7 years ago yesterday - Walters 2nd spell began.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you feel when you heard the news? Disappointed in how the PLG reign ended? Happy that Walter was returning? Underwhelmed by a 'backward step'? Worried for the future?

I think my feelings at the time can be summed up in one word - relief.

If anyone could have sorted out the mess we were in, it was Smith, which he did. In no time at all.

I was slightly underwhelmed but he's the greatest in my lifetime, I fucking love the guy :crywank:

Rangers 1 st mirren 0 league cup final sums everything up about him and his teams. It's a never say die attitude and his teams play like they would die for him.

To me Walter is everything a ranger should be and probably as close to a struth as many of us will ever see.

How did you feel when you heard the news? Disappointed in how the PLG reign ended? Happy that Walter was returning? Underwhelmed by a 'backward step'? Worried for the future?

I think my feelings at the time can be summed up in one word - relief.

Being slightly pedantic, it was 7 years and 4 days ago. :ph34r:

I felt excited, knew all about him obviously but with my age I wasn't really involved during his first spell, so I never thought i'd get to see a Rangers team managed by Walter Smith.

Christ I got you wrong mate..........Thought you were an Auld yin like me :lol:

I'd imagine everyone felt relieved at first them returned to moaning about the gaffer's style within 6 months.

Walter had us play some exciting football especially in the Miller/Boyd era.

It was in the bigger European games we were dire to watch.

Yep, relief pretty much sums it up. I think such a reaction just goes to show how much faith many of us had in him that, even though he's wasn't perfect, he'd get it right when it mattered.

I felt we had missed an oppertunity with PLG - but I felt he let himself down by underestimating Scottish Football and not doing his homework.

(tu)

It was arrogance on his part in my opinion. He felt he was Billy big boots and didnt need to understand things before he came. Pity really. (tu)

I was glad when Walter Smith came back as PLG's style just didn't work for us and I'm not sure it would have ever done so, no matter how much time he was given.

I got the feeling it was a case of too much too quickly with Le Guen. That and the fall out with the players and constant praise of the team after poor defeats. However, he seemed to be trying to change the things that in other European countries they'd changed long ago like nutrition, diet and fitness. We performed admirably in Europe that season which was a contrast to the league.