Bobby Russell

It was a bit harsh that souness called time on his Rangers career as I'm sure he could of played in the first couple of seasons no problem as he proved at Motherwell

I remember he came back with Motherwell and scored an absolute belter. Memory ain't great but I think we drew.

Looking at film of him, not just the goal against Eindhoven, he looks a top player. Surprised he didn't get many international caps. Another thing worth mentioning is Jock Wallace's ability to take players from either obscurity, or from lower leagues, and turn them into good Rangers players. I'm not saying Bobby Russell didn't have obvious talent, but the number of times Jock Wallace did this is remarkable; and he was not afraid to bring young players into the side and give them experience. I think Jock Wallace, had he stayed the first time, would have built a formidable side, two trebles in three years says a lot; and there is also an argument to be made that had he not been sacked the second time around that he would have built a side that would have eventually won the league anyway. Durrant, Fleck, D. Ferguson, and Hugh Burns etc would possibly all had great careers at Rangers under Jock Wallace; and very possibly they would have been part of a very successful side.

so he scored twice against us when his career was supposed to be on the downside, that souness is a Dud ha

Russell and Cooper by that time were almost joined at the hip football wise, but was time for huge changes as we suddenly started bringing in the best in British and indeed world football. In my opinion they are still two of the most talented skilled players I saw in blue jerseys and could easily stand beside the likes of Laudrup and Gascoigne.........

Russell and Cooper by that time were almost joined at the hip football wise, but was time for huge changes as we suddenly started bringing in the best in British and indeed world football. In my opinion they are still two of the most talented skilled players I saw in blue jerseys and could easily stand beside the likes of Laudrup and Gascoigne.........

Cooper and Russell seemed telepathic back in the day, I was gutted when the two of them eventually left the club.

Cooper getting sold for 50k was strange as we paid 100k for Davie dodds the same day if I remember correctly, I know it was probably down to coops wanting to play more and I would never begrudge the great man this but the fact is Cooper proved at Motherwell that he could of still done a big turn for us.

Cooper and Russell seemed telepathic back in the day, I was gutted when the two of them eventually left the club.

Cooper getting sold for 50k was strange as we paid 100k for Davie dodds the same day if I remember correctly, I know it was probably down to coops wanting to play more and I would never begrudge the great man this but the fact is Cooper proved at Motherwell that he could of still done a big turn for us.

Haha that's a good contrast with Cooper and Dodds.

You left before full - time ? :mutley:

Was Tommy McLean the manager? If so his Motherwell teams were pretty defensive when they came to Ibrox and would bore the Arse off anyone, no excuse for leaving obviously, it's all about the Gers. With the game tied at 1-1 there is no way I'd leave early.

No subway loyal here :p20:

:D