How much time should warburton be given?

17 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

That's something I actually agree with.

Warburton has made a number of mistakes but even if he ends up losing his job I think that with such a gulf in resources between us and them it's going to be very difficult for any manager to sustain a challenge them.

The defeat on Saturday didn't come out of no-where, we've played terribly all season and that's before even facing teams considered the better sides in this league. If things continue as they have been we'll be struggling for a top half finish and that can't be excused away by budgets because ours is far higher than any of the others including Aberdeen and Hearts

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, StevenDavis said:

People keep saying this; if you think there is better players available how about naming some?

Mate that the average poster on here cannot name half a dozen Centre halves that he could have signed isn't the point.  The point is there was money to spend and we have spent it in the non-priority places.  It's his job to identify who the players are, its nonsense to suggest none exist.

Fair play for defending MW, honestly I am desperate for the guy to get it right however he has thus far failed in sorting our defence out - when problems from a year ago still exist the buck stops with him I'm afraid. 

12 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

The defeat on Saturday didn't come out of no-where, we've played terribly all season and that's before even facing teams considered the better sides in this league. If things continue as they have been we'll be struggling for a top half finish and that can't be excused away by budgets because ours is far higher than any of the others including Aberdeen and Hearts

Yeah it's been coming since the first week of the srason, if my longer.

Warburton absolutely needs to do more or his job will rightly come under threat, but if he doesn't and he ends up going do you think it's going to be easy to find a manager who could sustain a challenge to them over the course of a season when you look at the vast difference in budgets and what both sides have spent to assemble their squads?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think it will be very difficult becuase usually in football you get what you pay for.

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Yeah it's been coming since the first week of the srason, if my longer.

Warburton absolutely needs to do more orhis job will rightly come under threat, but if he doesn't and he ends up going do you think it's going to be easy to find a manager who could sustain a challenge to them over the course of a season when you look at the vast difference in budgets and what both sides have spent to assemble their squads?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think it will be very difficult becuase usually in football you get what you pay for.

I don't and that's largely why I wouldn't want to see him go now despite having several doubts, we wouldn't be able to get anyone better and I don't think going down the route of chopping and changing every few months would be good for us. I didn't want to write off the league this season as I think Rangers always have to aim for the best but I knew it was a challenge, a comfortable 2nd place while getting back to playing decent football was something I'd have considered reasonable and then use next summer to prepare for a proper challenge with us also being back in the Europa League. At this stage that could all still happen of course but the start has been horrendous, Warburton has to show over the next few weeks that there's something to at least have hope for otherwise it'll be a struggle for him to continue and no talk of a long term plan will save him.

49 minutes ago, Shuggy said:

If you are going to extend back into last season, so will I and go right back to the beginning of the season. Won the championship, challenge cup, scottish cup final and beat Celtic.

No idea why you are judging Senderos on one game. On that basis, Souness was a dud having being sent off in his first game in a 2-1 defeat to Hibs?

Go back as far as you'd like, my point was that we have regressed since April, and I stand by that. 

We won the championship, but fucked up the end of the season (even drawing to a diddy team the day we were presented with the trophy)

We won a diddy cup, bravo.

We lost a lead at the end of the SC final to a team that gave birth to the term 'hibsing it'.

All of this I could have forgiven (not forgotten) if MW had strengthened in the right areas this summer, but he didn't.

As for Senderos, I saw all I needed to on Saturday, he's a coward who couldn't get off that pitch quick enough.

1 minute ago, simplythebest said:

I don't and that's largely why I wouldn't want to see him go now despite having several doubts, we wouldn't be able to get anyone better and I don't think going down the route of chopping and changing every few months would be good for us. I didn't want to write off the league this season as I think Rangers always have to aim for the best but I knew it was a challenge, a comfortable 2nd place while getting back to playing decent football was something I'd have considered reasonable and then use next summer to prepare for a proper challenge with us also being back in the Europa League. At this stage that could all still happen of course but the start has been horrendous, Warburton has to show over the next few weeks that there's something to at least have hope for otherwise it'll be a struggle for him to continue and no talk of a long term plan will save him.

That's exactly what my thoughts are at the moment too.

Sacking him right now achieves absolutely nothing. I think it was rfc52 who said we've been hunped at their midden before with better teams than we had on Saturday and we will probably be hunped there again at some point, so sacking Warburton would be incrediblely knee jerk but things must improve in the next few weeks or I think he'll be off before Christmas.

If we can get the energy of Holt & Windass in midfield, possibly with Rossiter holding & give MOH a chance then I think our football would be so much more dynamic and that would improve our performances dramatically.

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

That's exactly what my thoughts are at the moment too.

Sacking him right now achieves absolutely nothing. I think it was rfc52 who said we've been hunped at their midden before with better teams than we had on Saturday and we will probably be hunped there again at some point, so sacking Warburton would be incrediblely knee jerk but things must improve in the next few weeks or I think he'll be off before Christmas.

If we can get the energy of Holt & Windass in midfield, possibly with Rossiter holding & give MOH a chance then I think our football would be so much more dynamic and that would improve our performances dramatically.

It's true better Rangers teams have been turned over there although to be fair the celtic teams we were playing then were much better than their current one as well

The next game at New Year against them will be important so that's another reason why improvement is needed quickly. Not so much to make up the points gap because that just doesn't look realistic anyway but for our pride we can't go down to them like that again on our home turf, we need to at least make a proper competition of that game

Does anyone else think the reaction on here is a bit OTT?

Yes he deserves criticism...he should have strengthened at CH...yes he's changed the team dynamic with having Barton in the middle...yes MOH deserves a run in the team. 

But I still think to be talking of getting rid of MW before the end of this is ridiculous. Who would replace him after such a knee jerk reaction to an indifferent start?

We are a fickle lot indeed.

1 minute ago, Big Al II said:

Does anyone else think the reaction on here is a bit OTT?

Yes he deserves criticism...he should have strengthened at CH...yes he's changed the team dynamic with having Barton in the middle...yes MOH deserves a run in the team. 

But I still think to be talking of getting rid of MW before the end of this is ridiculous. Who would replace him after such a knee jerk reaction to an indifferent start?

We are a fickle lot indeed.

Any Rangers manager would be getting questioned after the way we've started the season

10 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

Any Rangers manager would be getting questioned after the way we've started the season

Didn't say he shouldn't be questioned or criticised, I said that in OP. I said the reaction is a bit OTT with regards to suggestions he should be getting sacked.

I know everyone is sore but we can all see there is a decent squad there with some very talented young players. Question is does MW have the know how to pick the best combination of those players to get back to the style of play which excited us all. 

Perhaps we should just accept that the defense will get exposed occasionally in open play and fuck it go for it. What is totally unacceptable is being unable to defend set plays.

Just now, Big Al II said:

Agreed about second, don't really see why withing 6 points is relevant, but fair enough (tu)

He has to at least come close to them its no good finishing second and being 12 or more points back. 

With a gap that big and the finances the way they are it's too big a gap to bridge next season. 

The very fact we are even talking about his job 5 games into the season shows what a dreadful start this has been. If things keep going the way they are we could be sitting mid table by Xmas - that is nowhere near good enough. At the moment his job is relying on Phillipe Senderos turning into a decent centre and the midfield finding the form and spirit of last year. Its a very thin life line.

3 hours ago, simplythebest said:

Our form started to decline after new year bar the odd game then from April (semi-final apart) it took a real nosedive and has continued into this season, so it's not as if Saturday was just one game and we don't seem to be learning or really changing anything.

I agree with your point, my main point was that this SHOULD be rock bottom, he has to realise things HAVE to change from this point, because celtic were not at their best and put 5 past us, and they will improve over the course of the season. So he has ignored (not been overly concerned) about what you say, but he cannot hide from it now. He knows changes have to happen and that should be starting today!

21 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

He has to at least come close to them its no good finishing second and being 12 or more points back. 

With a gap that big and the finances the way they are it's too big a gap to bridge next season. 

To me how we're playing is far more important, is the philosophy starting to work? Are we playing the type of football I think we're all agreed we want to see, and get back to playing? 

If the football has improved significantly then competing purely comes down to finances for me...far far more than the ability of the manager. 

31 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

The very fact we are even talking about his job 5 games into the season shows what a dreadful start this has been. If things keep going the way they are we could be sitting mid table by Xmas - that is nowhere near good enough. At the moment his job is relying on Phillipe Senderos turning into a decent centre and the midfield finding the form and spirit of last year. Its a very thin life line.

I think he should go back to playing a starting 11 as close to the starting team as he did early last year with the same tactics.

Press the ball high, high energy when not in possesion.  Let the new players try to adapt to the system rather than us try to find a system to adapt to them.  The system that wiped the floor with Dundee and beat Celtic. High intensity, the system he said he would not change. It cannot honestly be that is what we are still doing, is it?  We will still be vulnerable at the back but we are that now, not good to watch and not winning.  

9 minutes ago, OhW said:

Incorrect. The term "Hibsed it" came about when Hibs kept fucking up last season. We then "Hibsed it" in the cup final by losing two late goals and the match. 

I said we lost to a team who gave birth to the term 'hibsing it'

Were they two separate teams?

15 hours ago, pollok-bear said:

Give Warburton 2 more years after this season. nxt season he has to compete wae them and the following WIN it.

Im not saying im happy if we dnt win it this year on next but we need stability and if tht means giving him more time than anyone else gets for our great club then im for it.

Agreed.

He needs time and we have to get behind the manager and the team. It was never going to be easy our first season back, especially when we haven't spent any money with the exception of Garner. Meanwhile across the city, they're spending £4.5 million on Sinclair. With the level of spending they have done compared to us this season, it was probably unrealistic to expect us to challenge in the first place as much as we all hate to admit it. 

Finish second this season at the minimum and get back into Europe. Then hopefully we have a bit more money to spend next summer and can look to challenge next season.

Right now there is a huge gap between us and Celtic and it will take time and money to bridge that gap.

Kiernan   isn't up to playing for Rangers and  we suspected this for months, the cup final was unforgivable and i was worried about him starting at parkhead. I would never have played him but that was his last chance saloon and he failed as expected. A few weeks ago in Lee Wallace's absence the manager made Kiernan captain in a League Cup game and how high he holds this boy is absolutely alarming. What i find  frightening is that the manager will  play russian roulette and persist with a defender who is now proven to be nowhere near what is expected.

We are conceding in every game and a fortnights time is going to be massive if this management team want to stay in place.

17 hours ago, KingKirk said:

warburtons team?

the team he recruited, trained, selected as opposed a team he inherited like McCall. It's his responsibility therefore to get it functioning & it's a reflection of his whole capability as a manager. His biggest mistake so far is to roll back on his philosophy and try to adapt it to the players he's recruited. Hope he gets it right.