Would this current Rangers team beat 2005/06 & 2006/07?

kanjo

Wattereus v Bell

Ricksen v Foster

Ball v Wallace. Ok, I'll give you that one!

Kyrgiakos v Zaliuskas

Andrews v Moshni

Ferguson v Black. Ho ho ho ho ho ho

Buffel v Law

Rae v MacLeod

Prso v Miller

Novo v Daly

Averladze v Aird

Kanjo, mate, just have a look at each player in each position and give yourself a good shake.

Wattereus v Bell - I did not rate Ronald, but I'll give you that one for argument sakes.

Ricksen v Foster - Given

Ball v Wallace. Ok, I'll give you that one!

Kyrgiakos v Zaliuskas - Soto??? are you having a giraffe?

Andrews v Moshni - given

Ferguson v Black. Ho ho ho ho ho ho - Ferguson in his second spell was never the same and I'd dispute this one, but i'll give you it.

Buffel v Law - Buffel? the anonymous Belgiam? Law has not the world on fire here and to call one of these over the other is, imo, preference.

Rae v MacLeod - Macleod. Exactly what was Rae good for other than his winner against Hearts in 2007?

Prso v Miller - A tight contest. Miller scored more but Prso had a great first season with us and was a coup signing. I'm not giving you that though.

Novo v Daly - Given

Averladze v Aird - Given.

Now here's where my ideas come in. Your team above struggled to beat Clyde (at Ibrox) in normal time. Sufered two humilitating 3-0 gubbings to Hivs, finished third behind a Hearts team in meltdwon. did not even make a semi-final of the cups and went, in one case a full month without winning a single game. Are you telling me this current team would not score against the likes of Rodriguez or Fanfan? You are being cynical if you think otherwise.

I would accept that PLG's Rangers team is far more ambiouts even though I still think that team was weak at the back, but I do not accept at all that our current squad could not take the 05/06 team.

Give me Zaliukas, McGregor and McCulloch over any centre defenders we had that season (unless you've forgotten how soft we were then, especially with heading/clearing)

Give me Aird over an injury prone, constantly injured Burke.

Give me Law over an ever-hiding Buffel who's sole season highlight was his goal against Celtic.

Give me the Miller/Boyd partnership than that of the Boyd + anyone else partnership that season. Boyd carried us then, and he'd carry us now.

I respect you do not agree with me but I do not accept we'd not give them a game and possibly even win.

EDIT: Apologies for the spelling, babysitting at the same time.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what exactly is your basis of them beating 06/07s side if all they've playing in is friendlies.... You should really think before you post!

Historical performances? quality? There isn't much to think here unless you're telling me you had never heard of 3 of our 4 summer signings, and i'd question your footballing brain if you think 3 of them were not very good signings, not least for our level.

Historical performances? quality? There isn't much to think here unless you're telling me you had never heard of 3 of our 4 summer signings, and i'd question your footballing brain if you think 3 of them were not very good signings, not least for our level.

Historical performances of the new signings, yet you based the 05/06 team on less than a season of bad performances and happily forgot the good ones that season :lol:

Historical performances of the new signings, yet you based the 05/06 team on less than a season of bad performances and happily forgot the good ones that season :lol:

I'm not talking about the previous season, I'm talking about 2005/06.

I'm not saying the sqaud is good enough to win a league with Celtic, far from it...I am simply saying that the current squad would have been good enough to beat the Rangers teams who struggled in 2005/06, and to a lesser extent 2006/07.

No argument is convincing me otherwise and continuously being told i'm wrong without any explanation why dosen't change how i think. By all means if you disagree tell me, but if you can put reasonable arguments about it then I'd love to see it.

I'm not here to make any enemies either, I just wanted some thoughts, so don't take the wrong impression on me here folks.

And the historical performances of the side they'd be playing against?

Of our 4 signings 2 of them.have played at the highest level for Rangers and history would suggest the rest of out squad from the past 2 seasons has not been great. to turn it back on yourself I'd suggest id question your football brain if you reckon the nucleus of this current crop would come close to a side which had success domestically and in Europe.

I'm not saying the sqaud is good enough to win a league with Celtic, far from it...I am simply saying that the current squad would have been good enough to beat the Rangers teams who struggled in 2005/06, and to a lesser extent 2006/07.

No argument is convincing me otherwise and continuously being told i'm wrong without any explanation why dosen't change how i think. By all means if you disagree tell me, but if you can put reasonable arguments about it then I'd love to see it.

I'm not here to make any enemies either, I just wanted some thoughts, so don't take the wrong impression on me here folks.

I'm sorry but how can you say you won't look at the previous season but are taking historical performances of our new signings in to account?

The team you say struggled domestically i s true but you have missed out reaching the last 16 of the Champions League.

The vast majority of our current squad have been easily beaten by SPL sides when the Scottish game is at anall time low.

And the historical performances of the side they'd be playing against?

Of our 4 signings 2 of them.have played at the highest level for Rangers and history would suggest the rest of out squad from the past 2 seasons has not been great. to turn it back on yourself I'd suggest id question your football brain if you reckon the nucleus of this current crop would come close to a side which had success domestically and in Europe.

Zaliukas captained Hearts who were reasonably firm top 6, and also won them a SC.

Boyd and Miller being the other 2, both who which formed our best strike partnership since the mid 90s, is enough to make me believe that for goalscoring and defending, we would have been able to beat that team.

Zaliukas captained Hearts who were reasonably firm top 6, and also won them a SC.

Boyd and Miller being the other 2, both who which formed our best strike partnership since the mid 90s, is enough to make me believe that for goalscoring and defending, we would have been able to beat that team.

Against though your accepting their history but dismissing that of the 05/06 side.

You're also maybe looking at 4/5 years ago if you want to base it on where they are now I suggest it would be rather different and if fact recent history of the 3 players you've mentions shows (out with Boyd at Killie)that they haven't reached their previous high standards.

I'm in no way dismissing that they are better than what we have but they are not close to a side who reached the last 16 of the Champions League, or who just the previous season won a double. Our current crop would LOVE to have the success that the squad over those few years had.

Against though your accepting their history but dismissing that of the 05/06 side.

You're also maybe looking at 4/5 years ago if you want to base it on where they are now I suggest it would be rather different and if fact recent history of the 3 players you've mentions shows (out with Boyd at Killie)that they haven't reached their previous high standards.

I'm in no way dismissing that they are better than what we have but they are not close to a side who reached the last 16 of the Champions League, or who just the previous season won a double. Our current crop would LOVE to have the success that the squad over those few years had.

I'm not saying they are a side capable of last 16 of UCL, what I am saying though is they would be capable of doing what a lot of other SPL sides had done, as others point out, in a one off game which is really what i thought from the start and am (or have been) trying to justify.

I see your points, although I don't think we're going to agree.

I'm not saying they are a side capable of last 16 of UCL, what I am saying though is they would be capable of doing what a lot of other SPL sides had done, as others point out, in a one off game which is really what i thought from the start and am (or have been) trying to justify.

I see your points, although I don't think we're going to agree.

I don't think we will mate except that we do now have (potentially) a far better side, a proving point for me would be if we start to beat SPL clubs and perform more consistently.

And that team that season lost 7 matches in the league,not brilliant but not the worst....but finishing teams off was the main problem.

Yes strange question ....

Which side does Boyd play for? Love how you're implying that PLG had a better squad than the side that made the last 16 doh doh doh

Right so you're saying blacks better than ferguson , templeton better than Lovenkrands, bells better than klos ..... Away boil your head son :lol: still drunk ?

Fuck sake. Calm doon

you were the one that said this current team would beat the last team that eck had without backing it up, you mentioned the clyde game (which we won 5-2 after extra time) and mentioned something about other games you wish to forget

so debate your side, what makes you think the current team, made up of SPL rejects who couldnt win a cup populated by part time teams in TWO attempts, could beat a rangers team that wether you want to admit it or not, got to the last 16 of the CL

i'll debate mine, firstly the gaffers in charge, eck proved that he knew how to punch above his weight, ally so far is struggling to consistently dominate teams way below his,

the players we have, aside from boyd and miller would struggle to start for any top division side, past performances aside there wasnt much competition from the top division when we went to sign them, infact id say that Lee Wallace is our only pre summer player that would start for the top division side going by form in the last 2 years

The team of 05/06 had reached their end of their time together, they were also a team that had managed to win the SPL the season before and won the league cup

So i ask again, what did you see in the last season for us that makes you think boyd, miller, mcgregor and zaliukas would improve to boyond a point where they could beat a title winning side that managed the last 16 of the CL group stages

you were the one that said this current team would beat the last team that eck had without backing it up, you mentioned the clyde game (which we won 5-2 after extra time) and mentioned something about other games you wish to forget

so debate your side, what makes you think the current team, made up of SPL rejects who couldnt win a cup populated by part time teams in TWO attempts, could beat a rangers team that wether you want to admit it or not, got to the last 16 of the CL

i'll debate mine, firstly the gaffers in charge, eck proved that he knew how to punch above his weight, ally so far is struggling to consistently dominate teams way below his,

the players we have, aside from boyd and miller would struggle to start for any top division side, past performances aside there wasnt much competition from the top division when we went to sign them, infact id say that Lee Wallace is our only pre summer player that would start for the top division side going by form in the last 2 years

The team of 05/06 had reached their end of their time together, they were also a team that had managed to win the SPL the season before and won the league cup

So i ask again, what did you see in the last season for us that makes you think boyd, miller, mcgregor and zaliukas would improve to boyond a point where they could beat a title winning side that managed the last 16 of the CL group stages

I seen a team undefeated in league duty. I seen a team that conceded 16 goals and scored 100+.

I now look at Eck's team of 2005/06 and remind myself of the awful defenders we had (If you want, I can remind you of the amount of clean sheets we actually kept that season...). I also remember how awful we were up until Boyd signed, and even then Lovenkrands did not establish that great a partnership him with.

I'd disagre with your opinion on the players we have not starting in the top table. I'd actually call your bluff on that one if I didn't think you were serious, but that's your opinion.

I don't back Ally 100% but as a team and player for player, I am convinced that we'd be capable of beating 05/06.

Quick question though to add, do you support Rangers or have you always spoke so negatively about our club?

I seen a team undefeated in league duty. I seen a team that conceded 16 goals and scored 100+.

I now look at Eck's team of 2005/06 and remind myself of the awful defenders we had (If you want, I can remind you of the amount of clean sheets we actually kept that season...). I also remember how awful we were up until Boyd signed, and even then Lovenkrands did not establish that great a partnership him with.

I'd disagre with your opinion on the players we have not starting in the top table. I'd actually call your bluff on that one if I didn't think you were serious, but that's your opinion.

I don't back Ally 100% but as a team and player for player, I am convinced that we'd be capable of beating 05/06.

Quick question though to add, do you support Rangers or have you always spoke so negatively about our club?

i speak negatively, you have just degraded the first ever scottish team to make it past the CL group stages

and can i just say, you talk about our league record last season compared to eck's in his final season, can you point out 1 team last season in our division that spent as much as ANY SPL team would likely have done in ecks final season

as for my opinion on the players we have, i base it around their results against SPL opposition since they joined us and their performances

Zaliukas released from Leeds, experienced in SPL football yet not one team reportedly in for him, not even the hamiltons or dundees who are looking to simply stabilise in the SPL

Darren McGregor, part of a St Mirren defence that conceded 58 goals in the SPL last season, ecks final season we only conceded 37

Boyd and Miller ive already stated would start for most SPL sides

i speak negatively, you have just degraded the first ever scottish team to make it past the CL group stages

and can i just say, you talk about our league record last season compared to eck's in his final season, can you point out 1 team last season in our division that spent as much as ANY SPL team would likely have done in ecks final season

as for my opinion on the players we have, i base it around their results against SPL opposition since they joined us and their performances

Zaliukas released from Leeds, experienced in SPL football yet not one team reportedly in for him, not even the hamiltons or dundees who are looking to simply stabilise in the SPL

Darren McGregor, part of a St Mirren defence that conceded 58 goals in the SPL last season, ecks final season we only conceded 37

Boyd and Miller ive already stated would start for most SPL sides

I'm not here to argue about the league, I'm here to argue that the 2014/15 Rangers squad would be capable of beating the only Rangers team I can ever remember finishing 3rd in the top flight behind Celtic and Hearts.

Looking back, and looking at all the players we've signed, a vast majority had come from the SPL. I'm not sure where you're going with that one....but anyway.

I'm not here to argue about the league, I'm here to argue that the 2014/15 Rangers squad would be capable of beating the only Rangers team I can ever remember finishing 3rd in the top flight behind Celtic and Hearts.

Looking back, and looking at all the players we've signed, a vast majority had come from the SPL. I'm not sure where you're going with that one....but anyway.

what result in the last 2 seasons would make you think that?

out of curiosity

id also argue that the team in 05/06 would have cuffed the team from the 03/04 season who finished 2nd in the SPL, the hearts fluke season has tainted a lot of memories of that season

remember 2 seasons before when we lost all 6 OF games iirc