Devoted football fans experience 'dangerous' levels of stress

VallancesDog

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51222376

Devoted football fans experience such intense levels of physical stress while watching their team they could be putting themselves at risk of a heart attack, research suggests.

The Oxford study tested saliva from Brazilian fans during their historic loss to Germany at the 2014 World Cup.

It found levels of the hormone cortisol rocketed during the 7-1 home defeat in the semi-final.

This can be dangerous, increasing blood pressure and strain on the heart.

The researchers found no difference in stress levels between men and women during the game, despite preconceptions men are more "bonded to their football teams".

Dr Newson suggested stadiums should dim the lights and play calming music after crunch games.

"Clubs may be able to offer heart screenings or other health measures to highly committed fans who are at the greatest risk of experiencing increased stress during the game," she added

My concern with things like this are that we are getting to a stage as a society where anything 'risky' or 'potentially damaging' will be designed out of our daily/social experiences.

Whilst it initially seems like a good idea to fix these 'challenge' areas and create a calm and content space; I contend that we are actually shortening the distance between person and experience so much that those creating these experiences are essentially molly coddling the participant the way a parent would a child. 

It can be stifling and creates more frustration in the long run when the person comes away from all of these overly designed experiences into the cold indifferent reality of life where they haven't been conditioned to be used to a calming experience post-stress.

We've seen it before with the latest generation who were molly coddled after 9/11: entitled, afraid, seeking comfort, still immature into adulthood.

Life is risky. Life is tough. It's also subjective - what one person finds stressful another will find exciting. 

Just had SSN on for, literally, a minute over lunch.

My stress levels are through the roof after this brief snippet revealed scum players celebrating like they won the title yesterday, then various parties trying to cover up the Thumb’s stamp!

If I hadn’t just left the channel where they’d had our 4-2 win where Lambert got his head kicked in, I’d have been throwing stuff at the TV!

7 hours ago, VallancesDog said:

My concern with things like this are that we are getting to a stage as a society where anything 'risky' or 'potentially damaging' will be designed out of our daily/social experiences.

Whilst it initially seems like a good idea to fix these 'challenge' areas and create a calm and content space; I contend that we are actually shortening the distance between person and experience so much that those creating these experiences are essentially molly coddling the participant the way a parent would a child. 

It can be stifling and creates more frustration in the long run when the person comes away from all of these overly designed experiences into the cold indifferent reality of life where they haven't been conditioned to be used to a calming experience post-stress.

We've seen it before with the latest generation who were molly coddled after 9/11: entitled, afraid, seeking comfort, still immature into adulthood.

Life is risky. Life is tough. It's also subjective - what one person finds stressful another will find exciting. 

I am more worried about a second ref vote and cunts running about stabbing people. Oh and the shop shutting early so I can't get my beer.

Priorities are very important.

On 03/02/2020 at 10:15, VallancesDog said:

I agree, but what has 9/11 got to do with anything?

3 hours ago, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

I agree, but what has 9/11 got to do with anything?

The theory, quite observable, by the authors of the “molly coddling of the American mind” book (I forget the author as I’m walking about)... that after the horrendous nature of 9/11 parents kept their children in a bubble. This led them to engaging more with the online community and developed into the snowflake generation that we have now.

The book puts it across much more eloquently than me - worth a read. 

edit: 

http://divestthis.com/2018/11/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind-part-1.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

On 03/02/2020 at 10:15, VallancesDog said:

Like living in the world if demolition man.

Sandra Bullock was a fucking ride in that movie to be fair.

Archived