A Case For Youth

Gaz92

I agree, but the benefit to the young strikers of training with Miller everyday shouldn't be underestimated.

Time to be really cynical here... Have we seen a whole load of benefit from Miller's second spell at Ibrox? I accept our squad is much more youth orientated now, but striker is the position we put a bit of effort into this summer, and it's the one position we've not had a whole lot of youths coming from in the last few years.

Time to be really cynical here... Have we seen a whole load of benefit from Miller's second spell at Ibrox? I accept our squad is much more youth orientated now, but striker is the position we put a bit of effort into this summer, and it's the one position we've not had a whole lot of youths coming from in the last few years.

If by benefit you mean to the young players;

Would he have been training with any players of that age at that time? Only the odd player from the youth team were ever allowed to train with the first team.

If by benefit you mean to the young players;

Would he have been training with any players of that age at that time? Only the odd player from the youth team were ever allowed to train with the first team.

A few, I still think with the focus on wages, etc, I think you can put a price on what Miller could offer, and I think it'll be too much at this stage of our rebuilding.

I agree, but the benefit to the young strikers of training with Miller everyday shouldn't be underestimated.

not as big as the benefit from getting regular game time, if we sign Miller or Boyd it will just keep them out the squad and halt their development to suggest otherwise is a lie.

I am sick of this inbred backwards culture in Scottish football we will never improve with the current attitudes we have.

not as big as the benefit from getting regular game time, if we sign Miller or Boyd it will just keep them out the squad and halt their development to suggest otherwise is a lie.

I am sick of this inbred backwards culture in Scottish football we will never improve with the current attitudes we have.

Well put. (tu)

Well written piece Gaz (tu) we should always look at whether a player would bring something more to the team than what we have, i would say that Boyd or Miller wont bring us much more than players we already have and although if the wages were right i would consider either player closely i think your right that we should keep the faith with the younger lads right now as MacLeod, McKay, Aird, Crawford, Hegarty have all impressed me more than Sandaza, Kyle, Black this season and looked hungry for the games rather than its a chore which i have got the feeling some of the sphell signings have felt at times.

Well written piece Gaz (tu) we should always look at whether a player would bring something more to the team than what we have, i would say that Boyd or Miller wont bring us much more than players we already have and although if the wages were right i would consider either player closely i think your right that we should keep the faith with the younger lads right now as MacLeod, McKay, Aird, Crawford, Hegarty have all impressed me more than Sandaza, Kyle, Black this season and looked hungry for the games rather than its a chore which i have got the feeling some of the sphell signings have felt at times.

Very true, the summers blue chip signings from the SPL really have failed to make their impression, and I believe the majority of fans have close to ran out of patience with someone like Black. Personally I'm not convinced the price will be right for someone like Boyd or Miller. They're the sort of figures that would command a starting slot and it's not something we need right now.

Cheers for the comment though, I enjoy when people look for discussion from my blogs. (tu)

https://theibroxroar.wordpress.com/2013/01/21/a-case-for-youth/

My latest on the prospect of the return of Boyd or Miller.

Enjoy!

Good piece mate...have to agree that youth/potential is certainly the way to go for us now. The days of paying big fees and inflated wages to over 30's have to be over!

You always need experience within the squad but signing any of the former players suggested would be a backwards step.

I love super ally but his signing policy has been horrendous, and personnally im getting rathered worried about letting him spend the millions that will be available to him for signings. I think walter smith should be running the rule over any potential new signings as he had an eye for a bargain or 2. Rangers should not be signing anyone over the age of 25 for the next few years on a bosman or by buying once the transfer embargo is up.

Reality is we should be looking to get young players in that can progress at Ibrox so we can flog to the EPL for big bucks and a huge profit(sign of the times these days). The darkside of Glasgow have been doing this now for a few seasons now paying peanuts for players who now could command large transfer fees when sold.

Of all the signings that Ally has made in his tenure I cant see 1 that we could sell for 1 Million. Think we have released 4 of them with a total of about 4 first team apperances

I love super ally but his signing policy has been horrendous, and personnally im getting rathered worried about letting him spend the millions that will be available to him for signings. I think walter smith should be running the rule over any potential new signings as he had an eye for a bargain or 2. Rangers should not be signing anyone over the age of 25 for the next few years on a bosman or by buying once the transfer embargo is up.

Reality is we should be looking to get young players in that can progress at Ibrox so we can flog to the EPL for big bucks and a huge profit(sign of the times these days). The darkside of Glasgow have been doing this now for a few seasons now paying peanuts for players who now could command large transfer fees when sold.

Of all the signings that Ally has made in his tenure I cant see 1 that we could sell for 1 Million. Think we have released 4 of them with a total of about 4 first team apperances

I do agree with you about Ally's signing policy, but you have to wonder if Walter's transfer record is the way to go? He isn't particularly known for sourcing out unknown young talents from the 4 corners to sell them on at a profit. I'm not doubting Walter hasn't had some terrific signings in his time, but it is a different time now, and it is a different breed of player we should be looking for.

Very true, the summers blue chip signings from the SPL really have failed to make their impression, and I believe the majority of fans have close to ran out of patience with someone like Black. Personally I'm not convinced the price will be right for someone like Boyd or Miller. They're the sort of figures that would command a starting slot and it's not something we need right now.

Cheers for the comment though, I enjoy when people look for discussion from my blogs. (tu)

No problem bud (tu) i agree that some players are living on borrowed time at the moment and really need to up their game, Black being the main culprit, i would love to see a young Rangers team with the players who hav'nt got as much game time like Aird, Walsh and Crawford joining Mckay, Macleod, Temps ect unleashed on SFL3 and Ally telling them to play attacking football with no fear and to enjoy their football, but i doubt he would as the reactions of some if we lost would be hysterical as usual.

No problem bud (tu) i agree that some players are living on borrowed time at the moment and really need to up their game, Black being the main culprit, i would love to see a young Rangers team with the players who hav'nt got as much game time like Aird, Walsh and Crawford joining Mckay, Macleod, Temps ect unleashed on SFL3 and Ally telling them to play attacking football with no fear and to enjoy their football, but i doubt he would as the reactions of some if we lost would be hysterical as usual.

True, I realise there has to be a sense of realism as well. Bringing the youth through is vital, but finding the balance is crucial.