Memories of a Legend

eejay the dj

Can't believe I was working in Clydebank today which thankfully is rare 

Anyway I was driving by the old Ground area and on pops Richard Marx "Waiting for you " 

A tune that will always remind of One of my favourite players of all time .

Davie Cooper

Surreal or what 

How we miss entertainers like these at our club nowadays 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bit too young to remember the best of Cooper, but glad to have been old enough to experience his free kick at Hampden against the sheep, and several other moments of genius. 

When will Scotland see another winger that can beat a man like Cooper could? Would that kind of player be allowed to succeed nowadays? Football is too cynical now, sadly.

18 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Bit too young to remember the best of Cooper, but glad to have been old enough to experience his free kick at Hampden against the sheep, and several other moments of genius. 

When will Scotland see another winger that can beat a man like Cooper could? Would that kind of player be allowed to succeed nowadays? Football is too cynical now, sadly.

Sadly mate .I'm missing talents like Davie

His carefree style that couldn't be tamed 

Our players are all like robots now frightened to express themselves in the way Davie would 

Still remember with vivid details being lucky enough to being at Drybrough cup final 79 and a game of some special moments 

Just thinking about all the days he gave us makes you realise how starved we are of such brilliance  

11 minutes ago, Willis said:

Was too young to really remember Cooper playing but my Dad loved him, I had a poster of him in my room since I was a baby wish I still had it

Willis mate .Your dad was like myself . Lucky as hell to have seen this guy play live .

We just never appreciated it as much at the time . He was truly the moody blue at times but when he turned it on . We could be brilliant in big games

Remember the old riot final .

If you ever watch this game . You would think , how the hell did we lose that .Broke my heart more than most .

Coop was tearing them apart . Sadly that day . D Johnstone and G Smith were well past their expired  date

37 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Willis mate .Your dad was like myself . Lucky as hell to have seen this guy play live .

We just never appreciated it as much at the time . He was truly the moody blue at times but when he turned it on . We could be brilliant in big games

Remember the old riot final .

If you ever watch this game . You would think , how the hell did we lose that .Broke my heart more than most .

Coop was tearing them apart . Sadly that day . D Johnstone and G Smith were well past their expired  date

I remember once I asked my Dad if the way people talked about Cooper was exaggerated a bit due to the fans love for him and because he died young,  he just looked at me like I was an idiot or as if i was joking and assured me that Cooper was one of the best players he'd ever seen regardless of what happened to him

Sadly never saw the great man play in the flesh even though it was my era and he has always been my footballing hero

Speaking of footballing musical tributes if you have never seen the tribute to the tune 'its a kind of magic' check it out on youtube. Fuckin brilliant, this thread gave me the notion to watch it yet again

Shows the legend at his mercurial best

:UK:

A great loss to the Club, if ever we needed a guy like Coop about it was these last few years, was coming into his own not only as a pundit but as a spokesman for the Club who defended us to the hilt. Massive loss as I say. I treasure this pic of him with my son with passion!

image.jpeg

image.gif

4 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Can't believe I was working in Clydebank today which thankfully is rare 

Anyway I was driving by the old Ground area and on pops Richard Marx "Waiting for you " 

A tune that will always remind of One of my favourite players of all time .

Davie Cooper

Surreal or what 

How we miss entertainers like these at our club nowadays 

:cheers:

Great post Eejay

I also had the pleasure of seeing him play, and you are dead right Eejay ... a talent that is well missed in the modern game ... and not lost or dimmed in the passing of time.

like all of us I was devastated when it came over the news in1995, that he had passed away, and could not believe or take it in that he was really dead .... he will always be a good memory ... shame he went so early ..... one who truly deserves the accolade of being a legend.

:UK:  PS:- Idiot that I am I had him gone 10 years earlier ... apologies .... :duh:

11 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

Great post Eejay

I also had the pleasure of seeing him play, and you are dead right Eejay ... a talent that is well missed in the modern game ... and not lost or dimmed in the passing of time.

like all of us I was devastated when it came over the news in1985, that he had passed away, and could not believe or take it in that he was really dead .... he will always be a good memory ... shame he went so early ..... one who truly deserves the accolade of being a legend.

I was lucky enough to sit at a dinner months before he passed away, Charlie knicker was at the table and both were cock a hoop about the training school and tv show they were INvolved IN. Some of the memories he left us with have you wondering IF he really did do that IN a game and when you dig out the old video clips you realise you hadnt dreamt about the wee bit of skill from scoring direct from corners too taking on 4 or 5 .

And too think John Greig wanted to swap him for Ralph Callaghan at Hibs. Thank god Hibs pulled out that deal.

1 minute ago, piperpete said:

I was lucky enough to sit at a dinner months before he passed away, Charlie knicker was at the table and both were cock a hoop about the training school and tv show they were INvolved IN. Some of the memories he left us with have you wondering IF he really did do that IN a game and when you dig out the old video clips you realise you hadnt dreamt about the wee bit of skill from scoring direct from corners too taking on 4 or 5 .

And too think John Greig wanted to swap him for Ralph Callaghan at Hibs. Thank god Hibs pulled out that deal.

:tu:

Good post mate,

..... you're right there Pete .... as great a player as he was, if big John had pulled that off he would have been more unpopular as a manager, and that would have been his lasting legacy ... thankfully it didn't happen and we got to see a star act playing for us, and not ripping us apart playing for some other club.

40 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

Great post Eejay

like all of us I was devastated when it came over the news in1995, that he had passed away, and could not believe or take it in that he was really dead .... he will always be a good memory ... shame he went so early ..... one who truly deserves the accolade of being a legend.

:UK:  PS:- Idiot that I am I had him gone 10 years earlier ... apologies .... :duh:

So did i mate .That is because we are scenile old codgers eh ?

You helped me correct earlier post 

18 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

:tu:

Good post mate,

..... you're right there Pete .... as great a player as he was, if big John had pulled that off he would have been more unpopular as a manager, and that would have been his lasting legacy ... thankfully it didn't happen and we got to see a star act playing for us, and not ripping us apart playing for some other club.

Take IT you dont count his time wt Motherwell ?:tongue:

48 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

A great loss to the Club, if ever we needed a guy like Coop about it was these last few years, was coming into his own not only as a pundit but as a spokesman for the Club who defended us to the hilt. Massive loss as I say. I treasure this pic of him with my son with passion!

image.jpeg

image.gif

BD  .That is awesome photo of Davie with your young lad .If he is as nuts as you about the Rangers .Then he will treasure that for rest of his life ?

2 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

So did i mate .That is because we are scenile old codgers eh ?

You helped me correct earlier post 

:lol:

I sometimes wonder how I manage to remember anything at times mate ..... must be we were caught up in the nostalgia of the great man .... that's my excuse anyway bud ..... :p:

7 minutes ago, piperpete said:

Take IT you dont count his time wt Motherwell ?:tongue:

:lol:

..... But of course mate .... that's where selective memory comes in handy ..... plus .... although he ripped our defence apart playing for them, I could never hold that against him .... not after he had given us so much to cheer about ..... :p: