When all we had to do was field a team

Gaz52

54 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

In our accounts for this year it states "Player costs are RIFC’s most significant expenditure, including £6.4 million (2015: £6.2 million) in respect of the first team playing squad." Hearts (for example) state a wage bill of approx £5 million. 

These costs were around 7 million when we were  playing Breckinridge and the likes, money squandered with no thoughts of the future.  

There's nothing really to add- demanding the team be challenging Celtic on biscuit tin mentality or completely blowing away a settled and more experienced sheep team are quite frankly unrealistic.. ofcourse we'd want to win the league in the first season back but it was always an impossible task.   What matters most is build carefully and if it takes another 2 years to win the league whilst building a sustainable base then I'll take that.  I'll even take second with a few games to spare.

people don't realise how long it took Bayern,Juve or Barca to rebuild after various situations and they still spent millions.  We may not be playing at their level but it's still all relative

1 hour ago, Gaz52 said:

D'you remember those days? When all we had to do was put a team on the park with a few players in midfield worth a few million each and a £3-4m striker up top?

Those days are long gone now because we no longer have the money to drastically out-spend the likes of Aberdeen or Hearts.

The same people who moan about Warburton's style of play are the ones who moaned about Walter's style of play and wanted someone of MW's ilk in. Let's not kid ourselves on, we used to buy players worth more than other team's squads combined in the SPL. That's half the reason it was so easy to win games. 

I hand-on-heart remember like it was yesterday, going to places like Falkirk, Inverness, Hamilton and playing aimless long ball after long ball up the park, the atmosphere was dreadful because the football on display was turgid and brutal to watch. Please tell me I'm not alone in remembering those days? But we could always count on the fact we had far better players than the opposition to make the difference. Now we don't have that luxury, we need to work hard for our points these days, we may have a slightly bigger budget than the other 10 teams but most of that budget went on Barton & Kranjcar's wages (apparently) so we're mot going to see any of that "mammoth" budget in action again this season..

We've spent peanuts on guys from Accrington Stanley and young players from Liverpool & Leicester. Joe Garner cost over a million and we're expecting the guy to score hat-tricks with his cock every week. £1.6m in today's market is absolutely nothing, Kyle Lafferty cost us around £3-4m, does that put it into perspective a little bit? Jelavic cost us £4m. James fucking Beattie cost us £1.5m or something and he didn't even score a goal. 

I can't stand to read post after post of just spoiled fans "Get a manager in who just wants to win, who knows what being Rangers manager is all about" 

Do you not think Warburton wants to win? He's winning games on a shoe-string budget and is sticking by a philosophy that we cried for, for so long as well. The least you can do is cut the guy a break. What the tims are currently doing is what we used to be able to do, spending over £10m on players alone and running away with the title, how can we compete with that? How is any other manager going to come in and squeeze another £8m out of the board to buy players of similar quality to your Sinclair's, Dembele's etc..

The reality check for me was first Old-Firm, I seen how far ahead they were and I knew from then we can't compete with that with our current transfer policy.

If you believe there is someone else out there who can come in and change this whole thing round in a few weeks then please identify them because where I'm sitting we're a long way off being there.

I thought he would score hat tricks with his cock for fun up here

The issue for me is three fold. 

1. If we dont have real money then the expectation should have been set with the fans that the club did not expect to be challenging for the league this year and that the £30 million promised was including service of debt, and almost anything DK wanted to pull out the air. That the road would be long and hard promotion to the SPFL was only the first step. Expectations were riased and to an extent season tickets were bought on a false premise - that we would be challenging for the title (maybe we talked ourselves into it a little as well).

2. The signings have been murder. They have improved the squad but not the first team. To use MW's favourite word - we are seeing no "value" from them yet - and likely never will from the likes of Kranjcar and Senderos. We have the championship team sitting second in the league with only Dodoo the difference from last season after 90 mins on Saturday. MW needs to get his act together quickly and add quality.

3. There is nothing we can do about Celtics expenditure. To try and match it would be folly given we have posted losses of £19 million over the last 3 years and  they have been guaranteed CL and Europa league money  -  and Desmond will step in and pay some wages if required. They are guaranteed 28.8 Million euros from the CL this year - for being abject failures. Out total turnover for the last 12 months was £22 Million. At present they are on another planet, money wise.

We lack that player in midfield who demands the ball, played to him, a lot of the time. Someone like Ferguson, Souness, Gazza, and many more in their mould to boss the midfield. We probably signed Niko, and Barton, hoping they'd be that player, even Rossiter, to a lesser extent could've been signed with being that player in mind.

Look back to all the great Rangers teams of the past. They all had something in common, a strong spine.

A good quality goalkeeper, a centre back who'll die for the Jersey, a strong tackling, good passing, and good reader of the game in midfield, and someone up front who knows how to score regularly. That's what we're missing now IMHO...

"Those days are long gone now because we no longer have the money to drastically out-spend the likes of Aberdeen or Hearts."

Aye we do. They both built squads for probably less in transfer fees than we paid for MOH.

Do we not also drastically outspend Ross County? Who we can't beat.

We drastically outspent everyone last season yet performances from November onwards were more often than not dreadful. That starts to tell people that problems go deeper than having to "drastically outspend" another team.

I'm sure one of the reasons people were happy with the appointment of MW was because they thought he was a guy who could coach players to improve, a manager who wouldn't need to spend 10s of millions because he had the knowledge and style of football.

Now that they realise he's not that guy they think he needs a £20m team with £20m a year wages to beat the worst teams in the league comfortably. No longer a guy with a magic hat but a run of the mill manager that you could find anywhere.

I don't understand why people think cause we spent more we have a right to beat teams who didn't spend more. It's weird. 

We have the 2nd highest budget in Scottish football, and that is where we will finish. Until the Rangers men on the board actually become Rangers men and do what we would all do and give the club millions out of the half a billion they have between them then we won't be able to sustain a challenge for a full season. 

It's absolute nonsense that these clowns get away with the loans their giving us whilst bleating on about how big staunch Rangers men they are. If I won even £50mill on the lottery tonight I'd be damn sure I'd give Rangers £15million straight away.

You don't need to spend millions to be flexible in terms of team selection and tactics. Nobody is denying that MW has meagre resources, however many of us feel he's not making the best use of them.

No doubt like many fans he feels badly let down by DK, but he's still got a job to do

Dave King is a multi millionaire - A MULTI MILLIONAIRE! There is NOTHING stopping us competing financially with celtic other than DKs refusal to do so.

Anything said after that is an axcuse, we could have outspent celtic this season and went for the league, but the board simply did not want to invest the cash.

Either the cash is there and DK is refusing to spend it, or the cash isnt there and DK and those behind him are liars

Posts like this are basically just saying "give up guys, its never going to happen, we're never going to be great again"

FUCK THAT

What kind of fucking attitude is that to have?

This is the kind of thing that pisses me off the most, DK spouts a load of shite and folk lap it up then when he doesnt come thru folk go "that must just be the way it is"

The tarriers reading this thread will be rolling over laughing at us and how far weve fallen.

The financial troubles of today probably affect the smaller clubs a lot more than it affects us, yet we are the ones coming up with retarded fucking excuses while the rest of Scottish football is seeing it as an opportunity and we're acting like we've got our hands tied behind our backs but in reality theyre just stuffed in our pockets protecting out wallets.

Why does everything have to be so black and white with our support, if A criticises the manager then B goes "its the boards fault" and vice versa, does anyone stop to think theyre both doing shite atm? And criticism from both would stop if theyd just put the money in that they PROMISED to put in, a promise that nearly lead to us going under again. If the board backs the manager financially (which they havent) then theyll have done their job, if the manager fails then he'll have himself to blame, until that happens all this back and fourth nonsense will continue and its all down to the board not giving enough of a shit