Man to stand trial for 'racially abusing Rangers players' on Twitter

Mark Walters

http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/211094-man-to-stand-trial-for-racially-abusing-kyle-bartley-and-maurice-edu/

A man is to stand trial accused of racially abusing two former Rangers players on Twitter.

Michael Convery, 41, from Govan, Glasgow, is accused of making racist remarks which caused or were intended to cause alarm and distress.

The alleged comments were made to Swansea player Kyle Bartley and Bursapor midfielder Maurice Edu on January 14, 2012.

Both players were with Rangers at the time of the alleged incident.

Convery denied the charges when he appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Wednesday.

A trial date has been set for later this year.

No mention of what team this alleged racist supports.

http://local.stv.tv/...nd-maurice-edu/

A man is to stand trial accused of racially abusing two former Rangers players on Twitter.

Michael Convery, 41, from Govan, Glasgow, is accused of making racist remarks which caused or were intended to cause alarm and distress.

The alleged comments were made to Swansea player Kyle Bartley and Bursapor midfielder Maurice Edu on January 14, 2012.

Both players were with Rangers at the time of the alleged incident.

Convery denied the charges when he appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Wednesday.

A trial date has been set for later this year.

No mention of what team this alleged racist supports.

Surely not Ronnie's brother? Surely not?

Its about time the media highlighted the fact that racism is a far bigger problem than sectarianism. 4500 racist crimes compared with around 800 sectarian. The black and asian population of this country is tiny, making it even worse. Best little racist country in europe.

With it being Govan it makes you think but if it was a Rangers fan you would be pretty sure they would have mentioned that already...

Govan has a huge bheast population.

I'm betting he's a member of the Govan Emerald CSC who cowardly descend on ibrox when nobody is about to throw beer cans at elderly women.

Its about time the media highlighted the fact that racism is a far bigger problem than sectarianism. 4500 racist crimes compared with around 800 sectarian. The black and asian population of this country is tiny, making it even worse. Best little racist country in europe.

Bang on, mate! Bang on! (tu)

There aren't really enough non-white people in power to push that agenda ahead of that belonging to Scottish Thin Shane brigade.

That reminds me of the old "Thin Shane - Republican Hunger Striker" gag.

Bang on, mate! Bang on! (tu)

There aren't really enough non-white people in power to push that agenda ahead of that belonging to Scottish Thin Shane brigade.

That reminds me of the old "Thin Shane - Republican Hunger Striker" gag.

There isn't any research required, thats the annoying thing. Simply type in google Racist Attack Edinburgh, then try Aberdeen, then Dundee etc totally horrific and none of this twitter stuff. All serious incidents.

There isn't any research required, thats the annoying thing. Simply type in google Racist Attack Edinburgh, then try Aberdeen, then Dundee etc totally horrific and none of this twitter stuff. All serious incidents.

On the flip side, whites are subjected to racist abuse, attacks and murders too.

That's for an entirely different thread though.

More tims in Govan than you might think mate.

Govan has a huge bheast population.

I'm betting he's a member of the Govan Emerald CSC who cowardly descend on ibrox when nobody is about to throw beer cans at elderly women.

Govan full of scum supporters and always has been.

I'll put that down to being in Edinburgh :lol: saying that I had seen the Govan Emeralds previous expedition to Ibrox and pretty sure the stadium bar was avoided because it was always reeking with them? (or possibly owned by one?)

My original point still stands though, if it was a Rangers fans they would surely have told us!

On the flip side, whites are subjected to racist abuse, attacks and murders too.

That's for an entirely different thread though.

Yes, white English. About 1250 such attacks, many in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Dundee where it is rife. The vast majority of the attacks carried out by white Scots.

My original point still stands though, if it was a Rangers fans they would surely have told us!

Yes they would.

But it's definitely not a Rangers fan.

This is one of the many RM threads from the time of the incident (14 Jan 2012).

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=208100

And here's the STV report of the time, complete with screenshots...

http://local.stv.tv/glasgow/293678-rangers-players-targeted-in-twitter-racist-abuse/?

Yes, white English. About 1250 such attacks, many in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Dundee where it is rife. The vast majority of the attacks carried out by white Scots.

Not what I was getting at though its a valid point and a real issue, Was thinking more along the lines of the murder of Kris McDonald and the Irish guy whose name I forget.