Why are we paying the 2nd highest wage bill in Scottish football

Exactly.

And could we be sure that Ally would have them playing great football anyway?

I think the blend of youth and experience is about right for what we have, it's the quality that's missing.

Its the players coasting through games that's been the problem just doing enough to win isnt good enough at Rangers.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The big problem is, a young vibrant expansive team probably wouldn't win the league we are in at the moment.

That would be a real disaster.

Over the course of a season it would mate...we may lose more games whilst trying to implement it but at this level we can afford to lose the odd game as no one is consistent enough to challenge us and it would put is in a much stronger position for the future!

Over the course of a season it would mate...we may lose more games whilst trying to implement it but at this level we can afford to lose the odd game as no one is consistent enough to challenge us and it would put is in a much stronger position for the future!

Better position for the future without a doubt.

I still maintain however that a young side would not win this league in the first season.

I still maintain however that a young side would not win this league in the first season.

You do still need experience there is no doubt but the way we are setting up and trying to grind out results will stunt the progress of our youngsters...some fans will moan regardless but if I was seeing progress and the attempt to improve our style if play I would be much happier...I just feel we are missing an opportunity and instead of having a squad of young, hungry players with something to prove we have a lot of supposed SPL quality on big wages coasting through and it's holding us back.

Fine by me,by the time we get to the SPL we will have a team that have matured together and won't need rebuilding.

I don't think there would be many,if any people complaining about that.

It's what we had prepared ourself for in the summer.

Fine by me,by the time we get to the SPL we will have a team that have matured together and won't need rebuilding.

I don't think there would be many,if any people complaining about that.

It's what we had prepared ourself for in the summer.

Nup I can't buy it.

There is a fine line with progressing and failure.

Anything but getting out of the 3rd division is out and out failure for me and wholly unacceptable.

Nup I can't buy it.

There is a fine line with progressing and failure.

Anything but getting out of the 3rd division is out and out failure for me and wholly unacceptable.

Na that's the short sightedness that got us in this mess in the first place.

Like spending a fortune to make the Champion's League rather than budgeting for not making it.

Na that's the short sightedness that got us in this mess in the first place.

Like spending a fortune to make the Champion's League rather than budgeting for not making it.

What, a winning mentality? I'll take winning ugly or winning pretty I just want to win.

Dropping the divisions I'd like to see us build some youth into the mix however I still want to win. Ive grew up watching Rangers win and it's all I want to see.

Financial mis management got us into this mess. Not wanting to win at all costs.

I'm not prepared to wait 5 years to get back to the SPL I'm afraid. The idea of a young Barca-esq side sounds great in theory but in reality it's not likely to ever happen in the lower trenches in Scotland IMO.

What, a winning mentality? I'll take winning ugly or winning pretty I just want to win.

Dropping the divisions I'd like to see us build some youth into the mix however I still want to win. Ive grew up watching Rangers win and it's all I want to see.

Financial mis management got us into this mess. Not wanting to win at all costs.

I'm not prepared to wait 5 years to get back to the SPL I'm afraid. The idea of a young Barca-esq side sounds great in theory but in reality it's not likely to ever happen in the lower trenches in Scotland IMO.

What about a few years not winning a league countered by a period of domination?

That's your choice and you're entitled to it but we've been hampered for a very long time by this urge to finish above celt*c,no matter what.

We have that monkey off our back now and don't have to throw money away to win a shitey league,or so I thought.

What about a few years not winning a league countered by a period of domination?

That's your choice and you're entitled to it but we've been hampered for a very long time by this urge to finish above celt*c,no matter what.

We have that monkey off our back now and don't have to throw money away to win a shitey league,or so I thought.

I can't disagree with you to be honest mate. And what you are saying is probably right.

Me personally, and especially after today, I just fucking hate losing. I think my hate of losing would override any thought of progression which gives me the 'win at all costs' mentality.

I can't disagree with you to be honest mate. And what you are saying is probably right.

Me personally, and especially after today, I just fucking hate losing. I think my hate of losing would override any thought of progression which gives me the 'win at all costs' mentality.

Winning is a mentality that comes with our club mate but I can handle being second best if I know it's going to click at some point.

The way forward for Rangers is our young ones progressing to the first team and eventually getting a move to a better league whilst making us a healthy return into the bargain then restart the cycle.

In my opinion we have a season to season mentality which has rubbed off on some of the support judging by the 'If Ally wins the league he's done his job' comments.

The problem with the Gers is they don't have a defence nor midfeild as was shown once again today,

the wee Utd guy that looks like a walking gerry helmet Flood-ed the midfeild by himself today.

McCoist must buy a couple of defenders and mid-fielders in September, we have a few good attacking

goal scorers but when the players behind you are not doing their job any team will struggle to get results,

3rd division teams now fancy their chances against us at their home grounds and rightly so,

any manager worth his salt could have his players pick holes in our defence, at times they are woeful to

say the least.

The big problem is, a young vibrant expansive team probably wouldn't win the league we are in at the moment.

That would be a real disaster.

To be honest it is not the young players who have been found out this season,in fact our form has dropped badly with the increased use of experienced players.

To be honest it is not the young players who have been found out this season,in fact our form has dropped badly with the increased use of experienced players.

That's a point i agree with when the young players have been replaced by the older/spl players we have looked weaker.

If the older players shown the form they had at other clubs we would have done well also.

We've done things arse about front IMO and down the road we are going to be worse off for it.

Instead of "dangling the carrot" in front of young, hungry players who need to strive to improve their game to stay in the team, guys who could have had the opportunity to develop, win things and improve their game we dangled it in front of average players in the middle of their careers who are now being paid the most money of their lives to play at a level that they think they can simply breeze through by phoning it in.

Agree completely - a wasted opportunity to revolutionise the way the club operates, and the adverse long term effect may be fucking horrific.

Feels as though we have all seen this movie before.

I just don't think we are getting value for money from the experienced players, Cribari, the Greek, Shiels, Sandaza, Black, Kyle... in years gone by these players would not have got anywhere near Rangers let alone being considered an automatic first pick. As for the younger players from the youth set up, for every McKay and Macleod we have a Perry and a Naismith. Lets face facts, if we were still in the SPL the only young players that would get near the first team would be the fore mentioned McKay and Macleod. Perry, Hegarty, Naismith are not Rangers or SPL class, Hutton has found his level in Div 1 and Cole/Hemmings may never actually reach anywhere near thier potential.

Agree completely - a wasted opportunity to revolutionise the way the club operates, and the adverse long term effect may be fucking horrific.

Feels as though we have all seen this movie before.

yeah mate i'm with you on that

I thought rock bottom had been hit and the only way was up but i have real concerns about the direction the club is going .... <cr>

Simply because we can.

Is it not the case that our excessive expenditure on players wages contributed to us getting into the financial situation that led to last years disastrous events.

Is it not the case that currently, and according to CG, we are trading at a loss.

Is it not possible that if performances on the park do not improve we could lose revenue due to diminished enthusiasm amongst our support and a resulting decline in revenue from reduced ticket sales.

Therefore I am not convinced we can afford to pay these wages, nor am I convinced that even if we could afford these wages that we should be doing so.

Any surplus revenue should be going into Youth Development. That is the foundation for the future for both the Team and the Financial Soundness of Rangers Football Club.

What about if your wage bill is north of 27m per year? You've got StMIrren to playin a semi final yet you get beat!

It was a bad day yesterday. Personally, I wasn't surprised. We've cobbled this team together in the time we were allowed to in the Summer. Alexander, Wallace, McLeod, McCulloch, Templeton and McKay are the only ones anywhere near worthy of wearing that shirt.

However, the incredible situation we had 6 months ago has left us where we are. There are going to be more roller coaster rides over the next few years bears, no doubt about that. Take a seat and remember tolerance and sanity.

What about if your wage bill is north of 27m per year? You've got StMIrren to playin a semi final yet you get beat!

It was a bad day yesterday. Personally, I wasn't surprised. We've cobbled this team together in the time we were allowed to in the Summer. Alexander, Wallace, McLeod, McCulloch, Templeton and McKay are the only ones anywhere near worthy of wearing that shirt.

However, the incredible situation we had 6 months ago has left us where we are. There are going to be more roller coaster rides over the next few years bears, no doubt about that. Take a seat and remember tolerance and sanity.

Exactly.

Some need to get over themselves and accept that this won't be the meteoric rise they were hoping. We are facing a couple years of hard graft and some disappointments. If they don't have the stomach for this then it's best for everyone if they go away and come back when we've completed this journey.

Is it not the case that our excessive expenditure on players wages contributed to us getting into the financial situation that led to last years disastrous events.

Is it not the case that currently, and according to CG, we are trading at a loss.

Is it not possible that if performances on the park do not improve we could lose revenue due to diminished enthusiasm amongst our support and a resulting decline in revenue from reduced ticket sales.

Therefore I am not convinced we can afford to pay these wages, nor am I convinced that even if we could afford these wages that we should be doing so.

Any surplus revenue should be going into Youth Development. That is the foundation for the future for both the Team and the Financial Soundness of Rangers Football Club.

Good morning Beaujolais

You may note that I responded to Goianaegra that I was not defending our attitude simply stating a fact.

I do not agree with our current wage structure, we always seem to be paying top dollar, a kind of buy success at all costs mentality rather than seeking out a transfer bargain and possibly making a profit on players but I wont hold my breath under the current regime.

Obviously from time to time we unearth a gem but they seem to be few and far between and paying the kind of big bucks we are at the moment to under achievers or under performers seems crazy.

I've never understood the policy of getting other SPL clubs players who are on £2500 a week then paying them £15000 a week for the privilege of playing for Rangers..

We should be paying 1st Division wages at a maximum right now, it's absolutely a waste of money the squad we have now.

The expierenced players we already had mixed with our youth and maybe some Scottish youth brought in would of been suffice.

We are paying way over the odds for players that are just not performing. Maybe it is the manager that is to blame for them not performing.

these foreigners we have signed would not imo get into any spl clubs. we could of went to the lower lgs in england and got better players for the same wage. our scouting system under out currant regime is embarrassing.

Ranger are not of spl standerd but we pay wages, the 2nd highest in Scotland. It obvious that things arnt write and need to be addressed. Its a problem that needs fixed.