Nostalgia- Old pictures of Ibrox

OlegKuznetsov

Our Main Stand really is a magnificent edifice. I doubt if there is anything like it anywhere else - some grounds may be impressive in the amount of seats they have, like the Nou Camp, but externally it's not in the same league.

Aston Villa used to have a really awesome stand

villa2.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes Leitch did a few decent grounds didn't he: Roker Park, Goodison Park, Fratton Park etc

he was a real pioneer for football architecture

The "go-to" man of his day, he also designed the two main stands of the old Highbury, they were listed and the facades have been retained as part of new apartments on the site.

I got a look at the Trinity stand at Villa after our "friendly" in 1976, it was an impressive bit of work. Shame they destroyed it.

are you sure?

back then women weren't allowed to vote, got around in bare feet, were continually up the duff and chained to the kitchen sink 24/7 :lol:

Yes I still would. I still walk about in my bare feet anyway and had my fair share of babies for the population, chained to the kitchen sink sounds familiar except it is now on a part time basis now my cubs are older, hehe :P If I wasn't allowed to vote now, I wouldn't be overly upset about this.

But at least I would get to still watch The Rangers!!! :rangers:

an old friend of mine played against Rangers in the 50`s and 60`s. Now I can relate more to what he is talking about. amazing the amount of working class guys together apposed to now when there is a big difference with people who go .Were there many kids who went ?

an old friend of mine played against Rangers in the 50`s and 60`s. Now I can relate more to what he is talking about. amazing the amount of working class guys together apposed to now when there is a big difference with people who go .Were there many kids who went ?

Lots of kids went when i was going in the 60s.

Leitch must have been a bluenose, as i think he might have designed the Piggery's main stand as well...and THAT looked like feckin Barlinnie!

pretty sure he was (tu)

he designed or had a hand in at least 20 football grounds in the UK although few traces of his work remain today: Ibrox being the best example of his craft still remaining.

pretty sure he was (tu)

he designed or had a hand in at least 20 football grounds in the UK although few traces of his work remain today: Ibrox being the best example of his craft still remaining.

Read on a Villa website that he considered their Trinity Road stand to be his finest work, and allegedly he brought the Rangers directors down to see it when they were commissioning the new Main Stand for Ibrox, and they asked him to build one "the same, but cheaper". Hmmmm.

Read on a Villa website that he considered their Trinity Road stand to be his finest work, and allegedly he brought the Rangers directors down to see it when they were commissioning the new Main Stand for Ibrox, and they asked him to build one "the same, but cheaper". Hmmmm.

Hmmm indeed. He clearly ignored them. The main Stand is the jewel in his crown, more pleasing to the eye than Trinity Road.