A Rangers Membership Scheme

What are people opinions on the viability of such a scheme?

Say for arguments sake a rich businessman bought up 51% of the shares in RIFC Plc and gifted them to the fans.

Basing it on Bayern Munich's scheme (They have around 130,000 member):

Annual Cost:

Adult- £50

OAP/U18's - £25

18-25 year old's - £35

Benefits:

Match-day programme posted out before each home game

Rangers Monthly magazine posted out each month

Ability to buy a ST

Plastic membership card with photo

10% off match tickets

Get to vote in half of the board of RIFC Plc (Don't know if its voted annually or every 2 years)

Priority to buy match tickets before public sale

Can join the away ticket scheme (Possibly could be added in)

Personally I think we could get up to 80,000 members pretty quickly, would also give the fans a massive say in how the club is run, and would involve the fans more via the programmes and magazine. Only problem is acquiring 51% of the club in the first place.

Anyone think this couldn't work in Scotland? Why not?

I don't think that it would bring in a massive amount of extra revenue, but it would give the fans the greatest possibly say in the running of the club (more so than the fans owning the majority of the shares in small amounts), and would involve the fans much more with the running of the club.

Along with avoiding any possibly Whyte situation again.

I seen on the BBC yesterday that half of English clubs have had an insolvency event in the last 20 years, not one German club has had an insolvency event in the same period.

Alien concept here, wouldn't work. Can you imagine if certain groups or people got involved in running it.

Half the board would be voted in by a majority of members after an election.

No one would be involved in 'running it' unless they were voted in.

Can you give reasons why it wouldn't work? or are you just going to dismiss it?

I understand your sentiment - should have been thought about around the time of the share issue - I think having to pay £50 just to have the right to buy a season ticket is a bit steep - not much incentive to buy one if you are getting 10% of a normal match ticket!!!!

What are people opinions on the viability of such a scheme?

Say for arguments sake a rich businessman bought up 51% of the shares in RIFC Plc and gifted them to the fans.

Basing it on Bayern Munich's scheme (They have around 130,000 member):

Annual Cost:

Adult- £50

OAP/U18's - £25

18-25 year old's - £35

Benefits:

Match-day programme posted out before each home game

Rangers Monthly magazine posted out each month

Ability to buy a ST

Plastic membership card with photo

10% off match tickets

Get to vote in half of the board of RIFC Plc (Don't know if its voted annually or every 2 years)

Priority to buy match tickets before public sale

Can join the away ticket scheme (Possibly could be added in)

Personally I think we could get up to 80,000 members pretty quickly, would also give the fans a massive say in how the club is run, and would involve the fans more via the programmes and magazine. Only problem is acquiring 51% of the club in the first place.

Anyone think this couldn't work in Scotland? Why not?

I think it would work - but the other thing about German football is all the teams worked together to make the whole game attractive to the majority of the fans and in particular to NOT disenfranchise the male youths - so while the membership scheme could work (based on said mystery benefactor) the rest of what German football did would find a good few barriers I am afraid.

How about, rather than waiting for a rich business man to gift 51% of shares, one of the supporters club sets up the scheme and the first 5/6 years the membership fee goes towards acquiring those shares then afterwards the scheme can run properly as described in OP?

Half the board would be voted in by a majority of members after an election.

No one would be involved in 'running it' unless they were voted in.

Can you give reasons why it wouldn't work? or are you just going to dismiss it?

No , think I said that being an alien concept here it would never take off, plus too much distrust with certain minor fans groups who would cause problems. plus the 51% would put the downer on it, lets not kid ourselves if the club got on a really strong financial basis someone would sniff about to gather the 51% for themselves, it would be anarchy trying to get fans together to start a scheme t even look at gaining financial clout to do something.

Far too many small groups that would never come together the minority that is rst already think they are the voice of the fans they would have to be done away with.

I like the concept mate and I would get involved but the thing is you do need a wealthy guy or two to underwrite it to begin with at least and it seems they are in short supply or at least in terms of wanting to invest in us!

I think it would work - but the other thing about German football is all the teams worked together to make the whole game attractive to the majority of the fans and in particular to NOT disenfranchise the male youths - so while the membership scheme could work (based on said mystery benefactor) the rest of what German football did would find a good few barriers I am afraid.

Strange things about German football games I'v been to: Much more women, groups of girls in their late teens/20's and couples strangely.

Most Scottish teams fans seem to be dominated by middle aged bald men and young men/boys.

Strange things about German football games I'v been to: Much more women, groups of girls in their late teens/20's and couples strangely.

Most Scottish teams fans seem to be dominated by middle aged bald men and young men/boys.

Agreed - and again German football went out of its way to make the whole game more accomodating - and look at their crowds - very healthy!

I like the concept mate and I would get involved but the thing is you do need a wealthy guy or two to underwrite it to begin with at least and it seems they are in short supply or at least in terms of wanting to invest in us!

Exactly, it simply wont happen if we set up a membership scheme to acquire shares.It would need to own the shares in full before we started recruiting members or it simply wouldn't work.

Agreed - and again German football went out of its way to make the whole game more accommodating - and look at their crowds - very healthy!

Was strange the amount of females, young an old who were in with the ultras especially.

there seems to be a totally different demographic of supporter out there, from experience.

Was strange the amount of females, young an old who were in with the ultras especially.

there seems to be a totally different demographic of supporter out there, from experience.

went to a few games about 15 years ago - lots of trouble, poor crowds - went to two similar games in the last year - crowd had changed, attitudes had changed, there was excitment, large vocal crowds and fun!