Ecuador Vs Argies

Couple of hours til I'm off to sit amongst 40-odd thousand rabid Ecuadorians, screaming for their Negritos (literally, little niggers) against the mighty Argentina. The Argies are without Messi and Higuain, and hopefully won't have acclimatised to the altitude in the 2 or 3 days they've been here. For those not in the know, Quito is 2850m above sea level, and we're 6 wins out of six so far. In the last win, against Paraguay, the Paraguayans were running about like mentalists warming up prior to kick-off, played well for the first 15 minutes or so, and then were completely knackered for the rest of the game.

Obviously, there will be certain Rangers fans who won't appreciate this, as they're almost certainly not proddies, but Vamos la tri! Si se puede!

1-1, first points dropped at home. Gifted them an early penalty in the first couple of minutes, but were by far the better team throughout, without creating any clear cut chances. Should have had a penalty, again - that's 3 games that's happened. Macherano sent off with a couple of minutes to go for kicking a medic..

I see Messi came on in the 2nd half and was given the armband... I wonder if Mascherano was the captain initially in the game.

Argentina still sitting pretty on 26 points at the top of the CONMEBOL qualifying table. Looks like Ecuador could get there too as they currently sit in third place. Uruguay struggling in the play-off position...

Pld W D L F A GD Pts

Argentina 13 7 5 1 25 9 +16 26

Colombia 12 7 2 3 21 7 +14 23

Ecuador 12 6 3 3 17 12 +5 21

Chile 13 7 0 6 21 21 0 21

Uruguay 12 4 4 4 18 21 −3 16

Venezuela 13 4 4 5 10 14 −4 16

Peru 12 4 2 6 12 17 −5 14

Bolivia 13 2 4 7 15 24 −9 10

Paraguay 12 2 2 8 9 23 −14 8

With three rounds left, it is still as tight as a gnat's chuff. Everyone can qualify automatically except Bolivia and Paraguay who can only make the play-off position.

What the fuck happened to Paraguay?

The last game for Uruguay will be at home to Argentina... They may need all three points to qualify, which is the reverse of what happened in 2010 qualification when El Diego brought the warhorse of Boca, Martin Palermo, back in to help when needing wins against Peru and Uruguay in the last match. Remember it well... Diego sliding in the rain.

Ecuadorians tend to be of African descent I think? Or at least more than in most South American countries. Probably less PC over there, lucky bastards

The majority of the team is made up of players from the coast, who tend to be of African decent. Negro means black, and Negrito is a term of affection (basically they stick -ito/-ita on the end of a word- it means little). Most of the population is a mix of native and Spanish.

I think Ecuador will be pretty safe- five point cushion over 5th place, only one more home game though against Uruguay. Next best chance at some points is away in Bolivia. Other than that , we're away to Columbia, which will probably be in Baranquilla with its extreme heat and humidity, and away to Chile.

Paraguay have been abysmal considering they were runners-up in the copa america a couple of years ago.

The majority of the team is made up of players from the coast, who tend to be of African decent. Negro means black, and Negrito is a term of affection (basically they stick -ito/-ita on the end of a word- it means little). Most of the population is a mix of native and Spanish.

I think Ecuador will be pretty safe- five point cushion over 5th place, only one more home game though against Uruguay. Next best chance at some points is away in Bolivia. Other than that , we're away to Columbia, which will probably be in Baranquilla with its extreme heat and humidity, and away to Chile.

Paraguay have been abysmal considering they were runners-up in the copa america a couple of years ago.

Suarez tried that defence. :D