Interesting Warburton Interview On His "vision" By Herald

It's not brand new, but contains more than I'd read elsewhere.

Rangers target Warburton sets out his vision of a perfect future

Gary Keown

Wednesday 10 June 2015

MARK WARBURTON has told Rangers that he wants to base his next project around a core of young players, a streamlined squad and a commitment to playing passing football.

28575042.jpg
EYES ON THE PRIZE: Mark Warburton is clear about what he wants to do at his next club

The 52-year-old Englishman has held talks with the Ibrox club over their managerial position and is also attracting interest from Fulham as he seeks to make a rapid return to work after leaving Brentford along with his assistant, David Weir, at the end of the season.

Warburton has detailed his vision of the future at his next club and much of it will chime with an Ibrox board looking at a wholescale restructuring of all aspects of their business and a target set by the new chairman, Dave King, of bringing in 45,000 season ticket holders.

"I strongly believe in youth," said Warburton. "I really believe that you can get young, hungry players who can embrace ideas and you marshal them with one or two senior pros who can really mentor them. That is a nice balance.

"I am also a big believer in smaller squads. I think Brentford used the least number of players, 24, over the course of the season. I think that tells you that you can keep a squad lean and hungry.

"I don't want to come across as arrogant, but I hope very much that the way we played at Brentford last season tells you a lot about Davie and me.

"People refer to playing the game the right way. That is nonsense.

"It is about playing the game your way. If you win trophies by being very long and direct, so be it, but I like to have players who can dominate a football, are comfortable in possession and enjoy being in possession."

Warburton has also made it clear, though, that he is keen to sign a deal and get down to business as quickly as possible as Rangers edge closer to a making a decision on the man they want to lead them into a second campaign in the SPFL Championship that really must deliver promotion.

The one-time city trader remains the bookmakers' favourite to take over the reins at Ibrox, but he has been open about the fact he has been talking to more than one club over the past few weeks.

Warburton insists that having time to construct a squad and be with them throughout the entirety of pre-season is absolutely crucial for any coach and is evidently looking to have his future sorted out sooner rather than later.

"A lot of people say to you that you should take three or four months out, but that is not my style," he said.

"I like working, I like being busy and I like knowing what I am doing.

"My background is to get straight back into it. You want to keep learning, keep pushing forward and see how good you can be. It is important to do what you think is right.

"This is the most important time of year. Pre-season is vitally important and it is a time when coaches and managers can bond with the players and get their ideas across.

"You have actually got time to work with them. That is the key thing. Later in the year, it is very much reactive. This is the ideal time now and it is important for clubs to get their choice in situ sooner rather than later.

"You have to respect that clubs will make decisions by their timetable, but, last season, we had a really good season (at Brentford) because we had a good pre-season."

Stuart McCall remains a contender for the manager's job at Rangers despite failing to guide the club through the end-of-season play-offs and Warburton refuses to go into detail over what he would do at Ibrox out of respect to him.

"Nothing disrespectful has been done on my part or David Weir's part," he said.

"I have had informal chats with a couple of clubs," he said. "If all goes well, they will go forward from there."

Warburton has also claimed that he has no demands over the level of football in which he manages next, whether that be the SPFL Championship or the second tier of the English game.

"I don't think anyone is in a position to demand a level," he stated. "You have to look at a club and hope the parties have chemistry. Do you get on and do the philosophies align?

"If that all fits into place, you are in a good place."

If this has already been posted, then I'll merge, but I've not seen this full interview elsewhere.

I have to say I had my doubts about Warburton becoming manager, mainly due to his lack of experience and his lack of knowledge of the Scottish game, but having watched that wee video, he does seem exactly what we need.

A guy playing a youthful team, with added experience obviously, in an attacking style. I hope it works out and I hope he gets to grips with the Scottish game quick. Big Dave Weir should help him so I'm a lot more optimistic than I was previously.

I felt McCall let us, or at least me down badly after that humiliating result against his old team.

The attacking philosophy sounds like Brazil, not sure we could pull that one off but if he has a good eye for a gem and gets them in then we could be on a winner. Would certainly be a change from the last three turgid years. Would rather someone with a working ethos, which seems to be the case here, than an old player bringing in his mates for a last payday, crosses a few boxes for me.

I felt McCall let us, or at least me down badly after that humiliating result against his old team.

The fact SM got us to the final playoff was a job done considering all the circumstances that we were in at the time he joined. The level of those two defeats and the utter apparent capitulation with no real game plan other than hope killed most of the good work he had done.

Don't think anyone really wants SM back if someone else is available. i could be wrong though, there are some right zoomers on here :D

The fact SM got us to the final playoff was a job done considering all the circumstances that we were in at the time he joined. The level of those two defeats and the utter apparent capitulation with no real game plan other than hope killed most of the good work he had done.

Don't think anyone really wants SM back if someone else is available. i could be wrong though, there are some right zoomers on here :D

True enough, but the 5 draws before to decide the play offs where not much good, but given the shite players we had it's maybe not all SM's fault. I certainly felt that he needed another chance, but not after the 6-1 defeat on aggr to Well.

If its to be W&W then - taking account of the interview - you'd like to think our selection team of Murray & Gilligan would have sought and got a very convincing answer to exactly how W&W would deliver the (non-negotiable) Championship this coming season if the team selection philosophy is to be mainly youth with a few experienced mentors.

I mean not just asking the question and getting a stock reply about beliefs, commitment and so on but 'so its a cold wet night in Alloa on a rubbish artificial pitch and you need 3 points from the game - tell me what your approach is to be to select the team and to set it up to win. And if we go one or two goals down and need to change it, what are the sorts of things you will be doing to recover the game and go on and win. And if its 0-0 with 10 mins to go tell me what will be the considerations you balance in deciding what substitutions to make.

And if you were W&W what sort of assurances or commitment would you have sought from M&G about a scenario where its Dec, we are not leading the league and are trailing by distance, but a catchable distance, the league leaders - will the Club stick with them when the Support is up in arms and King is still repeating his 'non negotiable' line on winning the Championship.

This, remember, from a manager who has no experience of dealing with the Scottish game and certainly no experience of delivering at a club the size of Rangers or where the requirement (yes, requirement and not expectation) is to win the Championship in your first attempt as manager, If W&W are appointed then very best wishes for them - they will have accepted a very tough challenge.

MARK WARBURTON has told Rangers that he wants to base his next project around a core of young players, a streamlined squad and a commitment to playing passing football.

WOW, that was exactly OUR hope that McWaster would follow three seasons ago.

What a lost opportunity.

Love that attitude and approach. Now all we need to go along with it are players that can actually put the ball in the opposing net and defenders who won't get raped on the counter. ;) Seriously, in Mark and Davie we trust - I have a very positive feeling about this.

I think this will be a fantastic appointment,we have to be patient with the new guy and i'm sure big Davie will have him under no illusions of the enormity of our club and the task at hand....

I'm sure Warbuton will have sounded out a few targets already and he could persuade them that a move north and playing well for a massive club,hopefully in Europe soon,could propel their careers into the top flight in England a lot faster than the traditional route down south,exciting times indeed

It's not brand new, but contains more than I'd read elsewhere.

If this has already been posted, then I'll merge, but I've not seen this full interview elsewhere.

‘lean’ ‘hungry’ young’ - he is made for us. A little bit of money, not a huge amount, and Board backing and we will be back. More optimistic than I’ve been for years.

lean hungry young - he is made for us. A little bit of money, not a huge amount, and Board backing and we will be back. More optimistic than Ive been for years.

Exactly! I thought we would sign him and said as much, but i am fuckibg buzzing tonight, very excited!

"I strongly believe in youth," said Warburton. "I really believe that you can get young, hungry players who can embrace ideas and you marshal them with one or two senior pros who can really mentor them

l don`t think he`s seen our youth or our senior players... To me he`s known for a while he had the job and the board have wrote all that bullshit for him.

Sorry but I`m sick of words without actions..Our club needs a good coach and I`m not sure we have found one.

I hope he proves me wrong

"I strongly believe in youth," said Warburton. "I really believe that you can get young, hungry players who can embrace ideas and you marshal them with one or two senior pros who can really mentor them

l don`t think he`s seen our youth or our senior players... To me he`s known for a while he had the job and the board have wrote all that bullshit for him.

Sorry but I`m sick of words without actions..Our club needs a good coach and I`m not sure we have found one.

I hope he proves me wrong

The board have wrote that for him? Eh?

You must be at it. He's been a coach and DOF, he's got much more coaching ability than your giving him credit for. The man buys and plays youngsters, in an attacking formation. It's pretty obvious that's the model we have wanted and needed yet you think he's hoodwinked us and is actually about to sign up Boyd and daly on a 4 year deal and lump balls up the park?

The board have wrote that for him? Eh?

You must be at it. He's been a coach and DOF, he's got much more coaching ability than your giving him credit for. The man buys and plays youngsters, in an attacking formation. It's pretty obvious that's the model we have wanted and needed yet you think he's hoodwinked us and is actually about to sign up Boyd and daly on a 4 year deal and lump balls up the park?

I never implied he done anything to fool anyone to get the job.

I`m simply saying he`s not been a coach long enough to have on his CV "I`m a great bloody coach"

Have you seen our last two management teams ? and you ask why I should question our clubs ability to spot a good coach.

I never implied he done anything to fool anyone to get the job.

I`m simply saying he`s not been a coach long enough to have on his CV "I`m a great bloody coach"

Have you seen our last two management teams ? and you ask why I should question our clubs ability to spot a good coach.

I think the club, in the past, has made some terrible appointments, but we've also made some good ones. I believe this one is a good one.

Out of the 5 or so candidates, Warburton was exactly the kind of coach we needed IMO.

Dunno how far into his history you've went, but he self funded some trips to Europe, around loads of different clubs, listening and learning.

Not saying he's the next messiah, but he's a darn sight better than anything we could have realistically got

With the talk of Warburtons vision being centred on young players I was very surprised looking at the Bournemouth stats from last season and seeing that apart the lads Fraser(20-21) and Wilson(22-23) their whole team was actually around a mid 20s to mid 30s side, not a great worry for me but as I said surprising how few young players he used given the talk of that being a main part of his philosophy.

With the talk of Warburtons vision being centred on young players I was very surprised looking at the Bournemouth stats from last season and seeing that apart the lads Fraser(20-21) and Wilson(22-23) their whole team was actually around a mid 20s to mid 30s side, not a great worry for me but as I said surprising how few young players he used given the talk of that being a main part of his philosophy.

He didn’t manage Bournemouth - he managed Brentford and did a very good job of it.

You can't really hold him responsible for what happened at Bournemouth, he had a lot on his plate with brentford