Union Bears Season 2012/13

He's so out of touch with the Rangers support.

If that's the case why don't we hear 45,000 singing these songs out for the duration of each match? There seems to have been an awful lot of posts concerning the lack of singing at Ibrox. Maybe I don't represent the majority on the forum, then again that's not to say that the members of the forum represent the majority of Rangers fans. You say I'm "not in touch", with the Rangers support, when do we ever get a situation where the bulk of the Rangers support agree on any thing never mind what songs to sing. It's my belief that we should be singing about the club, if that means new songs need to be written about our triumphs on the pitch and the men who brought them about then so be it. Then again maybe I'm not the one who's out of touch with the Rangers support.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that's the case why don't we hear 45,000 singing these songs out for the duration of each match? There seems to have been an awful lot of posts concerning the lack of singing at Ibrox. Maybe I don't represent the majority on the forum, then again that's not to say that the members of the forum represent the majority of Rangers fans. You say I'm "not in touch", with the Rangers support, when do we ever get a situation where the bulk of the Rangers support agree on any thing never mind what songs to sing. It's my belief that we should be singing about the club, if that means new songs need to be written about our triumphs on the pitch and the men who brought them about then so be it. Then again maybe I'm not the one who's out of touch with the Rangers support.

But nothing is sung at Ibrox by the majority. Doesn't matter if it's Loyalist, Pop, Bigotry, Rangers songs whatever.

Rangers. Either with us or against us.

And there is the problem, when you speak of "us" you are making the mistake that all must think the same as yourself if they are to be classed as Rangers fans. There are songs that have been sung that have been deemed illegal, there are some that are legal but fall under the laws of the land because of the "add on" lines, and indeed there are songs that have some merit as loyalist folk songs. I think we can probably agree on that much if not where they should be sung.

Now let's say that under the new rules of a reconstructed league they structured things in a manner where they could fine any club whose fans who sang songs that they have decided are unacceptable plus a points deduction for repeat offences. Let's say a sum of 200,000 after three warnings and after nine games they had fined Rangers a total of 600,000 and docked the team 5 points. Would you still sing these songs?

I'm sure you will say that this will never happen, but when dealing with people who have re-written the rule books to suit themselves so many times in the last two years I wouldn't put it past them. My view is pre-empt any moves they make and stop them in their tracks for the good of the club. Otherwise we are just you're just playing into their hands and they will make as much capital from it as they can through the media.

In this scenario your "Rangers. Either with us or against us" line will be used by those who have made big investments in the club against you because they will see you as a problem when it comes to gaining large scale investments. Ooops, I forgot you seem to think everything I post is smokescreen.

And there is the problem, when you speak of "us" you are making the mistake that all must think the same as yourself if they are to be classed as Rangers fans. There are songs that have been sung that have been deemed illegal, there are some that are legal but fall under the laws of the land because of the "add on" lines, and indeed there are songs that have some merit as loyalist folk songs. I think we can probably agree on that much if not where they should be sung.

Now let's say that under the new rules of a reconstructed league they structured things in a manner where they could fine any club whose fans who sang songs that they have decided are unacceptable plus a points deduction for repeat offences. Let's say a sum of 200,000 after three warnings and after nine games they had fined Rangers a total of 600,000 and docked the team 5 points. Would you still sing these songs?

I'm sure you will say that this will never happen, but when dealing with people who have re-written the rule books to suit themselves so many times in the last two years I wouldn't put it past them. My view is pre-empt any moves they make and stop them in their tracks for the good of the club. Otherwise we are just you're just playing into their hands and they will make as much capital from it as they can through the media.

In this scenario your "Rangers. Either with us or against us" line will be used by those who have made big investments in the club against you because they will see you as a problem when it comes to gaining large scale investments. Ooops, I forgot you seem to think everything I post is smokescreen.

With "us" I was also including you, as a Rangers fan.

and the rest of it your deferring (probably on purpose because you've lost the Loyalist argument)

Until such time as new rules come in that deem a song illegal then there is NOTHING wrong with singing it.

This season there was only one occasion of sectarian language used at Ibrox, the rest of the time there were no illegal songs or sectarian language used.

At the time that occasion happened, it was rightly condemned and it never happened for the rest of the season.

The song book has been cleaned up a great deal so I cannot understand why people are complaining at fans when they sing perfectly legal songs?

but yet loads of so-called Rangers fans still worry about what these people think of us? we keep trying to look like the better people and not offend those who wanted us dead, stuck the boot into us and continue to lie and write shite about us ... and some of our so-called fans still bother about us potentially looking bad in their eyes? honestly man, I despair.

Rangers. Either with us or against us.

The only thing I worry about is that the club gets fined etc for stuff that all the fans know is against the law. I, personally may not like some of the stuff sung but since it is legal I will not stop anyone who wants to sing it from singing it.

Besides some of the folk songs are very catchy and was there ever a more apt song for us during our troubled times, when everyone was kicking us while we were down than Derry's Walls? I think not.

40,000 + fans roaring no surrender certainly sent a clear message to those who tried to kill our club!

The only thing I worry about is that the club gets fined etc for stuff that all the fans know is against the law. I, personally may not like some of the stuff sung but since it is legal I will not stop anyone who wants to sing it from singing it.

Besides some of the folk songs are very catchy and was there ever a more apt song for us during our troubled times, when everyone was kicking us while we were down than Derry's Walls? I think not.

40,000 + fans roaring no surrender certainly sent a clear message to those who tried to kill our club!

Exactly right.

Don't get me wrong I'll still maintain Billy Boys should never have been banned as I don't find anything wrong with it, but as you say, it's illegal. It could get the club in trouble and could get you jailed. As wrong as it is, we need to take it on the chin but we don't need to be happy about it.

Totally understand where they come from if you add FUCK THE POPE on the end of a song. Got no time for the Pope personally but shouting it is no worth a weekend in the slammer.

But for people who try and stick the boot into perfectly good Loyalist/Unionist songs and hide behind "it's nothing to do with football" is actually pretty pathetic - especially if it's someone who is a Rangers fan themself. Nothing depresses me more.