The Minority Report

Bad Robot

I write this in regards to the changing religious demographics within Scotland and in particularly Glasgow and the effect this is happening on our club. I write mainly about Glasgow as I believe we are the epicentre of Scottish football and home to Scotland’s most successful club, The Rangers.

Glasgow is also home to another club who are Scotland’s secret shame with a history of abuse and cover ups on all fronts but taking both clubs together we have one of the greatest, oldest and most passionate club games in the world and in most parts, this is down to religion.

Rangers are a club of many faiths but our heritage and fan base are mainly Protestant and I make no apologies for that and hope it stays that way a long time after I’m gone.

Glasgow is the home of football and also home to both Scottish football associations, being the SFA and more recently the newly formed and highly controversial SFPL. Football in this city has been and always will be one of the main talking points amongst the city’s 593,245 residents.

Scotland as a whole has approximately 5, 295,403 residents (2011 Census) and within this figure 32.4% (1,717,871) of the population declared themselves as members of the Church of Scotland (COS) with 15.9% declaring themselves as Roman Catholic (841,053).

To put this in perspective, the 2001 census states that 42.2% (2,146,251) of the population were COS compared to 15.88% (803,732) who said they were RC.

Within a ten year period, the COS have lost around 20% (428,380) of their flock with the RC church increasing around 5% (38,237) across Scotland. Who says religious schools don’t work and maybe it’s time for the COS to put this back on the table.

In Glasgow there is a different picture and the city being the largest populated in Scotland naturally takes the lead in all things Scottish which includes the Media, Government, Judiciary, Banking, Industry, Sports and Education to name but a few.

One question our fans keep asking is why is there so much of an imbalance within all these areas especially as there is around a RC minority of around 16%. This myth keeps getting perpetuated and I believe this is giving us a head in the sand mentality.

Yes, they are a minority overall in Scotland but in Glasgow it is far from the truth and I do believe there has been a concerted effort from persons of the RC religion to destroy our club and this has come from all areas within our society within the last two years.

In Glasgow the 2001 census states that the city had approximately 171,700 people declaring themselves as COS with around 168,896 declaring themselves as RC. A mere difference of around 3000 in favour of the COS.

The 2011 census now has 137,039 persons declaring themselves as COS with around 161,9955 as RC. There is now 24,000 more RC’s in Glasgow than there are COS and across Scotland this figure is growing.

As seen all across the world and through the passage of time this religion gets itself into power and then abuses that power.

I simply believe our club have been the target of this abuse of power and it stems from the one religion and for the most from one club.

I need to say that I no longer fear for our club as I believe we are on our way back and we will have our vengeance on the park as the cream always rises.

However, I do fear for our country as we are slowly but surely being infected by this parasitic religion. A religion where no one thinks for themselves and this cannot be good for the long term good of our country.

John Knox would be appalled the way we seem to be capitulating while the leaders of the COS do or say nothing. The great man is currently buried under a car parking space and maybe that tells its own story.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to take away from the well written OP, but I always thought John Knox was interred in Edinburgh, St Giles?

I sincerely hope that the graveyard in which one of the most important figures in Scottish history is buried has not been turned into anything other than its original purpose?

On the subject, I myself am more worried about the amount of people falling away from their COS roots. That is something the Kirk must address, but I think a major factor on this is the way protestant culture gets eroded away without challenge.

Saddens me that no one is able to speak out, in saying that I can only imagine the way some people, especially in the media, would portray a man like Pastor Jack Glass if he was here today.

Not to take away from the well written OP, but I always thought John Knox was interred in Edinburgh, St Giles?

I sincerely hope that the graveyard in which one of the most important figures in Scottish history is buried has not been turned into anything other than its original purpose?

On the subject, I myself am more worried about the amount of people falling away from their COS roots. That is something the Kirk must address, but I think a major factor on this is the way protestant culture gets eroded away without challenge.

Saddens me that no one is able to speak out, in saying that I can only imagine the way some people, especially in the media, would portray a man like Pastor Jack Glass if he was here today.

And further schisms ahead with the gay minister appointments.

It's the car park of St Giles and although John Knox would have no issue with this I think it is a great disservice to him. I can't understand why the COS and the LOL has allowed this to happen.

They are brainwashed to go forth and multiply and have done that everywhere they have settled.

I believe the COS will be forced to close all doors within the next decade or two. I attend church every Sunday but you would lucky if 50 people attend and 95% of them well over 60. My family of 4 are one of only 2 young families who attend weekly. My minister told me 75% of his overall offering came from only 6 people from the congregation and he has already buried 4 of them. We are a parish who supply funds for other smaller churches around the area but we are having to sell our manse and a couple of smaller buildings which belong to the church to raise funds now.

That old ditty of soon there will be no Protestants has never been more appropriate than it is now in 21st century Scotland. People are simply not interested in our religion any more. It's dying out.

It's the car park of St Giles and although John Knox would have no issue with this I think it is a great disservice to him. I can't understand why the COS and the LOL has allowed this to happen.

Never knew that was a car park, that's an absolute disgrace.

Unfortunately I don't know what could now be done to, in part, correct this.

And further schisms ahead with the gay minister appointments.

Definitely D'Art.

I fear a lot of the congregations will reluctantly split to another Presbyterian denomination in the wake of this.

On a lesser note, there a lot of BB companies now shut down around Lanarkshire which is a great shame that not enough young people have the opportunity due to declining numbers.

Definitely D'Art.

I fear a lot of the congregations will reluctantly split to another Presbyterian denomination in the wake of this.

On a lesser note, there a lot of BB companies now shut down around Lanarkshire which is a great shame that not enough young people have the opportunity due to declining numbers.

I actually think this may be a death knell for COS - but not necessarily for Protestantism in Scotland. The more fundamentalist churches will split from COS and be more evangelical in nature and character,

Don't tell me that's John Knox's final resting place?

That's sickening. The complete disregard for someone who led the reformation and formed values of the country we have today and they keep a plain plaque on the ground but spray the numbers of the parking space on it?

Disgusting.

I really don't know what could be done, but something must happen instead of disrespecting the final resting place of someone as important in our history.

In a way I'm glad I now know, worth contacting certain people to see if anything could be done.

I actually think this may be a death knell for COS - but not necessarily for Protestantism in Scotland. The more fundamentalist churches will split from COS and be more evangelical in nature and character,

Exactly as I see it (tu)

Should never come to this though, we need a strong Kirk and not a fragmented congregation spread across different branches of our religion.

Don't tell me that's John Knox's final resting place?

That's sickening. The complete disregard for someone who led the reformation and formed values of the country we have today and they keep a plain plaque on the ground but spray the numbers of the parking space on it?

Disgusting.

I really don't know what could be done, but something must happen instead of disrespecting the final resting place of someone as important in our history.

In a way I'm glad I now know, worth contacting certain people to see if anything could be done.

Catholics are hell bent on eradicating every trace of Protestantism. They are playing a blinder.

Exactly as I see it (tu)

Should never come to this though, we need a strong Kirk and not a fragmented congregation spread across different branches of our religion.

I have nothing against homosexuals but really cannot understand the church stance on this - its watering down scripture and giving into the promiscuity of the modern age.

:lol: :lol:

All religion is bumpkin - and secularism is more popular than any religion - it's why we best embrace the club without any add-ons.

Besides it's all about the football !

In your eyes, maybe. But you could afford a bit of understanding for those within the same fan base, majority actually as I see it, who do care for these matters.

Your entitled to your opinion and I wouldn't challenge that, but surely you could show some respect for fellow fans who do hold these ideals?

As a descendant of Covenanters,I find this disturbing,to say the least.While I'm no Bible thumper,I do think it's right that we as parents pass on our beliefs to our young but it seems in the modern world there are far to many distractions for the young to give any time to the Church.Perhaps the growth of RC's in Scotland/Glasgow is more to do with their plastic belief in their Irishness,which is strange given that 'Chapel' membership has fallen year on year in the ROI for decades and to an extent in NI aswell.Looking at the OP's figures,it seems to me that approximately 50% of Glasgows population has stopped attending any Church,sadly,from my point of view.So would they consider themselves Protestant Atheists or RC Atheists?....wee bit of fun :) .