Rangers photo book

SkylineBlue

My Grandad is going to be 88 next week and is currently living in a care home due to dementia brought on by a stroke a few years back. Given that he's an 88 year old man with dementia, my choice of gift is pretty limited, but I did notice that he loved an old book of photos from Hamilton that my Dad got him a while back. He's a good bear and had been going to games since he was a nipper, so I'm thinking an old book of Rangers photos through the decades may be good to get his memory jogging. Does anyone have any recommendations for such a thing?

There's a great book in Costco in Springburn which has newspaper articles from famous rangers games from 1919 to present day. It's a really large book too with each page having good an actual article from the record, express, evening times etc and loads of pics too.

Hopefully it would bring back memories of the treble winning team of 1948 or 1964 - the ecwc final of 1972. 

I see you're from Hamilton so the Glasgow Costco isn't far away - highly recommended 

1 minute ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

There's a great book in Costco in Springburn which has newspaper articles from famous rangers games from 1919 to present day. It's a really large book too with each page having good an actual article from the record, express, evening times etc and loads of pics too.

Hopefully it would bring back memories of the treble winning team of 1948 or 1964 - the ecwc final of 1972. 

I see you're from Hamilton so the Glasgow Costco isn't far away - highly recommended 

I forgot all about that book, I'm going to buy it at the weekend 

11 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

I'm in Larkhall now, but still not far away. Would I need a Costco card?

1 minute ago, SkylineBlue said:

I'm in Larkhall now, but still not far away. Would I need a Costco card?

Sorry,  I should have mentioned that. If you know someone that has one then they can introduce you as a friend at the entrance  They have to be with you though and at the till. 

Apologies buddy should have said 

Sorry to hear that . My son tells me that Rangers - A Nostalgic Look At A Century of the Club by Ronnie Esplin is a good book for pictures from throughout the years . Just had a look on eBay and you could get it there for under a fiver if your quick . 

Hope the link works . 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xrangers+a+nostalgic+look+at+a+century+at+the+club.TRS0&_nkw=rangers+a+nostalgic+look+at+a+century+at+the+club&_sacat=0

There's a decent book called " When football was football " Glasgow Rangers . It's from a series detailing different clubs , mostly old pictures and reports . Costs about £ 20 + for a hardback copy and can be bought online . IIRC There's not a great deal of text but loads of old photos . I hope whatever you buy helps give an old Bear some happy memories .

9780857330369-1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

There's a decent book called " When football was football " Glasgow Rangers . It's from a series detailing different clubs , mostly old pictures and reports . Costs about £ 20 + for a hardback copy and can be bought online . IIRC There's not a great deal of text but loads of old photos . I hope whatever you buy helps give an old Bear some happy memories .

9780857330369-1.jpg

(tu) Great minds think alike . 

I see eBay are doing it 12.99 click and collect out of Argos . 

Rangers - Changing Faces by Andrew L Stevenson is also a book of pictures through our past . eBay are also doing a click and collect at Argos . 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=rangers+a+nostalgic+look+at+a+century+at+the+club&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xrangers+changing+faces.TRS0&_nkw=rangers+changing+faces&_sacat=0

1 hour ago, gmcf said:

Sorry to hear that . My son tells me that Rangers - A Nostalgic Look At A Century of the Club by Ronnie Esplin is a good book for pictures from throughout the years . Just had a look on eBay and you could get it there for under a fiver if your quick . 

Hope the link works . 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xrangers+a+nostalgic+look+at+a+century+at+the+club.TRS0&_nkw=rangers+a+nostalgic+look+at+a+century+at+the+club&_sacat=0

Think I'm going to go for this one. Thanks to everyone for their help - I appreciate it.

2 hours ago, SkylineBlue said:

My Grandad is going to be 88 next week and is currently living in a care home due to dementia brought on by a stroke a few years back. Given that he's an 88 year old man with dementia, my choice of gift is pretty limited, but I did notice that he loved an old book of photos from Hamilton that my Dad got him a while back. He's a good bear and had been going to games since he was a nipper, so I'm thinking an old book of Rangers photos through the decades may be good to get his memory jogging. Does anyone have any recommendations for such a thing?

There is also a book of old newspaper pages involving Rangers, going through the decades. I got one of them a few years ago and it's interesting to see the stories of that time as they were written. 

2 hours ago, SkylineBlue said:

Think I'm going to go for this one. Thanks to everyone for their help - I appreciate it.

I started a thread on here with a lot of old Rangers stuff,If possible you could save the pictures and get them printed in A4 or do it yourself and make your own personal book for your grandad,You could also search for old pictures of where he grew up in his younger days and also where he brought his own family up and show him them,Good exercise for the mind,You could also download some music that he listened to in his younger days and might be surprised by his response.

I'm more than happy to help you out with the old pictures and music if you need it.

11 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

That sounds good. What's the book title? It must be available outside Costco.

12 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

A few years ago an uncle on her side was given a book which was old newspaper articles think it was mostly match reports but i mind thinking thats an absolute cracker and something i hadnt seen before, sounds like the same book.

2 minutes ago, centenarystand said:

A few years ago an uncle on her side was given a book which was old newspaper articles think it was mostly match reports but i mind thinking thats an absolute cracker and something i hadnt seen before, sounds like the same book.

Used to be able to get it in the club shop before all our carry on up at the back end of the superstore where they used to do all the jewellery And stuff I think it was .