The rangers report - ....the ideology that fails rangers....

scarkev

We need to cut loose the logical fallacies when diagnosing the state of the team. The article addresses the all or nothing fallacy that is constantly used in an attempt to excuse sub-par performances, i.e. if we can't be like Barcelona then we must accept insipid football. There is clearly a very large grey area in between, and we have the players to be doing better than what we are on a weekly basis.

In short I suspect that Ally will be going nowhere as long as the results are favourable, so I refuse to contribute to the negativity; however, just because we back the boss does not mean that expectations and standards should be allowed to drop. Next season will either be a tougher challenge, or a dress rehearsal for the final phase: tackling the summit, and we simply must be ready both on and off the field. I just hope we can all pull together and make this work.

We need to cut loose the logical fallacies when diagnosing the state of the team. The article addresses the all or nothing fallacy that is constantly used in an attempt to excuse sub-par performances, i.e. if we can't be like Barcelona then we must accept insipid football. There is clearly a very large grey area in between, and we have the players to be doing better than what we are on a weekly basis.

In short I suspect that Ally will be going nowhere as long as the results are favourable, so I refuse to contribute to the negativity; however, just because we back the boss does not mean that expectations and standards should be allowed to drop. Next season will either be a tougher challenge, or a dress rehearsal for the final phase: tackling the summit, and we simply must be ready both on and off the field. I just hope we can all pull together and make this work.

I don't think anyone is actually doing that.

What did I miss?

The part where I validated the idea of utilising younger players and developing a long term improved philosophy of by rightly pointing out at this level the results will still come.....in fact they may come easier if we stop playing into the oppositions strengths....

I don't think anyone is actually doing that.

a few are, and a few are claiming that playing young players would never have worked given how hard its been for the seasoned pros in our team, meanwhile forgetting that the young players have arguably been better than the old pros this season

The must win attitude helped us secure world records. But, you think it will 'set the club back'?

As the article points out, the win at all costs mentality of the club is a good thing, however, right now, the must win attitude has led us to squander money on players like Sandaza, Kyle, Peralta, Cribari etc, and unwilling to blood in more young players and unwilling to try a more expansive style of football. Instead, we are being told to accept that squeezing past poor teams by playing ugly football is good enough. So yes, despite winning the two part time leagues in Scotland, a desire to get the result and not worry about anything else is setting the club back.

Zonal marking yer having a laugh, have wee look how pop corn teeth got on in C/L at home to Milan and away to Barca using it, remember watching Glen Hoddle totally rip them to bits, sorry not for me, 1 does the writer have any coaching qualifications, 2 how many years has he played, coached or managed a team

Anyway got to go, got a championship winning team to support, championees, championees o wee are wee are wee

What absolute claptrap. Football is a sport understood by millions of folk across the world. Not everyone had the talent to play but of course non playing or coaching can grasp it and embrce ideas. Most footballers never make it and thus many folk will choose another career. What use has playing and managing been to McCoist he doesn't have a clue. Football is a sport.

To paraphrase the OP's article Winning is a tradition to uphold in the top flight, McCoist would have a strong case for that, but here, in the doldrums of League One and against the likes of Albion Rovers, it is absolutely the wrong course for Rangers. If you consider this carefully you could argue that because returning to the top flight is the most critically important thing for Rangers right now, and always, including getting to cup finals, then it is absolutely right for Rangers to grind out wins at any cost.

We want to see better football of course. We could rest a few boys. We could bring in some fresh players. But these are luxuries not available to Rangers at the present time.

The part where I validated the idea of utilising younger players and developing a long term improved philosophy of by rightly pointing out at this level the results will still come.....in fact they may come easier if we stop playing into the oppositions strengths....

I didn't miss that at all. I did point out the basic flaw that undermined your whole idea - that we could accept poor results.

What absolute claptrap. Football is a sport understood by millions of folk across the world. Not everyone had the talent to play but of course non playing or coaching can grasp it and embrce ideas. Most footballers never make it and thus many folk will choose another career. What use has playing and managing been to McCoist he doesn't have a clue. Football is a sport.

Are you saying that a knowledge of either coaching or playing is not required, can you tell me of any managers that have been successful without at least one of these qualifications, listen i totally get that every one of us fans are frustrated managers, coaches or players, we are all entitled to our opinion. At the end of the day that's all it is, an opinion, my point is this, if having no knowledge of playing or coaching was not that essential then why do so many back up their credentials by including these examples of experience like,big Eck being asked if he learn't from SAF, or Walter from Jim McLean and now Ally about Walter, even TLB about O'neill. I reckon I could put my motor through its MOT that doesn't make me a mechanic, because people with the proper qualifications and experience do.

The part in your post I highlighted probably means we are never going to be seeing any agreement any time soon, but like everyone else you are free to follow Rangers as you see fit, as am I, And for the record I don't like Zonal marking as I believe it takes a very long time to master it. That is why I highlighted the darkside, apparently according to Mr Hoddle this is not something you can just try and do for certain games and not for others, so I really don't think that while we are on our way back to the top we should be messing about with trying new defending techniques ( our priority should be to be promoted as champions )

You also mention that football is enjoyed by millions, you are right, but for me at Rangers at the moment, a section of our support have lost the whole ethos of why it is loved by so many, on any given day ANY team is capable of beating any other regardless of how much a team gets paid or the quality of the facilities, if this wasn't the case then the bookies would not be making so much money off the fixed odds coupons. I am in a very fortunate position that I am a Rangers fan and have been awarded with my fair share of incredible victories, also some unbelievable defeats ( especially last seasons Stirling Albion shocker ) thats the nature of this beautiful game. sorry if I am prattling on a bit, not long back fae the game and yous all know the score

CHAMPIONEES CHAMPIONEES :party::7325:

Yes, and my point is that with a 11-4-5 record (in the last 2 years), I think we can assume that the Prem teams also struggle to perform well against the same opposition we are up against. It is not as easy to perform well against the part time teams as suggested, for whatever reason (and I have my suspicions as to what those reasons are).

Have not seen anyone from the Ally out team answer that one, 11-4-5 will be filed away in my records and used.

To advocates of zonal marking, you only fix a problem if it's a problem, so stick yer zonal marking up your erchie.

Have not seen anyone from the Ally out team answer that one, 11-4-5 will be filed away in my records and used.

To advocates of zonal marking, you only fix a problem if it's a problem, so stick yer zonal marking up your erchie.

Not sure I get your point about the results of SPL teams against lower league opposition. Most critics of the team/Ally at the moment are suggesting that results alone are not the be all & end all as to how we should judge performance and your reposte is to highlight the results of other teams?

Stage 2 is complete on our journey back to the top and we have 1 player who you could state 100% would be part of an SPL title challenge!

Its frustrating but I think given the teams we play, our likely area of conceding a goal is from set pieces. Similarly, if our opposition go in front, they are likely to park the bus on us.

Makes sense to me to prevent conceding a goal from where our opposition is most likely to score.

Not sure I get your point about the results of SPL teams against lower league opposition. Most critics of the team/Ally at the moment are suggesting that results alone are not the be all & end all as to how we should judge performance and your reposte is to highlight the results of other teams?

Stage 2 is complete on our journey back to the top and we have 1 player who you could state 100% would be part of an SPL title challenge!

Might be slightly of topic, but I agree with the posters viewpoint, if it's ok to use stats against, it's ok to use stats for.

There are three transfer windows between us and the Premier kicking off, the team that kicks of then might only contain one player from the team that kicked off last night.

Its frustrating but I think given the teams we play, our likely area of conceding a goal is from set pieces. Similarly, if our opposition go in front, they are likely to park the bus on us.

Makes sense to me to prevent conceding a goal from where our opposition is most likely to score.

However I agree it makes it harder to watch, but if your playing the statistics game (which McCoist does), then this is where you'd focus to ensure you limit the opponents chance to score as much as possible.

My point IS partly about performances. So you think the Prem teams are playing well when they are getting a record of 11-4-5 against League 1/2 teams? I think it suggests they are not. I also think it suggests it's not so easy to play consistently well against these teams/pump them regularly. I also think it makes McCoists record look really good.