Bears with kids

Begby

1 hour ago, Begby said:

Seen a few videos on twitter recently of kids first time at Ibrox, how did anyone on here get on taking there wee ones along for the first time? 

We are planning taking my nephew to his first game at the start of this season and want to know how to keep him interested in the game so we can enjoy it :lol:

I've got a wee one as well and i'm petrified he grows up and hes not interested in Rangers/football  his mum says we cant be pushy parents but when the time comes i wont be able to help it. Got years to think about it but cant wait until the time comes!

Don't have to be pushy mate, just do what every other dad does.  Take him to games with you, buy him strips/training gear etc.  He will quickly become addicted.  Mums can have input into other parts of their childhood, its all about teamwork.

17 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Behind every successful child is a pushy parent. it's your job to be pushy and to set expectations.

Push them too hard and they can rebel against you then all your expectations are ruined and the kid becomes a loser, there's a fine balance.

Just now, plumbGER said:

Push them too hard and they can rebel against you then all your expectations are ruined and the kid becomes a loser, there's a fine balance.

of course there is. Its a sliding scale - not everybody is Andy Murray - there is a huge difference between forcing your kids to do something and making them aware you expect them to do it

26 minutes ago, Begby said:

His mums of the view that if he doesn't like it he doesn't like it and we aren't to push him or make him go, not just with taking him to the football but with everything  :lol: Suppose ill just have to wait and see when he grows up!

Thats giving the wean too much power to make their own decisions imo.

Sometimes kids have to be made to do something before realising theyll enjoy it. I cant count how many films my daughter didnt want to watch then id say "well thats what we're watching" then she loved them, happens all the time with kids, they think they know everything. No offence but i think your mrs opinion on this is just silly. How will he know he likes it if hes never been? Seems like a bad way to think of it. Kids need to be introduced to things they cant discover it all on their own. id probably have never been that into football if my dad hadn't taken me and now Rangers is one of the most important parts of my life for me

just tell your mrs youre taking him to the pictures then take him to a game and when she complains tell her to shut her hole ?

22 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

of course there is. Its a sliding scale - not everybody is Andy Murray - there is a huge difference between forcing your kids to do something and making them aware you expect them to do it

True and taking them along to the football is hardly punishment, well the last few years could be viewed that way:lol:

I always remember my mate, whos whole family are Rangers through and through, about his dads reaction the day his big sister decided to come home with a crucifix on:lol: to say he was angry was an understatement but she was a bit of a rebel at the time but was told in no uncertain terms to get her act together. She has kids of her own now who follow Rangers so she heeded the advice.

43 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

turned out not too bad for her and her lads

Aye she’s done well for herself off the back of their talent.

I think some kids react positively to pushy parents and others can go the opposite way. I was the latter, made to go a school I was never comfortable at and made to study while my pals were out kicking a ball about. 

I made a decision to take more of a back seat with my own two, and they have both achieved far more than I ever did.

The first game I took my eldest to was the game against Cowdenbeath in the Scottish Cup, January 2016.  He was only 9 at the time but had been at me to get to Ibrox for ages.  Absolutely loved it and was made up to see a few goals too.   Went up from Ayr on the Red Stone Inn bus and it was bitterly cold.  Outwith needing to go for a pish a couple of times, he sat mesmerised the whole game.  Always remarks that it was the game Harry Forrester made his debut.  Its weird the things they remember.

4 hours ago, Begby said:

I thought i seen a thread on it before actually! should have just looked for that haha. 

Take it you had a nightmare then mate? :lol:

Hopefully my nephew will be sound, he likes playing football but just dont know if he will be able to sit on his arse for 90 mins 

Yeah.  I took 5 of mine along.  2 oldest just sat and moaned that the internet was pish and the 2 youngest ones were more interested in wanting to go wandering or annoying anyone they could annoy.  Worst part was they sat and watched last 20 mins or so of first half and all 2nd half on tv with no complaints