines far less than the faux racism of "anti-Irish racism" which actually doesn't exist outside the minds of certain bigots.(You know that strange form of racism where one set of white Scottish and Irish people aren't allowed to sing about the other whilst the second can do what it wants in song and image.)I think that there are other groups being unjustly overlooked in favour of the same old tired agenda.

Here's the proof, and remember this is just in Grampian.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1786002

Race victims.

English 196

African 154

Eastern European 137

Indian 135

Pakistani 79

Irish 5

http://www.pressandj...le.aspx/1786002

Race victims.

English 196

African 154

Eastern European 137

Indian 135

Pakistani 79

Irish 5

Gmac, thank you for posting this.

When do we actually hear about anti-English racism, which is inherently ant-British? Sweep. sweep!

Race victims.

English 196

African 154

Eastern European 137

Indian 135

Pakistani 79

Irish 5

But like all things, those 5 at the bottom of your list seem to have the most backing/following in the media. Distort the truth enough and it becomes fact.

I am not racist - I hate all foreigners equally

Race victims.

English 196

African 154

Eastern European 137

Indian 135

Pakistani 79

Irish 5

What a joke, yet there's no daft charity campaigning to stop racism against the English in Scotland (maybe because one of our large political parties is basically the "I Hate England" party)

What a joke, yet there's no daft charity campaigning to stop racism against the English in Scotland (maybe because one of our large political parties is basically the "I Hate England" party)

I reckon a lot of the victims will be young English/African students, Uni's prefer students from outside Scotland because the funding is paid quicker by the authorities/governments. Any negative facts would damage the likes of Aberdeen, Stirling, Dundee etc. Rangers are a useful distraction.

we can't and shouldn't assume that the 909 were abused by protestants as thr is a wider hatred for the catholic church and all they stand for by much more than the one group you allude too