Some crucial things said by Stockbridge....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

fair enough, I guess your definition is far far more widespread than mine.

Aye

Ill admit I use words like that as a general negative I don't think too deep about if someone else considers it on a par with Celtic covering up child abuse like you said

Our wage bill is minging but the good thing is we are solvent, in no real immediate danger and no ones stole or got a claim on anything other than mindless 100% bonuses

The thing that worries me is 17m might not seem high now but what’s it going to be next year or the year after? We saw with Sandaza’s contract he was rising a good few grand each season with promotion increases ect..

It would be daft to think he is the only one... we will have Law, Templeton, Sheils, Daly ect all receiving the same kind of things so that 17m will shoot right up and we will also need to add better players if we are planning to compete against the scum.

I just think we should have been spending the bare minimum just now and last year then save the rest for when we will need it, I honestly think we have been throwing money away needlessly because we didn’t make a long term plan.

Aye

Ill admit I use words like that as a general negative I don't think too deep about if someone else considers it on a par with Celtic covering up child abuse like you said

Our wage bill is minging but the good thing is we are solvent, in no real immediate danger and no ones stole or got a claim on anything other than mindless 100% bonuses

(tu)

I can't argue with that mate, the only positive is the wage bill will look better when our income is higher, and numbers like 93% of turnover can be used to terrify fans.

Our turnover will greatly increase, and the wages are about to come down a bit, with the management taking cuts, and BS waiving his right to his bonus in the future.

The thing that worries me is 17m might not seem high now but what's it going to be next year or the year after? We saw with Sandaza's contract he was rising a good few grand each season with promotion increases ect..

It would be daft to think he is the only one... we will have Law, Templeton, Sheils, Daly ect all receiving the same kind of things so that 17m will shoot right up and we will also need to add better players if we are planning to compete against the scum.

I just think we should have been spending the bare minimum just now and last year then save the rest for when we will need it, I honestly think we have been throwing money away needlessly because we didn't make a long term plan.

I think the wage increases for players will directly relate to our increased income through the years mate.

McCulloch renegotiated im sure mate.

Took a fairly hefty reduction if i remember correctly.

I remember a wage cut but I`m not sure how much and it was also for a longer deal. didn`t think it came out. If its more than £7K / week it has to be cut. Only reason I say £7k is because he`s captain and has done well for us.

The wage bill may seem silly for this level of football but the team being created this season will be the one to push us up the 'championship' next season back to our rightful place and when we get back to the top league we need a team that can compete. If we don't build that team now we won't be able to challenge for the top of the league & European football.

It does look like some money has been paid out that should have been avoided but the main thing is keeping the club afloat until we are back on top.

I agree with the gist of it being not as bad as some folk think

But an annual wage bill of 17 million for the bottom of Scottish football is an absolute disgrace

The big disgrace is that most of that wage comes from outside the players.

Still reading through the accounts and only heard the Brian S interview once so still mulling over the key points but a couple of points to consider:

• The early decision not to go for a redundancy programme to force the wage bill down means that potentially sizeable savings are being foregone. On the one hand good news for the staff and it seeks to preserve an experienced skillbase to make a transition back to competing at the top levels easier. On the other hand would a reduction programme really materially prejudice the effectiveness of the Club to operate at optimum levels at that time or to incur more costs than would have been the case had a tougher savings programme been implemented? That is of course a matter of judgement and the Directors appear to have taken the view of seeking to run the non-playing staffing infrastructure on a basis that is substantially what would be needed as if we were still in the top league. That places quite an onus on the Directors and the Manager and the team to deliver a return to the top in the fastest timescale as any trip up would raise again the wisdom of not going for deeper cuts. With no COO being appointed to replace Craig Mather in that role it begs the question as to what is being lost by not having that role or is Craig Mather really doing 2 jobs - CEO and COO. The Commercial Director post has also not been replaced (I think). I'm not clear who is taking that vital role as the person who lives and breathes to generate the best possible income streams for the Club. Is Craig Mather effecively doing all 3 jobs I wonder. Of course by not filling these 2 vacancies there are consequential salary and employment cost savings;
  • Brian S talked more than once about the need for future investment. That is a topic that I suspect we are all going to have to consider much more deeply over the next year. I still retain the view that it will take serious money to propel Rangers back to being more than competitive in the top league and to be competitive in european competitions when we get back to that level. Waiting until nearer that time to get going on that front does not seem sensible to me - I'd prefer to see work being done as soon as possible to generate surplus income of substance to fund that football ambition. Maybe that subject could be worth a few threads to generate discussion on the options ahead of an AGM.