Rangers captain

scottyc06

Needs changed!! 

In his role as captain what exacty does Lee Wallace bring us? Desperate performance as a team tonight and yet this imposter did fuck all in the way of rallying the troops! At one point I actually seen Rossiter (youngest player on the park for us?) trying to lift the team! Not only lifting the team but actually telling Wallace to keep the head up!

Can you imagine, the abuse Ferguson or Gough would have given that team tonight after going 1 down, never mind 2 down and crashing out of Europe! No doubt we'll hear that words were exchanged in the dressing room, after it's too late!

No fight! No encouragement! Fuck all! 

1 hour ago, scottyc06 said:

Needs changed!! 

In his role as captain what exacty does Lee Wallace bring us? Desperate performance as a team tonight and yet this imposter did fuck all in the way of rallying the troops! At one point I actually seen Rossiter (youngest player on the park for us?) trying to lift the team! Not only lifting the team but actually telling Wallace to keep the head up!

Can you imagine, the abuse Ferguson or Gough would have given that team tonight after going 1 down, never mind 2 down and crashing out of Europe! No doubt we'll hear that words were exchanged in the dressing room, after it's too late!

No fight! No encouragement! Fuck all! 

We've not had a captain for about three seasons now!

1 minute ago, RDFM said:

WHY DOES ANYONE CARE ITS ONLY AN ARMBAND HOLY FUCK ITS A GENUINELY MEANINGLESS GESTURE.

Its much much more than that. Its being the leader on the pitch,the one guy who should instill passion and fight into the team, pick guys up when they are down and boot them up the arse when needed. He is the managers voice on the pitch. I don't see any of that in Wallace. Lovely big guy but that's not what we need

Just now, scottyc06 said:

No, it's not! 

Yes it is, it means absolutely nothing. It doesn't enhance the leadership skills of the wearer nor does it dimish the leaderships skills of those not. It literally just decides who walks out first at games.

1 minute ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Its much much more than that. Its being the leader on the pitch,the one guy who should instill passion and fight into the team, pick guys up when they are down and boot them up the arse when needed. He is the managers voice on the pitch. I don't see any of that in Wallace. Lovely big guy but that's not what we need

Why should one guy with an armband be the leader? Why should one guy with an armband instil passion and fight? Why should..... 

You get my point. Means fuckall.

Just now, RDFM said:

WHY DOES ANYONE CARE ITS ONLY AN ARMBAND HOLY FUCK ITS A GENUINELY MEANINGLESS GESTURE.

That's why we are leaderless and rudderless on the park.  Every great team has a captain that directs , commands, instructs, motivates, encourages and gives team mates hell when needed. But no, we've got mr mouse who says fuck all twice and does nothing of the afore mentioned. Think of all,the great Rangers captains of the past, they were all leaders and massively vocal. You are way out with this.

Just now, Blueofblood said:

That's why we are leaderless and rudderless on the park.  Every great team has a captain that directs , commands, instructs, motivates, encourages and gives team mates hell when needed. But no, we've got mr mouse who says fuck all twice and does nothing of the afore mentioned. Think of all,the great Rangers captains of the past, they were all leaders and massively vocal. You are way out with this.

It's only an armband. 

It doesn't dimish how vocal our other players can be nor does it mean that only the man with the red armband should shout.

Its a status symbol and the most trivial "issue" at the club.

1 minute ago, RDFM said:

Why should one guy with an armband be the leader? Why should one guy with an armband instil passion and fight? Why should..... 

You get my point. Means fuckall.

I get the point that we need 11 lions on the pitch,but there has always been one loud,dominant voice and that is the captain. Its a structure and a discipline. Gough, butcher, greig, amoruso, even Barry Ferguson. The captain should be inspirational to the others. There's a knack to it

Just now, RDFM said:

It's only an armband. 

It doesn't dimish how vocal our other players can be nor does it mean that only the man with the red armband should shout.

Its a status symbol and the most trivial "issue" at the club.

I know what you are saying about others being vocal, however as someone has mentioned the captain carries the managers messaging and should be listened to on the park, from set pieces to penalties etc. It's an important role in the world of football at any level.  Guess we will need to agree to disagree. 

Just now, Negri's lovechild said:

I get the point that we need 11 lions on the pitch,but there has always been one loud,dominant voice and that is the captain. Its a structure and a discipline. Gough, butcher, greig, amoruso, even Barry Ferguson. The captain should be inspirational to the others. There's a knack to it

It's just an armband, that's it.

You don't need to be some kind of iconic figure to wear it and if it was this legendary vision of all things Rangers and leadership wearing it game in game out, it wouldn't actually impact the team at all because it's a glorified status symbol.

9 minutes ago, RDFM said:

Trying telling that to John Greig, Richard Gough etc - when it's the armband associated with Glasgow Rangers everyone should care

Just now, Almacger said:

Trying telling that to John Greig, Richard Gough etc - when it's the armband associated with Glasgow Rangers everyone should care

If I could contact them I would, alas I don't so I shan't. 

1 minute ago, RDFM said:

It's just an armband, that's it.

You don't need to be some kind of iconic figure to wear it and if it was this legendary vision of all things Rangers and leadership wearing it game in game out, it wouldn't actually impact the team at all because it's a glorified status symbol.

Unless the game has changed since I played it, I always looked to the captain for onfield guidance and direction. He had the ear of the manager and is the guy off field you would talk to. Its about more than just what you see on the pitch. To me its a pivotal role. If the captain isn't vocal or a good leader \ communicator the manager can put as many ideas over in training as he wants but he is the guy on the pitch who sees the plans are carried out

In going a long time back before football became a poofs game (aye ok with the PC shite) a Rangers captain would impose himself on a game, any , every game. If he was off form he would still make himself known and kick the shit out of anything, anyone and make sure he was loud. He would drive the team on and bollock anyone who made a mistake, misplaced pass etc even if they were having a great game. He feared no man, no matter if that player was 10 times the player he was.

These days  I have no idea what a team captain does on the park.