*** Official 2013/4 Winter Ashes Thread ***

Creampuff

Stumps on day 1 Aus 273 for 8. Only the 114 run partnership between Haddin and Johnson taking the shine off what was certainly England's day.

Star man, Broad with figures 20 3 65 5

For the most part, though, I'd say it was poor batting from Aus, rather than outstanding bowling from England. There will be several batsmen disappointed wih the way they got out.

To be honest, 350 is probably a competitive score, and it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that Australia make that. The problem is that Lyon doesn't know what end of the bat to hold, so Harris will need to stick around and hope Haddin can get past his century.

Intriguing first day.

To be honest, 350 is probably a competitive score, and it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that Australia make that. The problem is that Lyon doesn't know what end of the bat to hold, so Harris will need to stick around and hope Haddin can get past his century.

Intriguing first day.

Can't see that, tbh. I fully expect England to wrap it up within 10 overs tonight and doubt the score will pass 300. The ball is still newish so should do a bit. I can see a massive 1st innings lead coming, as the forecast is for glorious batting conditions.

Can't see that, tbh. I fully expect England to wrap it up within 10 overs tonight and doubt the score will pass 300. The ball is still newish so should do a bit. I can see a massive 1st innings lead coming, as the forecast is for glorious batting conditions.

Why is that England can take two wickets in ten overs with a new-ish ball - yet Australia won't be able to stop England batting forever immediately after? :lol:.

The only thing the weather changes is making the ball harder to swing, and Australian seamers don't generally rely too much on swinging the ball anyway. If Harris, Johnson and Siddle bowl in the right areas, they'll take wickets just like Broad and Anderson have.

Why is that England can take two wickets in ten overs with a new-ish ball - yet Australia won't be able to stop England batting forever immediately after? :lol:.

Because England have a far better batting lineup to start with, and only need to get two tailenders out (or to be fair to Harris, one lower order bat and one rabbit)

Have you seen the Aussie wickets? If so, would you agree that at least 5 of them were poor dismissals from the batsman's point of view?

I cannot see that many English wickets being thrown away cheaply.

Because England have a far better batting lineup to start with, and only need to get two tailenders out (or to be fair to Harris, one lower order bat and one rabbit)

Have you seen the Aussie wickets? If so, would you agree that at least 5 of them were poor dismissals from the batsman's point of view?

I cannot see that many English wickets being thrown away cheaply.

At least five dismissals are poor from the batsmen's point of view in most matches. I also think for large spells England have been pretty poor with the ball. They aren't making things happen.

If Siddle, Johnson and Harris bowl well, and Watson grabs his usual occasional wicket, England won't reach 350. Big ifs, but 350 is always a competitive score, and there's no reason Australia can't make it/near it.

At least five dismissals are poor from the batsmen's point of view in most matches. I also think for large spells England have been pretty poor with the ball. They aren't making things happen.

If Siddle, Johnson and Harris bowl well, and Watson grabs his usual occasional wicket, England won't reach 350. Big ifs, but 350 is always a competitive score, and there's no reason Australia can't make it/near it.

It's all ifs and buts, really, as anything could still happen. Obviously we'll have a better idea of what a par score is after both sides have batted. One thing I can tell you with certainty, though, is that, at this stage, I wouldn't switch positions with the Aussies

It's all ifs and buts, really, as anything could still happen. Obviously we'll have a better idea of what a par score is after both sides have batted. One thing I can tell you with certainty, though, is that, at this stage, I wouldn't switch positions with the Aussies

Absolutely.

England could make 500+ or be all out for 150. At this stage it's absolutely adv England, but probably not as big an advantage as they should have had. That Haddin-Johnson partnership was something they absolutely could have done without.

Last night, thankfully was possibly the quietest nightshift ever, so I saw every ball!

And Swann deserves a medal for his efforts yesterday, bravo!

Swann done very well yesterday.

I think Cook only used him to rest the seamers, but he had to be on the money otherwise he'd bleed runs. But he kept it tight, and consistently got the line and length right.

Day off tomorrow so going to attempt an all-nighter. Beers in the fridge, Test starting to take shape. :D

England won't like to be bowling after an hour. Don't see the Oz tail wagging long anyway.

Really interested to see how Carberry goes. Could be the dark horse of the series...is that racist? :unsure:

Day off tomorrow so going to attempt an all-nighter. Beers in the fridge, Test starting to take shape. :D

England won't like to be bowling after an hour. Don't see the Oz tail wagging long anyway.

Really interested to see how Carberry goes. Could be the dark horse of the series...is that racist? :unsure:

Harris can hit it a little. Lyon is on the ropes from ball one.

Basically the Aussie score will only be improved by Haddin from here.