Jim Sinclair

cameron1873

Is opinion changing on this guy?

My understanding was that the majority on here hold the opinion that this guy is a waste of space and is only in his job because he is Allys mate. However, it seems opinion must be shifting as in near enough every thread you will find people mentioning that Ally is not giving all our exciting youth players a chance. Something does not seem to add up as nobody would just be using the youth player argument against McCoist just because they don't like the guy as a manager :pipe: .

If you look at the facts it is arguable that he seems to be providing results.

Sinclair joined us in 2006, however, imo someone in his position cannot be truly judged until 5+ years into the job as this gives him enough time to implement his ideas and then see the fruit of his labour. But lets be critical and say all players coming through from 2010 onwards have played under his methods long enough to have an influence on them. That would include players such as Jamie Ness, Rhys McCabe, Barrie Mckay, Lewis Macleod, Fraser Aird, Robbie Crawford and Danny Wilson(made debut in 2009 but would of been 14 when Sinclair joined which I feel is young enough for him to have an influence on thats why I have included him). The names in bold are the ones that I feel were/are players that were/are good enough to developed into really good players. That works out at about 1 player a year which is a very good ratio. I think most clubs would try and aim for that or at least 1 player of decent quality every 2 years.

What about future prospects that people seem to demand are giving there chance because of there promising performances in the u20's. Players like Tom Walsh, Luca Gasparotto, Danny Stoney, Andrew Murdoch, Greg Pascazio, Charlie Telfer and probably a few more. Out of them I expect 1 or 2 to make a real push for the 1st team and hopefully make it. Add into that with comments from people like Neil Warnock that said our u14s (I think it was that age group) are some of the best he has seen in the UK the future does seem to be quite promising .

Obviously there are things we need to still improve on but is Jim Sinclair really as bad as made out?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When did McKay, Aird and Crawford become young superstars anyway? they're depressingly average (at this stage in their development at least)

I totally agree but I included them as they have made it into the 1st team.

But that is why I highlighted the players in bold that I felt were and in Macleods case are good enough. Still works out at a ratio one a year which is good

Barrie McKay is not a product of the Rangers youth system. He was released at 16 by Killie due to hip problems.

Exactly, joining us in 2011 as did Aird, so no great claim can be made for either being products of the system.

We do seem to have a lot of promising players in the youth and under 20,s but we have said that for decades and very few have become first team regulars with us.Teams like Southampton and Dundee Utd have a reputation, like Aberdeen in the 80,s, for bringing through youngsters but they actually let them play for the first team at an early age.

We,like Celtic, should have the pick of young talent and have the best facilities yet neither clubs have a great record in the last 30 years of developing youngsters who go on to reguarly star for their first team.

I would think that we should be introducing at least one youngster as a first team regular every season.

I am old enough to remember 16 and 17 year old players coming into the first team and becoming stars and the 16 and 17 year old kids nowadays have better nutrition, strength and healthcare than these guys.

Maybe if they were given a run of games we could judge them better

See tbh I'm actually with McCoist on this one. Just being young doesn't give you extended game time if you don't look the part.

Too many people assume our kids are the Barcelona B or Argentine international U20's or something

I totally agree but I included them as they have made it into the 1st team.

But that is why I highlighted the players in bold that I felt were and in Macleods case are good enough. Still works out at a ratio one a year which is good

But to flip it again, it's not down to Sinclair that we are in the position we are in and they have had to get game time. Under any other circumstances they would be playing at Shrewsbury and Leyton Orient

One thing for sure if we don't play the kids at this level there is little chance of us playing them in 2 years time

I don't want them playing in two years time. I want solid, ready made, talented pro's who are winners and will get us our SPL title back. They are out there, but they aren't any of the youths on our books from what I've seen.

Some if them have looked the part only to be dropped the following week.

Lewis Macleod apart, none of them have had an extended run

Some if them have looked the part only to be dropped the following week.

Lewis Macleod apart, none of them have had an extended run

What ones apart from Macleod do you think has looked the part.

If it is the players in the u20s have you seen them live. The players in the u20's I imagine will be given a chance in the second half of the season with the plan of finding the best ones for the championship next year

What ones apart from Macleod do you think has looked the part.

If it is the players in the u20s have you seen them live. The players in the u20's I imagine will be given a chance in the second half of the season with the plan of finding the best ones for the championship next year

I like the boy Aird for a start and would like to have seen him getting a run of a few games

Is opinion changing on this guy?

My understanding was that the majority on here hold the opinion that this guy is a waste of space and is only in his job because he is Allys mate. However, it seems opinion must be shifting as in near enough every thread you will find people mentioning that Ally is not giving all our exciting youth players a chance. Something does not seem to add up as nobody would just be using the youth player argument against McCoist just because they don't like the guy as a manager :pipe: .

If you look at the facts it is arguable that he seems to be providing results.

Sinclair joined us in 2006, however, imo someone in his position cannot be truly judged until 5+ years into the job as this gives him enough time to implement his ideas and then see the fruit of his labour. But lets be critical and say all players coming through from 2010 onwards have played under his methods long enough to have an influence on them. That would include players such as Jamie Ness, Rhys McCabe, Barrie Mckay, Lewis Macleod, Fraser Aird, Robbie Crawford and Danny Wilson(made debut in 2009 but would of been 14 when Sinclair joined which I feel is young enough for him to have an influence on thats why I have included him). The names in bold are the ones that I feel were/are players that were/are good enough to developed into really good players. That works out at about 1 player a year which is a very good ratio. I think most clubs would try and aim for that or at least 1 player of decent quality every 2 years.

What about future prospects that people seem to demand are giving there chance because of there promising performances in the u20's. Players like Tom Walsh, Luca Gasparotto, Danny Stoney, Andrew Murdoch, Greg Pascazio, Charlie Telfer and probably a few more. Out of them I expect 1 or 2 to make a real push for the 1st team and hopefully make it. Add into that with comments from people like Neil Warnock that said our u14s (I think it was that age group) are some of the best he has seen in the UK the future does seem to be quite promising .

Obviously there are things we need to still improve on but is Jim Sinclair really as bad as made out?

To some posters everything we do, every coach we have, every player we have is pish ! It is often hard to get any real perspective in here as two or three folks posting multiple times about our perceived failings tends to skew perception.

You make some great points - also Ally ( despite perception) has played a good number of kids - often

Thinks ain't as gloomy as a few would like!

Well it looks like sinclair is doing his job. Its the integration from youth to senior level that is proving more difficult than it should be especially as leagues economic climate is dire. We should embrace all youth players cos lets face it- everyone is crying out for a 5 yr plan, but too many of the old guard want short expensive fix rather than a cheap longer term full on repair.

Maybe the young lads dont get fully accepted into the squad by certain players. They may see it as a threat to their places in the team

But to flip it again, it's not down to Sinclair that we are in the position we are in and they have had to get game time. Under any other circumstances they would be playing at Shrewsbury and Leyton Orient

I agree and at times I wonder if some of them like crawford are good enough to play for us at this level.

But as I said I have not included them in the players that make up the 1 player every year ratio