The First Step

Gaz92

I wonder how a PLG style approach would work in our current predicament, with a focus on youth, fitness, skill and discipline.

Quite the thought, eh? I often wonder where the club could be if PLG could have adapted to the culture...

Quite the thought, eh? I often wonder where the club could be if PLG could have adapted to the culture...

The right guy at the wrong time (possibly) Hate to say it but most rangers fans know that if our manager and coaches cannot reinvent themselves quickly things are going to end badly.

The right guy at the wrong time (possibly) Hate to say it but most rangers fans know that if our manager and coaches cannot reinvent themselves quickly things are going to end badly.

I quite agree, I have seen a lot of "Ally deserves one more season with a clean slate". I thought that was what this was? How long does this go on for if nothing changes?

As I mentioned before re PLG he was shafted by the players and the question is not ...............if PLG could have adapted to the culture, but Rangers adapting to PLG and his culture re football.

As I mentioned before re PLG he was shafted by the players and the question is not ...............if PLG could have adapted to the culture, but Rangers adapting to PLG and his culture re football.

Good point ED. I know this squad couldn't either, a week without Nando's and transfer requests would be getting handed in...

Do you think after the PLG saga that Rangers would ever go down that route again? eg a free thinking European coach who looks to implement new ideas and structure within a British team?

Can it fit into a club with such a strong Glasgow culture?

I feel under McCoist it's all very comfy and enjoyable, are they really being challenged in the way a PLG would though? I'm not convinced. When we see people discussing potential next managers, it's always current SPL managers, or a Billy Davies that is mentioned. I think the whole place is still a bit scarred by the Le Guen "era".

Do you think after the PLG saga that Rangers would ever go down that route again? eg a free thinking European coach who looks to implement new ideas and structure within a British team?

Perhaps with the club stripped of t's players, this approach could have been brought in especially the training methods and a stricter regime and build up players to this style.

Good read mate agree with a lot you saying nobody wants Ally to fail but he needs to address the problems and situation ASAP if he stands any chance of suceeding and taking the club forward IMO.

Cheers mate, I want Ally to succeed as much as the next guy, but it has to be addressed.

On Facebook I'm being told my support of the club is not needed as I'm simply trying to cause divide. It worries me that some are willing to sit back and watch in such a blinded manner!

Cheers mate, I want Ally to succeed as much as the next guy, but it has to be addressed.

On Facebook I'm being told my support of the club is not needed as I'm simply trying to cause divide. It worries me that some are willing to sit back and watch in such a blinded manner!

It will only hold us back further, at this rate it will be a long, long time before we are back at the top of the pile in a number of areas.

It's sad to watch tbh.

I think PLG was a spent force before he came to us having taken a year out because he could not handle the pressure at Lyon.He did no research into our club or Scottish football and had to do something he had never done; identify and sign players and as you said he failed to get our players on his side.

Players were no fitter than before, in fact, possibly less fit going by results and goals lost towards the end of games.I will never forget him rocking back and forward asking the media,of all people, "what can I do." I am still convinced Gavin Rae who had few appearances was made captain because PLG thought he was the previous years vice captain Alex Rae.

Yes it would have been a real step forward if the players attitudes to increased training and acceptance of the need to change lifestyles to those of modern professional sportsmen could have been altered but I do not think PLG was the man to do that.I really wish we could find that person to do that at this time because the youngsters need to have proper guidance rather than following the example that has been inherent.

I think PLG was a spent force before he came to us having taken a year out because he could not handle the pressure at Lyon.He did no research into our club or Scottish football and had to do something he had never done; identify and sign players and as you said he failed to get our players on his side.

Players were no fitter than before, in fact, possibly less fit going by results and goals lost towards the end of games.I will never forget him rocking back and forward asking the media,of all people, "what can I do." I am still convinced Gavin Rae who had few appearances was made captain because PLG thought he was the previous years vice captain Alex Rae.

Yes it would have been a real step forward if the players attitudes to increased training and acceptance of the need to change lifestyles to those of modern professional sportsmen could have been altered but I do not think PLG was the man to do that.I really wish we could find that person to do that at this time because the youngsters need to have proper guidance rather than following the example that has been inherent.

Perhaps he was not strong enough to handle the childish behaviour of certain Rangers players, and was taken aback by the state of the apathy to his ideas............he did make Adams into a leaner fitter player, played him central midfield and was repaid by goals in Europe. One thing he has in our history was the first Rangers manager to record a victory against an Italian team in Italy.

I agree with some of what you say, but what chance did PLG stand when certain influential players wouldn't/couldn't adopt a more professional attitude to training

If they had tried to embrace a modern approach to living the life of a professional athlete they might still be playing at a decent level.(none of them are to my knowledge)

Where would the club be if the owner backed the manager in 2006.?