Summer Transfers

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a controversial one here and not a move that I'm actually advocating (I'm just putting it out there for debate) but would anybody take Rhys McCabe back?

It's not worked for him in England but he's still only 22 and he didn't look out of place when he broke through for us playing with and against players far better than what we have or face just now.

Fraser Fyvie and to a much greater extent Scott Allan, have shown that you can rebuild your career even if you have an ill advised and premature move South behind you.

Obviously he was one of the players who refused to transfer over and that blacklists him forever in some people's eyes, (mine included I'm still bitter and angry about what happened that Summer and I'm not ashamed to admit it) but in time people would forget what happened and deal with it, especially if he did well. The signing of Kenny Miller proves that.

Taking the situation out of it, I can barely remember how good he was. Aside from his performance in the OF, I can't remember any of his other displays.

Taking the situation out of it, I can barely remember how good he was. Aside from his performance in the OF, I can't remember any of his other displays.

I always preferred Thomas Kind-Bendiksen.

At Charlton

Anybody at Wigan who you think could do a job?

What's Billy McKay's future going to be? He's barely played since going there so do you think he was signed with one eye on league one or is he a player who they might look to offload now they've been relegated?

He'd be a great signing for us.

I always preferred Thomas Kind-Bendiksen.

I liked Bendiksen too. Was never really going to work because we struggle to fit in players who prefer the 'no 10' role.

We always just play them out wide, if you look at Adam, Bendiksen and to a lesser extent Shiels.

I would take Ness and McCabe back but they aren't what we're crying out for. We need experienced leaders, not young lads with questionable attitudes who have failed in England.

I think the two areas that we need experience in are the middle of the pitch and at centre half.

Not Lee McCulloch utility player type experience, players who have actually got a career of experience in their position and know it inside out.

A centre half who can command and organise a defence plus a midfielder who can hold the midfield together and keep the play ticking over which would then allow the younger, more "enthusiastic" and energetic players to go and play would give us a far better base to build a team around.

What's Billy McKay's future going to be? He's barely played since going there so do you think he was signed with one eye on league one or is he a player who they might look to offload now they've been relegated?

McKay and may upfront next season would be good.

For me, I don't think so. Wigan are a shocking football team who have really been killed off this year for me. Obviously they were going to lose the players who helped them push for promotion last year, McArthur, Jordi Gomez, Callum McManaman etc, but this year the squad is filled with players who haven't jelled.

Defensively they are about as bad as us, and that's without Caldwell even playing. Jason Pearce signed from Leeds and bet he was expecting a promotion push rather than relegation! Also Harry McGuire on loan from Hull who seemed to do a little better.

Anyway as far as some guys go, McKay, for example, I have a strange view on him which others will disagree on. Yes, he scored many goals for Inverness, and was a huge part of their rise in recent years, but is he a good footballer? Nope. He doesn't really have much to his game apart from being a penalty box striker, and he's been found out at Wigan.

Wigan's main problem this year was the inability to score goals, and that's rather obviously a problem when your manager(s) insist, despite signing two proven goalscorers elsewhere in Andy Delort and Oriol Riera, playing a certain Marc-Antoine Fortune... He's just the pits.

If Billy McKay can't get a game beyond him, I'm afraid he's simply not good enough either. McKay himself played 9 games without scoring, Delort 11 without a goal and Riera 1 in 13.

Wigan's player of the season was James McLean and I think I speak for many when I say I'd rather not have him at Ibrox :lol:

Still other fringe players like Taylor-Sinclair, its not worked out for, for whatever reason. That's a surprise because Wigan's first choice left back Andrew Taylor (a good player for Cardiff under Malkay) had a terrible, terrible year.

Don Cowie is another player fans didn't like, and he's probably the most realistic signing we'd get, despite how poor he is. He's a workhorse midfielder. Puts in effort, but lacks quality to improve the team. I was happier to see him sign for Wigan than I was us last year, and this season only further backed up my opinion.

Jermaine Pennant came to Wigan and provided a little spark for the team, but really only because he scored almost every free-kick he took, apart from that he's ageing, no sell-on value, and not a player we should look to.

I would however take a punt on Martin Waghorn. Always impressed by him, scored a load of goals the tail end of last year, a striker who was played out of position all year, yet when he did play, he scored. He's young too but his issue is he's a little stocky in my opinion. He looks as if he's in much better shape this year though!

Also I'd look at Leon Barnett as he's a commanding defender. He'd be a much better option than our current defenders, but there are much better options out there.

One more is James Tavernier, on loan at Bristol City he's had a decent season for them as they got promoted. A young right-back signed from Newcastle who it actually surprised me to see him be sent out on loan, but Malkay just didn't fancy him.

Fair to say though, overall, Wigan aren't the club to be looking at for too many improvements, but you never know.

That's if you've been mad enough to read all of that! :)

I liked Bendiksen too. Was never really going to work because we struggle to fit in players who prefer the 'no 10' role.

We always just play them out wide, if you look at Adam, Bendiksen and to a lesser extent Shiels.

It's my favourite position as well. I love a player like Eriksen at Spurs who plays off the striker, and has a free role to just control the game. Maybe the way football is played doesn't allow that sort of player to really shine though.

Allan for starters.

The likes of Vuckic and Ciftci are beyond what we can offer no matter where we are next season IMO.

Hibs have already turned down a bid of 250k for Scott Allan by Dundee United, I am hearing Wilson is signing for us.

It's my favourite position as well. I love a player like Eriksen at Spurs who plays off the striker, and has a free role to just control the game. Maybe the way football is played doesn't allow that sort of player to really shine though.

Yeah we've had able players but really struggled to integrate them with our fascination with 4-4-2. Even now I'd prefer to see a diamond four if we continue with 4-4-2 and play Vuckic at the tip of it.

Vuckic

Law Shiels

Murdoch

Then just have our fullbacks providing width. I still think it'd be suicide playing with only 4 in midfield against Hibs though.

Yeah we've had able players but really struggled to integrate them with our fascination with 4-4-2. Even now I'd prefer to see a diamond four if we continue with 4-4-2 and play Vuckic at the tip of it.

Vuckic

Law Shiels

Murdoch

Then just have our fullbacks providing width. I still think it'd be suicide playing with only 4 in midfield against Hibs though.

I think we should sacrifice a striker for the game at Pamerston too.

We really struggle on that surface and they murdered us on the counter attack in the 3-0 game.

Shiels, Murdoch and Law all playing in the middle for me in that game for me.

I think we should sacrifice a striker for the game at Pamerston too.

We really struggle on that surface and they murdered us on the counter attack in the 3-0 game.

Shiels, Murdoch and Law all playing in the middle for me in that game for me.

Yeah I'd agree with that, too.

Hopefully this week we're focussing on stopping counter attacks, because QOTS and Hibs are two of the sides who have absolutely ruined us on the break.