Super Ally Suggesting Safe Song Sheet

nachothelegend

http://www.independent.co.uk/

Rangers manager Ally McCoist believes supporters should be issued with a safe songsheet

ANDY NEWPORT

MONDAY 25 FEBRUARY 2013

Rangers manager Ally McCoist believes the club's supporters should be issued with a safe songsheet outlining just what chants are and are not acceptable.

The Ibrox faithful were criticised after they were caught on camera belting out a string of sectarian anthems and other unacceptable songs during Saturday's Irn-Bru Scottish Football League Third Division match at Berwick.

Club bosses even issued a statement half way through the Glasgow side's 3-1 win at Shielfield expressing their concern over the chants.

And broadcasters ESPN also made an on-air apology to viewers who were offended by the supporters' actions as they screened the match live.

McCoist today urged fans to "behave" while following the Light Blues but suggested it might help supporters if they were told exactly what songs they were and were not allowed to sing.

He said: "If that eradicates the problem, then I'm all for it - absolutely all for it.

"Anything that would move us forward and eradicate that problem that we had at the weekend would be helpful.

"It might seem like a drastic measure but if it helps, then I don't have a problem with it at all. In fact, I'd encourage it."

Uefa issued Rangers with a 40,000 euros (£35,180) fine and banned its fans from travelling to Sweden for the club's Champions League qualifier against Malmo last season after they were charged with sectarian singing during a Europa League match at PSV Eindhoven in March, 2011.

But McCoist insists the club has been stringent in its work to rid its support of the sectarian element.

"The club has taken giant strides to move forward," he said. "The vast, vast majority are of that opinion and that is what we want.

"There is no place for yesterday's songs in the modern game, we all know that. They are unacceptable and there is no place for them in a modern society.

"We are doing our best to move forward and some massive, massive steps have been taken. The weekend was obviously a disappointment but I'm not going to get too carried away with that disappointment because we want to keep moving forward again.

"I don't have any doubts that the majority of our fans want to leave those days behind us.

"We will move forward, because we have got a phenomenal fan base who have been nothing short of fantastic this season. The vast majority of them know what is expected, because they are representing the club as well.

"It's important that they behave themselves and the club has a good image moving forward.

"I want them to come and sing the songs that get the Rangers team going but support them in the proper manner. That is exactly what we want.

"I'm very hopeful that this is just a minor hiccup."

Rangers return to the scene of their only league defeat of the season when they face Stirling Albion at Forthbank tomorrow night.

Brian Allison struck for the Binos in a stunning 1-0 win back in October but since then the Ibrox men have gone on to open up a 22-point lead at the table summit.

That has now put them potentially within six wins of the title but McCoist insists his only focus is finally winning in Stirling.

He said: "That was the venue of our only defeat this season and I can obviously remember it well. It was a very disappointing performance. Certainly it was one of the blacker days of the season so far.

"So we will know what to expect. Even at Ibrox I thought Stirling played well and made it difficult for us.

"But we are just concentrating on winning the league, not where or when we win it. I haven't even looked at when it could happen.

"Let's be quite frank about it. We have got ourselves in a great position to go on and win the title. Hopefully that is the case, and if it is, hopefully it is sooner rather than later."

This in my opinion covers all bases ,and eliminates all the Overreaction Shit storm caused by some Young Daft Boyness at the Berwick Game on Saturday.

We must push for this for the sake of the Club and Fans.

This is the world we live in and we need to start understanding that what we went through has put us at the forefront of the worlds sporting media. We shouldn't be embarrassing our club and tarnishing our world renowned support with these petty digs in our songs at the match.

I didn't think we needed a list of do's and do not's, but obviously we do. If this is the best way to protect the club from sanctions and the fans from arrest then let's do it.

Get a list sorted, get some clarity and then it's done, and then no one can have any issues at the games if fans tell other fans to reign it in a bit.

The vocal few on here not wanting a list only say so as to ensure the issue will keep popping up when they chose to be offended by summit else.

The vocal few on here not wanting a list only say so as to ensure the issue will keep popping up when they chose to be offended by summit else.

Ridiculous.

We shouldn't need a list but obviously we do. However should we get this list that will open another can of worms with people who don't agree with what is on the list.

Tbh, I'd rather talk about football but that doesn't seem possible on here at the moment.

I think it should be done, there is so much ambiguity as to what is and is not acceptable. TBB and No Pope of Rome are not. Is the Sash? TBB with amended lyrics? What about those that throw add ons into acceptable songs?

Loyalist songs? Should we only sing songs about Rangers? GStQ and Rule Britania aren't about the Club but it would be ridiculous to suggest we can't sing them.

What about Derry's Walls? It's not an aggressive song but a song of defiance but if that's unacceptable would not Flower of Scotland be too?

There is so much differing opinion between ourselves never mind our detractors for there to be clarity. If we have a song book at least the club and the majority of the support can cover our backs against the media, police and footballing institutions.

Personally I don't support Rangers to be in a choir and if having a god damn song book is beneficial for the club then I'm all for it.

I think it should be done, there is so much ambiguity as to what is and is not acceptable. TBB and No Pope of Rome are not. Is the Sash? TBB with amended lyrics? What about those that throw add ons into acceptable songs?

Loyalist songs? Should we only sing songs about Rangers? GStQ and Rule Britania aren't about the Club but it would be ridiculous to suggest we can't sing them.

What about Derry's Walls? It's not an aggressive song but a song of defiance but if that's unacceptable would not Flower of Scotland be too?

There is so much differing opinion between ourselves never mind our detractors for there to be clarity. If we have a song book at least the club and the majority of the support can cover our backs against the media, police and footballing institutions.

Personally I don't support Rangers to be in a choir and if having a god damn song book is beneficial for the club then I'm all for it.

If you use common sense it is blatantly obvious what is acceptable and what is unacceptable. Unfortunately common sense has gone the way of the dodo.

Personally, I think it's fairly obvious what should & shouldn't be sing and saying otherwise is just a suitable excuse to "... but I didn't know", however in law, ignorance is not a defence.

However, a song sheet/list, as issued by the club, would remove ALL doubt for all fans of the club.

I would hope they would consult the UB/TBO to, at least get a list of ALL song, then cross out the ones that are deemed 'unacceptable' by the police and ONLY the police, no other people need contribute eg SFA/SPL etc.

If you use common sense it is blatantly obvious what is acceptable and what is unacceptable. Unfortunately common sense has gone the way of the dodo.

Oh yeah? So define Build My Gallows as a song. Is it acceptable/inappropriate/sectarian?

Tell us do, Mr Common Sense.

I think this should be broadened as an SFA initiative to all clubs in the SFL/SPL. All clubs should be made to provide a songsheet to supporters. Its not just Rangers who may sing songs that are deemed inappropraite and we should not be singled out simply because of one weekend.

Oh yeah? So define Build My Gallows as a song. Is it acceptable/inappropriate/sectarian?

Tell us do, Mr Common Sense.

It's clearly not sectarian.

Appropriate? I see no reason why it would offend anybody else, but I also see no reason why it should be sung at a football match.

I think this should be broadened as an SFA initiative to all clubs in the SFL/SPL. All clubs should be made to provide a songsheet to supporters. Its not just Rangers who may sing songs that are deemed inappropraite and we should not be singled out simply because of one weekend.

Yet Again WE set the standard and i agree, others should be made to follow it.

I am all for a song book, song sheet whatever!

Appropriate? I see no reason why it would offend anybody else, but I also see no reason why it should be sung at a football match.

its sectarian. Only because it's about a man getting hung due to sectarian fighting. It's sectarian on their part though.

its sectarian. Only because it's about a man getting hung due to sectarian fighting. It's sectarian on their part though.