Would this current Rangers team beat 2005/06 & 2006/07?

kanjo

what result in the last 2 seasons would make you think that?

out of curiosity

I'm not referring to results. I think you are drifting from the point here. I am arguing that, hypothetically our current (not last year, not next year) team would have it within them to beat the worst top-flight Rangers team I have ever seen.

Continuously banging on about the UCL is fruitless because I am going to constantly remind you of our league finish that year.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id also argue that the team in 05/06 would have cuffed the team from the 03/04 season who finished 2nd in the SPL, the hearts fluke season has tainted a lot of memories of that season

remember 2 seasons before when we lost all 6 OF games iirc

Thanks for that (tu) anyway back on topic. Statisticaly and final finish of our squad from 2005/06 is the basis of my argument here. Fluke or not I am arguing that the current team for next season has it in them to beat that Rangers team. We're not going to agree to this, so i'll let you hold your opinion and i'll maintain mine.

I'm not referring to results. I think you are drifting from the point here. I am arguing that, hypothetically our current (not last year, not next year) team would have it within them to beat the worst top-flight Rangers team I have ever seen.

Continuously banging on about the UCL is fruitless because I am going to constantly remind you of our league finish that year.

so hypothetically, how did you come to your conclusion? you havent provided any evidence of why a team not playing in the SPL would beat a team playing in the SPL

if you arent referring to reults, what are you basing your argument on?

so hypothetically, how did you come to your conclusion? you havent provided any evidence of why a team not playing in the SPL would beat a team playing in the SPL

if you arent referring to reults, what are you basing your argument on?

On the basis of our incapability to keep clean sheets, score goals and, Boyd aside sign one valuable player who would go on to be successful for Rangers.

I'd think that comparing that team to a squad that hasen't kicked a ball in anger would suggest that I'm arguing on hypotheticals here, such as signing one of (if not their best) centre half and re-signing our best strikers since the mid 90s.

As i have already now said, We are not going to agree so instead of going around in circles, i'd suggest we stop wasting each others time.

The 05/06 team would beat this current mob hands down over the course of a Season in my opinion, it had a far higher standard of player and a far higher standard of coach.

its almost impossible to argue or attempt to reason with Kanjo on this thread as he said he wont allow posters to use qualifying for the last 16 of the Champions League as an example or use past seasons when aeguing the merits of the standard of player we had that year either despite the fact he has to use past seasons when arguing for the merits of the 'new' players.

the outlook in the SPL was far different than it was now, Hearts had their best squad in 20 years, if they hadn't sacked George Burley after 10 games, 9 wins and a draw I'd say they could have won the title that year, Hibs had their best side in my lifetime, the boys they brought through where beginning to peak, possibly the best footballing side in the Country at that point and the Tims had a team that boasted Nakamura, Petrov, Roy Keane, Boruc, Balde, Hartson and Maloney (who won Big & Young PotY that season IIRC)

Finishing third was poor, no excuses what so ever, despite how strong Hearts and Hibs were that year it was poor however I think after we knew we'd never catch Celtic the players phoned it in, McLeish knew he was going to and so did all the players so I'm unsure whether they'd go that extra mile for him when they knew he'd be well put the door before him or that they'd be off now he wasnt going to be there to keep them around.

A lot of players in that team threw the towel in andz because of the quality of the opposition we got severely punished for it, thats why we finiahed 3rd...our current team wouldn't best the Hobs youngsters from that year let alone that powerful Hearts team and in my opinion wouldn't beat that Rangers team either

The current and the past teams mentioned are all basically the weakest teams for us over the last quarter century. Partly weaker players, partly good players not playing to their potential. Also there is and has been the problem of good players not playing well as a team, lack of motivation and tactical question marks. It's an interesting question in the OP and one that is not so straightforward as all of these teams have lacked confidence at different times.

Over ten games you'd expect eck's or plg's to come out on top but I don't think it'd be a walkover. The main thing the current team lacks is consistently good enough opposition to help them gel as a decent team. As individuals, most have plenty of success with SPL clubs but as a team they have not worked together against SPL quality opposition often.

Over ten games I'd expect the current team to lose the first two or three then grab a couple of draws and a win or two from the remaining games.

The current team has achieved consecutive league wins and gone through unbeaten league campaigns. The over rated Barcelona 72 squad never achieved either.

Players such as Jardine, Greig, McKinnon and Stein not fit to to lace the boots of the likes of Foster, Smith, Cribari and Daly.

Strange question to ask, I know.. But an interesting one I'd say.

I think this current team is better than 05/06 overall. I'd say it would have potential to beat PLG's Team also.

That said it also makes me think just how much it'd take to be consistent and challenge.

Strange question to ask i know but I found it interesting.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,

. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,

. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,

. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,

. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}

. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}

. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./

. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./

. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./

. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/

. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}

. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../

. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../

. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”

. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\

. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__

,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,

. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\

i personally think this rangers team would beat most past rangers teams. i mean how old are albertz, amo, gio, klos etc these days :000000082:

mind you i'd still give mols a game in our current team

van Bronckhorst could still probably single handedley run this current team ragged :(

The current team has achieved consecutive league wins and gone through unbeaten league campaigns. The over rated Barcelona 72 squad never achieved either.

Players such as Jardine, Greig, McKinnon and Stein not fit to to lace the boots of the likes of Foster, Smith, Cribari and Daly.

:lol:

Strange question to ask, I know.. But an interesting one I'd say.

I think this current team is better than 05/06 overall. I'd say it would have potential to beat PLG's Team also.

That said it also makes me think just how much it'd take to be consistent and challenge.

Strange question to ask i know but I found it interesting.

Put down the crack my friend.

Le Guen tried (and ultimately failed) to change our footballing philosophy and our players attitude to drinking and eating. It back fired as he lost the dressing room as he wouldn't tolerate a "lads" atmosphere.

On the contrary though, the passing and new tactics where very pleasing to watch, albeit the results where not always the best. Still, better than the "hump the baw up the park".

Fast forward 10 years and now here we are, "progressing" with long ball after long ball. Embarrassing "tactics" and semi professional teams confident of getting a result against us as we are that predictable.

This is by far the worst team and tactically inept manager in our history.

Not a chance we would beat any Rangers team of the past.But a wee bit of concillation is that the current mhanky mhob wouldn`t beat their previous teams either. They have their worst team in decades. The media aren`t reporting the facts that they are skint and having to sell ALL their players.

Who is left for them to sell once the keeper is gone ? They are in huge trouble if they don`t get to the CL group stages.Wonder why the mhedia aren`t reporting the ST sales from them ? Who do you think will sell more ST`s ?